Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/710079-installation-problem-dell-latitude-d810.html)

Rob Owens 10-06-2012 01:34 PM

Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810
 
On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 03:02:17PM +0200, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Debian 6.0 on a rather "old" laptop Latitude D810.
> However it hangs when detecting network hardware using the graphical
> installer.
> On the same machine I was able to boot Fedora 17 without problems.
> I have tried also connecting an ethernet cable but it also hangs.
> The kernel messages on the same machine using kernel 3.5.3 from F17 are:
>
> [ 16.608061] tg3.c:v3.123 (March 21, 2012)
> [ 16.617814] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95751) rev 4001] (PCI
> Express) MAC address 00:14:22:e2:2d:9a
> [ 16.617825] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5750 (10/100/1000Base-T
> Ethernet) (WireSpeed[1], EEE[0])
> [ 16.617834] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0]
> ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
> [ 16.617842] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]
> ...
> [ 17.285950] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
> 1.2.2kmprq
> [ 17.285957] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
> [ 17.286183] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
>
> I am using image debian-wheezy-DI-b1-i386-netinst.iso.
>
Squeeze is Debian 6.0. Are you using 6.0 or are you using Wheezy?

I've installed Squeeze on a Dell Latitude 810, using the text installer.
I always had to add 'vga=771' to the boot line, otherwise I got no
display.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20121006133414.GB15127@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20121006133414.GB15127@aurora.owens.net

Brian 10-06-2012 01:35 PM

Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810
 
On Sat 06 Oct 2012 at 15:02:17 +0200, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian 6.0 on a rather "old" laptop Latitude D810.

You are not trying hard enough. :)

> However it hangs when detecting network hardware using the graphical
> installer.

Please see below.

> On the same machine I was able to boot Fedora 17 without problems.
> I have tried also connecting an ethernet cable but it also hangs.
> The kernel messages on the same machine using kernel 3.5.3 from F17 are:
>
> [ 16.608061] tg3.c:v3.123 (March 21, 2012)
> [ 16.617814] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95751) rev 4001] (PCI
> Express) MAC address 00:14:22:e2:2d:9a
> [ 16.617825] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5750 (10/100/1000Base-T
> Ethernet) (WireSpeed[1], EEE[0])
> [ 16.617834] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0]
> ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
> [ 16.617842] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000] dma_mask[64-bit]
> ...
> [ 17.285950] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
> 1.2.2kmprq
> [ 17.285957] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
> [ 17.286183] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
>
> I am using image debian-wheezy-DI-b1-i386-netinst.iso.

This is a beta image for Wheezy. What has happened to you is a known bug
in d-i.

> Do you know any way to install it on this laptop?

Use a Squeeze 6.0.5 install image.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121006133550.GB30872@desktop

Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo 10-07-2012 06:38 PM

Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810
 
Thanks a lot!
I have now successfully installed Debian with image firmware-6.0.6-amd64-
i386-netinst.iso and it works fine. I used that because I read that my wifi card
needs non free firmware. However the WLAN configuration didn't work. The card
was detected but when trying to look for access points it wouldn't find any.
I ended up using the ethernet cable, but is it normal that it cannot find any
wlan network? The firmware seems to be installed, at least it asked to agree on
the license...
Regards,
Enrique

On Saturday 06 October 2012 14:35:50 Brian wrote:
> On Sat 06 Oct 2012 at 15:02:17 +0200, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:
> > I am trying to install Debian 6.0 on a rather "old" laptop Latitude D810.
>
> You are not trying hard enough. :)
>
> > However it hangs when detecting network hardware using the graphical
> > installer.
>
> Please see below.
>
> > On the same machine I was able to boot Fedora 17 without problems.
> > I have tried also connecting an ethernet cable but it also hangs.
> >
> > The kernel messages on the same machine using kernel 3.5.3 from F17 are:
> > [ 16.608061] tg3.c:v3.123 (March 21, 2012)
> > [ 16.617814] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95751) rev 4001]
> > (PCI Express) MAC address 00:14:22:e2:2d:9a
> > [ 16.617825] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5750
> > (10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet) (WireSpeed[1], EEE[0])
> > [ 16.617834] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0]
> > ASF[0] TSOcap[1]
> > [ 16.617842] tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: dma_rwctrl[76180000]
> > dma_mask[64-bit] ...
> > [ 17.285950] ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
> > 1.2.2kmprq
> > [ 17.285957] ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
> > [ 17.286183] ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network
> > Connection>
> > I am using image debian-wheezy-DI-b1-i386-netinst.iso.
>
> This is a beta image for Wheezy. What has happened to you is a known bug
> in d-i.
>
> > Do you know any way to install it on this laptop?
>
> Use a Squeeze 6.0.5 install image.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/5378485.f6YmBOpTJG@psd-laptop1

Brian 10-07-2012 08:54 PM

Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810
 
On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 20:38:14 +0200, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:

> I have now successfully installed Debian with image firmware-6.0.6-amd64-
> i386-netinst.iso and it works fine.

Good.

> I used that because I read that my wifi card
> needs non free firmware. However the WLAN configuration didn't work. The card
> was detected but when trying to look for access points it wouldn't find any.
> I ended up using the ethernet cable, but is it normal that it cannot find any
> wlan network? The firmware seems to be installed, at least it asked to agree on
> the license...

Only WEP is available when installing Squeeze. Maybe that was the problem.
Wheezy has WPA and makes a good job of setting up a wireless connection.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121007205455.GE30872@desktop

Tony Baldwin 10-09-2012 06:57 PM

Installation problem on Dell Latitude D810
 
On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 08:38:14PM +0200, Cesar Enrique Garcia Dabo wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot!
> I have now successfully installed Debian with image firmware-6.0.6-amd64-
> i386-netinst.iso and it works fine. I used that because I read that my wifi card
> needs non free firmware. However the WLAN configuration didn't work. The card
> was detected but when trying to look for access points it wouldn't find any.
> I ended up using the ethernet cable, but is it normal that it cannot find any
> wlan network? The firmware seems to be installed, at least it asked to agree on
> the license...
> Regards,
> Enrique

I've installed Debian on a Dell d420 and a d620, and the wifi and
everything worked awesome right out of the box, without adding non-free
firmware, even.

weird...
Or maybe just the older hardware doesn't require newer/non-free
firmware?

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!
3F330C6E


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.