FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Wally Lepore
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

Hi Members,

I just downloaded the Debian netinst.iso file called
debian-6.0.6-i386-netinst.iso. The file is only 191 MB because it
installs the most basic Debian system. I then acquire the rest via the
internet.

I was reading the install instructions here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

This is extremely detailed and certainly very helpful. However since I
only have one CD to install, can I simply load the install CD and
follow on the on-screen installation walk-thru that includes setting
up the partitions (similar to Ubuntu's installer) or will I be
expecting something completely different? Just would like to know
what's headed my way before loading the CD.

The install link (above) is incredibly detailed. I found the BIOS
settings titled, "3.6.3. Miscellaneous BIOS Settings" to be very
helpful.

I will be installing Debian to a freshly wiped-clean hard drive. No
other OS will be present on the hard drive. Not a Dual boot (in this
case). I do have windows loaded on a separate hard drive but I will
remove this drive and install the Debian drive when I choose to work
with the Debian OS.

I understand I can load a dual boot using two separate drives as I
found instructions here that describe the set-up:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/

But unless someone can kindly convince me otherwise, I simply prefer
to keep both OS's from ever knowing each other. I hope this method
does not cause BIOS or firmware issues.

Thank you


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikqm6vBmCZhjhX0AqOs1EjCd9pA60UqjS=qGy9w0W4ssS g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Chris Bannister
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 07:03:11PM -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Members,
>
> I just downloaded the Debian netinst.iso file called
> debian-6.0.6-i386-netinst.iso. The file is only 191 MB because it
> installs the most basic Debian system. I then acquire the rest via the
> internet.

Yep, that is what the netinst is for.

> I will be installing Debian to a freshly wiped-clean hard drive. No
> other OS will be present on the hard drive. Not a Dual boot (in this
> case). I do have windows loaded on a separate hard drive but I will
> remove this drive and install the Debian drive when I choose to work
> with the Debian OS.

Debian will coexist with other OS's whereas Windows is a selfish OS and
wants everything for itself.

I would ditch Windows completely unless you know you need it because
you have proprietry software. Although nowadays there is usually a Linux
alternative. More importantly, is hardware support; make sure Linux will
work with your hardware.

I would grab a LiveCD and check the hardware works. At least you can get
a listing (lspci, et al) for further checks.

> I understand I can load a dual boot using two separate drives as I
> found instructions here that describe the set-up:
> http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/

Yeah, just be aware of the Disk UUID and also where you stick the MBR.

> But unless someone can kindly convince me otherwise, I simply prefer
> to keep both OS's from ever knowing each other. I hope this method
> does not cause BIOS or firmware issues.

The hardware may require firmware regardless. That is why I suggest you
get a listing of your hardware, then you can find out if firmware is
required.

--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121006085413.GD18130@tal
 
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Brian
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Fri 05 Oct 2012 at 19:03:11 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> I just downloaded the Debian netinst.iso file called
> debian-6.0.6-i386-netinst.iso. The file is only 191 MB because it
> installs the most basic Debian system. I then acquire the rest via the
> internet.
>
> I was reading the install instructions here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
>
> This is extremely detailed and certainly very helpful. However since I
> only have one CD to install, can I simply load the install CD and
> follow on the on-screen installation walk-thru that includes setting
> up the partitions (similar to Ubuntu's installer) or will I be
> expecting something completely different? Just would like to know
> what's headed my way before loading the CD.

You will have a good idea what to expect after reading Chapter 6 of the
guide. You will also have prepared for the possible need for firmware by
unzipping the file you get from

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/

to a USB stick after reading Section 2.2.

You might want to take up the offer at the partitioning stage of doing
it manually. One large partition and a GB or two of swap space would
suit many people.

> I will be installing Debian to a freshly wiped-clean hard drive. No
> other OS will be present on the hard drive. Not a Dual boot (in this
> case). I do have windows loaded on a separate hard drive but I will
> remove this drive and install the Debian drive when I choose to work
> with the Debian OS.

In this situation installing GRUB to the MBR of the drive should go very
smoothly.

> I understand I can load a dual boot using two separate drives as I
> found instructions here that describe the set-up:
> http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/
>
> But unless someone can kindly convince me otherwise, I simply prefer
> to keep both OS's from ever knowing each other. I hope this method
> does not cause BIOS or firmware issues.

