-   -   fglrx driver (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/710915-fglrx-driver.html)

"Roman V.Leon." 10-09-2012 05:43 PM

fglrx driver

Gents and Ladies :-) please advise.

I have an HP notebook with Ati Radeon 4200 GPU on board and sometimes i
like to play old good windows games with help of "wine" while my little
daughter is sleeping. But recently a real disaster had happened, ATI
dropped a support of Radeon 4xxx cards and after update i was oblige to
install a radeon driver instead of fglrx. Unfortunately this driver
doesn't allow me to play Heroes of MM V. I tried to return to previous
version of fglrx-driver(from snapshots.debian.org repo), but didn't
succeed in it because driver depends on many packages including Xorg and
so forth. I also tried fglrx-legacy-driver from experimental repository,
but it hangs my system. Could you suggest please what steps i should do
to manage my radeon working as it was before. My debian version is
wheezy, current version of radeon driver which i see in the repo is
1:12-6+point-1.

It is really important because i can't eat, i'm always in a bad mood,
i'm bad with women and i'm suffering from insomnia without my old good
games :-))) Thank you in advance.

P.S.
Please do not advise any pills.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Archive: 50746244.7090407@meta.ua">http://lists.debian.org/50746244.7090407@meta.ua

Darac Marjal 10-10-2012 12:57 PM

fglrx driver

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:43:32PM +0400, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
> Gents and Ladies :-) please advise.
>
> I have an HP notebook with Ati Radeon 4200 GPU on board and
> sometimes i like to play old good windows games with help of "wine"
> while my little daughter is sleeping. But recently a real disaster
> had happened, ATI dropped a support of Radeon 4xxx cards and after
> update i was oblige to install a radeon driver instead of fglrx.
> Unfortunately this driver doesn't allow me to play Heroes of MM V. I
> tried to return to previous version of fglrx-driver(from
> snapshots.debian.org repo), but didn't succeed in it because driver
> depends on many packages including Xorg and so forth. I also tried
> fglrx-legacy-driver from experimental repository, but it hangs my
> system. Could you suggest please what steps i should do to manage my
> radeon working as it was before. My debian version is wheezy,
> current version of radeon driver which i see in the repo is
> 1:12-6+point-1.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FYI, I don't see this version at
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Did you install the non-free firmware along with the radeon driver? Did
"Heroes of MM V" report any errors or is performance simply lacking?

> It is really important because i can't eat, i'm always in a bad
> mood, i'm bad with women and i'm suffering from insomnia without my
> old good games :-))) Thank you in advance.

If it's that important to you, why not install Windows alongside Linux
and boot into it to play the games?

> P.S.
> Please do not advise any pills.

% apt-cache show pills
N: Unable to locate package pills
E: No packages found

Steven Rosenberg 10-12-2012 07:13 PM

fglrx driver

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:43:32PM +0400, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
>> Gents and Ladies :-) please advise.
>>
>> I have an HP notebook with Ati Radeon 4200 GPU on board and
>> sometimes i like to play old good windows games with help of "wine"
>> while my little daughter is sleeping. But recently a real disaster
>> had happened, ATI dropped a support of Radeon 4xxx cards and after
>> update i was oblige to install a radeon driver instead of fglrx.
>> Unfortunately this driver doesn't allow me to play Heroes of MM V. I
>> tried to return to previous version of fglrx-driver(from
>> snapshots.debian.org repo), but didn't succeed in it because driver
>> depends on many packages including Xorg and so forth. I also tried
>> fglrx-legacy-driver from experimental repository, but it hangs my
>> system. Could you suggest please what steps i should do to manage my
>> radeon working as it was before. My debian version is wheezy,
>> current version of radeon driver which i see in the repo is
>> 1:12-6+point-1.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FYI, I don't see this version at
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-radeon
>

> Did you install the non-free firmware along with the radeon driver? Did
> "Heroes of MM V" report any errors or is performance simply lacking?

I have this chip in my Lenovo G555 laptop, purchased in March 2010.
When I first got the laptop, I was running Fedora 13, and I eventually
tried the fglrx driver. The whole thing was a nightmare. It seemed to
break with every kernel update. Trying to manage it outside the normal
package management was not easy. (It didn't help that the maintainer
of fglrx for RPM Fusion was months behind at that time.)

I finally moved to Debian Squeeze using the open-source radeon driver,
and things have been great ever since.

