Old 10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Wally Lepore

Default Debian Live to USB on Windows

Hi,

I would like to install Debian Live to a USB dtive (thumb drive) on
Windows. Will this install work? I am using Debian Live to test my
hardware and firmware prior to installing "Squeeze" from a netinst
install CD (that I already buned).

In the Debian FAQ there is only a mention on how to accomplish the USB
Live version install using a Linux system. (8th FAQ from the bottom).
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

Also, I will not damage USB flash drive accomplishing the procedure?

I have 2 and 4 gig thumb drives.

Thank you

Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Whit Hansell

Regarding dual drives wincows and linux. I have done it in the past w.
the windows the first drive on the cable and linux second as slave but
in the menu system having Linux as the first menu item. That way if you
boot grub from the mbr it goes to grub and your menu and you're good to go.

Regarding installing to the thumb drive. Have never done it before but
would try:

In BIOS, set CD/DVD to first boot sequence.
Set thumb drive to second boot sequence, [assuming your mbd recognizes
thumb drives as bootable]

etc....

Then putting linux install disk in cd/dvd drive it should open up and
you should be able to get to your thumb drive and set it up as you would
a standard HD, but I would not set grub to MBR, but to the boot of the
thumb drive so you don't mess up your hard drive. I screwed up once and
set grub to mbr and then removed the linux drive later and played hell
trying to get anything to work as the boot sequence did not show the
linux drive anymore and it was a major problem for me to get the mbr
back to the windows standard. Thank God I had another computer to do
research and burn CD's.

Anyway, that's what I would do. Also this was done w. the old grub. If
you are using the new grub I'm lost on it. I just let it do it's thing
and pray.

HTH
Whit

Archive: 50705DAD.3070305@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/50705DAD.3070305@comcast.net

Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Brian

On Sat 06 Oct 2012 at 11:57:15 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> I would like to install Debian Live to a USB dtive (thumb drive) on
> Windows. Will this install work? I am using Debian Live to test my
> hardware and firmware prior to installing "Squeeze" from a netinst
> install CD (that I already buned).
>
> In the Debian FAQ there is only a mention on how to accomplish the USB
> Live version install using a Linux system. (8th FAQ from the bottom).
> http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

Win32 Disk Imager

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

> Also, I will not damage USB flash drive accomplishing the procedure?

Only if you tread on it.