Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Jon Dowland

Default Editing org.gnome.desktop.background in /etc/gdm3/greeter.settings doesn't change login wallpaper

Is /opt definitely mounted at the time gdm3 starts?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Lone Learner

Yes, it is. Do you think I am missing any step? What more can I do to
troubleshoot this?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Fernando Freire

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Lone Learner <learnerlone@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to change my GNOME 3.4 login background using the instructions
> in http://www.stderr.nl/Blog/Software/Gnome/Gnome3-Gdm3-Background.html
>
> But that method didn't work for me. I am using Debian (Wheezy) testing. My
> /etc/gdm3/greeter.settings file is like this:
>
> [org.gnome.desktop.background]
> picture-uri='file:///opt/wallpapers/space.jpg'
> picture-options='zoom'
>
> [org.gnome.desktop.session]
> session-name='gdm-fallback'
>
> [org.gnome.login-screen]
> logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png'
> fallback-logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png'
>
> [org.gnome.power-manager]
> icon-policy='never'
>
> [org.gnome.metacity]
> compositing-manager=false
>
> I have made sure that root as well as Debian-gdm user has permission to read
> /opt/wallpapers/space.jpg. I have also run dpkg-reconfigure gdm3 and
> /etc/init.d/gdm3 restart. But I don't see space.jpg as the login wallpaper.
> What is the issue?

This method likewise did not work for me. However, I followed these
directions from within a running X session from my gentoo box running
GNOME3.4 and was successfully able to change my background:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Configuration

I was not, however, able to change the GNOME theme, I am currently
still troubleshooting this.

HTH,
-Fernando