I'm not a gamer, I grant you, but performance of the radeon driver has
been excellent. I'm running Wheezy now, and it's still performing
great.

>> It is really important because i can't eat, i'm always in a bad
>> mood, i'm bad with women and i'm suffering from insomnia without my
>> old good games :-))) Thank you in advance.

> If it's that important to you, why not install Windows alongside Linux
> and boot into it to play the games?

I second the other comment -- for big-time Windows games, keep a small
Windows installation on your system.

Gary Dale 10-12-2012 07:55 PM

fglrx driver

On 12/10/12 03:13 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

[...]

I'd just like to second the endorsement for the open source drivers.
It's a pity that NVidia and AMD haven't (yet?) figured out that they
would be serving their customer base better by opening their source.

Archive: 50787597.2080805@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50787597.2080805@rogers.com

"Roman V.Leon." 10-12-2012 08:05 PM

fglrx driver

On 12.10.2012 23:13, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

[...]

I had the same issues I had even pined a kernel version in
/etc/apt/preferences to avoid rebuilding the fglrx-driver, but in the
end it didn't save me.

I finally moved to Debian Squeeze using the open-source radeon driver,
and things have been great ever since.

I'm not a gamer, I grant you, but performance of the radeon driver has
been excellent. I'm running Wheezy now, and it's still performing
great.

It is really important because i can't eat, i'm always in a bad
mood, i'm bad with women and i'm suffering from insomnia without my
old good games :-))) Thank you in advance.

If it's that important to you, why not install Windows alongside Linux
and boot into it to play the games?

I second the other comment -- for big-time Windows games, keep a small
Windows installation on your system.

Thank you Steven and Darac, I think you are right, it will be the best I
can do in this situation.
If be honest of course games are not a real problem for me, but I just
can't understand Ati's politics.
I can't understand why is free support, I mean those people who make
open-source driver,
is much better than commercial support, it's beyond me. I beg your
pardon for my English.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Archive: 50787821.9020309@meta.ua">http://lists.debian.org/50787821.9020309@meta.ua

Gary Dale 10-12-2012 08:16 PM

fglrx driver

On 12/10/12 04:05 PM, Roman V.Leon. wrote:

On 12.10.2012 23:13, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Darac
Marjal<mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

The issue is that their proprietary drivers may (accidentally) involve
patented code belonging to a competitor or it may involve code they are
attempting to keep secret hoping to get a competitive edge. Either way,
they don't want their competitors to know what their doing. This is the
dark underside of the competitive model. There are too many secrets to
be kept.

The open source drivers work better (in terms of integration with the X
server) because the maintainers can adjust them to the latest changes in
X and other graphic software. Unfortunately due to the problems noted
above, they can't keep up with the proprietary drivers in terms of
performance with the latest cards.

It's possible this situation may change in the future for two reasons.
One is that AMD is trying to open more of its source. The other is that
the superior open source development model may eventually lead to
drivers that are superior to the closed source ones providing that the
licences follow the GPL which would prevent them from being included in
proprietary software.

This is a key advantage that the GPL has over the BSD and similar
licenses. Open Source work stays open.

Archive: 50787AAF.3040507@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50787AAF.3040507@rogers.com

Steven Rosenberg 10-12-2012 11:49 PM

fglrx driver

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> The open source drivers work better (in terms of integration with the X
> server) because the maintainers can adjust them to the latest changes in X
> and other graphic software. Unfortunately due to the problems noted above,
> they can't keep up with the proprietary drivers in terms of performance with
> the latest cards.
>
> It's possible this situation may change in the future for two reasons. One
> is that AMD is trying to open more of its source. The other is that the
> superior open source development model may eventually lead to drivers that
> are superior to the closed source ones providing that the licences follow
> the GPL which would prevent them from being included in proprietary
> software.

One thing I'll never understand about graphics drivers in general and
this ATI driver in particular is why they insist on having a single
driver for the whole range of cards. This really bit me hard with the
Intel driver a few years ago when kernel mode-setting came in and my
chip couldn't handle it.

Why didn't the X developers, Intel and, in this case the ATI/AMD
developers keep a driver for the older cards, even if they never add a
single new feature to it, and code a new driver for the newer cards.
That way the new cards get what they need, and the old cards continue
to run.

I could half understand why my 10-year-old Intel chip was being thrown
under the bus, but a two-year old ATI chip getting the same treatment?
It's awful.