Not a problem. Just do it.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121006094604.GA30872@desktop
 
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Lisi
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Saturday 06 October 2012 10:46:04 Brian wrote:
> On Fri 05 Oct 2012 at 19:03:11 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> > I just downloaded the Debian netinst.iso file called
> > debian-6.0.6-i386-netinst.iso. The file is only 191 MB because it
> > installs the most basic Debian system. I then acquire the rest via the
> > internet.
> >
> > I was reading the install instructions here:
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/
> >
> > This is extremely detailed and certainly very helpful. However since I
> > only have one CD to install, can I simply load the install CD and
> > follow on the on-screen installation walk-thru that includes setting
> > up the partitions (similar to Ubuntu's installer) or will I be
> > expecting something completely different? Just would like to know
> > what's headed my way before loading the CD.
>
> You will have a good idea what to expect after reading Chapter 6 of the
> guide. You will also have prepared for the possible need for firmware by
> unzipping the file you get from
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
>
> to a USB stick after reading Section 2.2.
>
> You might want to take up the offer at the partitioning stage of doing
> it manually. One large partition and a GB or two of swap space would
> suit many people.
>
> > I will be installing Debian to a freshly wiped-clean hard drive. No
> > other OS will be present on the hard drive. Not a Dual boot (in this
> > case). I do have windows loaded on a separate hard drive but I will
> > remove this drive and install the Debian drive when I choose to work
> > with the Debian OS.
>
> In this situation installing GRUB to the MBR of the drive should go very
> smoothly.
>
> > I understand I can load a dual boot using two separate drives as I
> > found instructions here that describe the set-up:
> > http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7
> >-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/
> >
> > But unless someone can kindly convince me otherwise, I simply prefer
> > to keep both OS's from ever knowing each other. I hope this method
> > does not cause BIOS or firmware issues.

I have in the past set up a system on which I dual-booted by having Windows on
one HDD and Linux on another. I then switched between them by changing the
boot order in the BIOS. Easier and quicker than moving disks around.

I solve the problem now by not having Windows!

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201210061114.48305.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201210061114.48305.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Wally Lepore
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

> Chris Bannister wrote: (On Oct, 06, 2012)
>
> Debian will coexist with other OS's whereas Windows is a selfish OS and
> wants everything for itself.
>

That is why I can't afford a single "trip-up" with upsetting windows.
My whole life is on that drive! Sure I have my files backed up but the
applications alone would simply take weeks to reinstall if need be.

>
> I would ditch Windows completely unless you know you need it because
> you have proprietry software. Although nowadays there is usually a Linux
> alternative. More importantly, is hardware support; make sure Linux will
> work with your hardware.
>

I understand your suggestion and "eventually" I hope to move in that
direction but -for now- its highly unlikely that I'd be able to make a
100% switch. I am involved with stock and currency trading and
utilize a whole bunch of applications for this profession. I am also a
musician and likewise utilize "Sonar" as my Digital Audio Workstation
along with a host of other applications to assist in composing music.

I also work with video editing and a host of other photo work. I
understand there are replacements for some (if not all of these)
applications, but the downtime would be enormous and I just can't
afford that right now. Step-by-step (as you already know). Thanks for
the up-lifting spirit. :-)

>
> I would grab a LiveCD and check the hardware works. At least you can get
> a listing (lspci, et al) for further checks.
>

Is this the link for the live CD?
http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

I ask because I attempted to install Ubuntu awhile back and their
LiveCd was a snap to find and download but that's a whole other story.
I'm still learning my way around Debian's web site.

>
> The hardware may require firmware regardless. That is why I suggest you
> get a listing of your hardware, then you can find out if firmware is
> required.
>

Using the Live CD link above?

Thank you for helping Chris.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CALDXikoqEy2kcQZ7-yRNWBwvP6KN_2s+-t5YnJWZ4bP6hL0TLw@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikoqEy2kcQZ7-yRNWBwvP6KN_2s+-t5YnJWZ4bP6hL0TLw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Wally Lepore
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote: (On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM),
>
> You will have a good idea what to expect after reading Chapter 6 of the
> guide. You will also have prepared for the possible need for firmware by
> unzipping the file you get from
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
>
> to a USB stick after reading Section 2.2.
>
> You might want to take up the offer at the partitioning stage of doing
> it manually. One large partition and a GB or two of swap space would
> suit many people.
>

Hi Brian,

Yes I am studying and reading Chapter 6. That link you sent me
above...is that for the LiveCD that test my hardware for firmware?

I never burned anything to a USB stick. Reading section 2.2 should be
a real education. I read in the past that burning iso images to a USB
can destroy the USB stick. It's just what I've read but I have no
experience performing this procedure as of yet.

Reading section 2.2 now. Thanks Brian.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CALDXikpaaErP50rk_fQ+93ajpO_Vcpr37jTo2KofydoyYjMu6 g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikpaaErP50rk_fQ+93ajpO_Vcpr37jTo2KofydoyYjMu6 g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Wally Lepore
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote: (On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM),
>
> I have in the past set up a system on which I dual-booted by having
> Windows on one HDD and Linux on another.
> I then switched between them by changing the boot order in the BIOS.
> Easier and quicker than moving disks around.
>
> I solve the problem now by not having Windows!
>
> Lisi

Hi Lisi,

Good point. I am aware of changing the boot order of the drives in
BIOS but someone brought up a good point awhile back.
If I have both drives on a single cable
(Windows drive set to "master" and Debian drive set to "slave"),
can I change the boot order and make a "slave" drive boot first?
I was warned that this may not work.

I thought changing the boot order only works when drives (disks)
are installed on their own separate ribbon cables and each drive
is set to "master" (obviously).

Thank you Lisi.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikoZ8HOAny8y=EtGybamMQSXFQGyxGOcDp-701AeDgCj6w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Lisi
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Saturday 06 October 2012 15:22:52 Wally Lepore wrote:
> > Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote: (On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM),
> >
> > I have in the past set up a system on which I dual-booted by having
> > Windows on one HDD and Linux on another.
> > I then switched between them by changing the boot order in the BIOS.
> > Easier and quicker than moving disks around.
> >
> > I solve the problem now by not having Windows!
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Hi Lisi,
>
> Good point. I am aware of changing the boot order of the drives in
> BIOS but someone brought up a good point awhile back.
> If I have both drives on a single cable
> (Windows drive set to "master" and Debian drive set to "slave"),
> can I change the boot order and make a "slave" drive boot first?
> I was warned that this may not work.
>
> I thought changing the boot order only works when drives (disks)
> are installed on their own separate ribbon cables and each drive
> is set to "master" (obviously).
>
> Thank you Lisi.

Hi, Wally,

It was quite a long time ago, but so far as I remember they were both on the
same cable. I think that I had both optical drives on one cable and both IDE
drives on another. It may depend on the specific motherboard and BIOS, the
specific cables and drives, even which way the wind is blowing. ;-)

The fact that it worked for me, doesn't mean that it will work for you. But
if your informant only says that it might not work, then there is nothing to
lose. Why not try it? If it works, well and good. If it doesn't work, too
bad, and go back to your original plan.

Before doing any playing around, if the stuff you have on your Windows HDD is
so precious, you really need a good backup, such as done by Clonezilla,
Norton Ghost,etc.; even dd. Indeed, you need that good a backup all the time
in case the HDD dies. (They do you know. Usually just when it is most
inconvenient.)

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201210061704.42672.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201210061704.42672.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 10:04:17AM -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>
> Is this the link for the live CD?
> http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Thats one. There is also knoppix, and various others.

> I ask because I attempted to install Ubuntu awhile back and their
> LiveCd was a snap to find and download but that's a whole other story.

If you still have it lying around, I'd use that, the software to get the
hardware is not specific to Debian. I'd just run "sudo lspci -vv " in a
terminal and save as a text file to any old USB stick you've got lying
around.

Boot CD -> Plug in USB -> find out where it is mounted, then in a
terminal issue: sudo lspci -vv > /mountpoint/lspci-list

and voila!


--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20121006185242.GA27840@tal
 
Old 10-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Wally Lepore
 
Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> You will have a good idea what to expect after reading Chapter 6 of the
> guide.
>

Hi Brian

Chapter 6 discusses using the Debian Installer. I am not utilizing the
installer. I downloaded the netinst.iso file. Is there a difference?

Here is the link that describes the netinst file that I downloaded.
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

> You will also have prepared for the possible need for firmware by
> unzipping the file you get from
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
>
> to a USB stick after reading Section 2.2.

I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
suggested and run that from the USB stick and that alone will tell me
if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
CD I created?

Appreciate the help in getting Debian installed.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikqre3=VSgk_qRi-UDhPm0MLRuKsx8QYL4SPE1__7aNLAw@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org