Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Paul E Condon

Default Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On 20121007_140524, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > You will have a good idea what to expect after reading Chapter 6 of the
> > guide.
> >

> Hi Brian
>
> Chapter 6 discusses using the Debian Installer. I am not utilizing the
> installer. I downloaded the netinst.iso file. Is there a difference?
>
> Here is the link that describes the netinst file that I downloaded.
> http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> > You will also have prepared for the possible need for firmware by
> > unzipping the file you get from
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
> >
> > to a USB stick after reading Section 2.2.
>
> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
> suggested and run that from the USB stick and that alone will tell me
> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
> CD I created?
>
> Appreciate the help in getting Debian installed.

Wally,

Windows and Debian use different file systems on disk. I think Windows
is incapable of modifying data on extN formatted disks that Debian
uses. And Windows does have some safety checks that keep you from
mistakenly formatting a disk that already has a non-Windows format on
it.

Conversely, Debian can read and write the Windows file system, but
only if you tell it to mount the Windows disk. During install you will
be given a opportunity to select what disks and partitions you want
Debian to mount in detail. Use this opportunity. Make sure you see the
Windows disk while configuring, and be sure you select "do not mount".

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Neal Murphy

On Sunday, October 07, 2012 03:18:25 PM Paul E Condon wrote:
> Windows and Debian use different file systems on disk. I think Windows
> is incapable of modifying data on extN formatted disks that Debian
> uses.

A minor NIT to pick.

There is an EXT3 driver for Winders that enables it to read and write certain
Linux file systems. It worked quite well, though it's been some years since I
used it.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20121007_152845, Neal Murphy wrote:
> On Sunday, October 07, 2012 03:18:25 PM Paul E Condon wrote:
> > Windows and Debian use different file systems on disk. I think Windows
> > is incapable of modifying data on extN formatted disks that Debian
> > uses.
>

> A minor NIT to pick.
>
> There is an EXT3 driver for Winders that enables it to read and write certain
> Linux file systems. It worked quite well, though it's been some years since I
> used it.

I didn't know that.
Wally,

I had assumed that your Windows computer is a plain vanilla Windows
machine with the only software on it purchased from a Microsoft
approved software outlet.

But if the computer you have has been powned by a Debian hating Linux
guru to has placed a version of Linux some other Linus on it in a
hidden location waiting and watching for a Debian install ... Well
even paranoids can have enemies. Be afraid, be very afraid... ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Brian

On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 14:05:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> Chapter 6 discusses using the Debian Installer. I am not utilizing the
> installer. I downloaded the netinst.iso file. Is there a difference?

No difference. They are the same thing.

> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
> suggested

Yes.

and run that from the USB stick

You do not run it, you unzip it. The contents of the zip file then get
unpacked.

and that alone will tell me
> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
> CD I created?

No. The unpacked files are used by the installer (your netinst,iso) if
they are required. It will tell you if you need to provide firmware.

You have the netinst.iso on a CD, I think. Have you actually booted from
it? If you haven't, do it immediately after reading this mail. Remove
the drive you have Windows on if you must. Read the installer Guide, stop
agonising and get stuck in. You may make mistakes, but so what. It's
only an operating system you are installing, not a procedure to replace a
defective heart. You can always start all over again.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Wally Lepore

>> On 7 October 2012 19:05, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
>> suggested and run that from the USB stick and that alone will tell me
>> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
>> CD I created?

> On Oct 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> replied:
>
> No. You have to offer that at a later stage when you are asked for it
> by the installer.

Hi Lisi,

Thanks for helping again. Can we please start over? I'm not understanding.

Before installing Debian Squeeze via the netinst.iso file, I was
advised to run the Debian LiveCd to test my systems hardware. Is this
still recommended or should I forget the liveCD and simply begin the
install process to my hard drive using the netinst CD that I burned?

If you do recommend that I simply begin the install to my hard drive,
and if during the install, the installer asked for firmware, then I
place the USB stick into the computer (that has the the firmware on
it) OR should the USB stick already be in the computer prior to the
install? This is confusing and I appreciate your help.

Here is the link where I downloaded the firmware .zip file
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/squeeze/current/

> I would strongly recommend using ethernet, not wi-fi, for your net
> install if you possibly can. It is easier and you are much less
> likely to need firmware.

Thanks for that advice. Yes, I am using ethernet for the net install.

By the way, here is a link to the motherboard I'm using to install
Debian Squeeze. The motherboard is an iWill DVD266R. The board has SMP
as it uses 'two' pentium III processors. It provides up to 4 gigs
'max' of DDR memory however I only have 1 gig of RAM installed. It
should handle Debian Squeeze (basic system) no problem. I can provide
any additional hardware specs if needed.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/iwill-dvd266-r.html

The Debian detailed instruction guide says that dual processors are
supported. See:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en#id583798

I have the raid controllers turned 'off' and using an 80 gig Western
Digital EIDE hard drive to install Debian to.

Also following instructions on section titled, 3.6.3. Miscellaneous
BIOS Settings
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s06.html.en#id586045

Complete Debian Install instructions for i386
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Just trying to get Debian installed. Thank you very much!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Wally Lepore

>On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 14:05:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>>
>> and run that from the USB stick?

> You do not run it, you unzip it. The contents of the zip file then get
> unpacked.

Yes I understand how to extract files. Sorry, I meant to say:
After downloading the zip file, do I unpack it to a folder on the USB drive?

I just extracted all the files from the firmware zip file 'as a test'
to see the contents and noticed all the files are .deb files. Ok I
understand now. I thought the firmware zip file contained an iso image
or something that needed to be burned to the USB drive. Sorry for the
confusion.

>> and that alone will tell me if any firmware is needed for my
>> system prior to running the netinst CD I created?
>>

> No. The unpacked files are used by the installer (your netinst,iso) if
> they are required. It will tell you if you need to provide firmware.

Ok, therefore both the netinst cd installer and the USB stick have to
be in the computer at boot up? or if the installer asks for the
firmware I simply plug in the USB drive that contains the firmware
files?

> You have the netinst.iso on a CD, I think.

Yes I have it already it burned to a CD.

>Have you actually booted from it?

No, not yet.

>If you haven't, do it immediately after reading this mail. Remove
> the drive you have Windows on if you must. Read the installer Guide, stop
> agonising and get stuck in. You may make mistakes, but so what. It's
> only an operating system you are installing, not a procedure to replace a
> defective heart. You can always start all over again.

Ok got it! But just to clarify. The reason I was holding back is
because it was suggested that I run the LiveCD first and see if Debian
has any issues with my hardware etc.

So what you are recommending is forget the LiveCD and just boot up the
installer and begin the install process to my hard drive?

Thanks Brian.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Brian

On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 19:02:29 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> >On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > You do not run it, you unzip it. The contents of the zip file then get
> > unpacked.
>
> Yes I understand how to extract files. Sorry, I meant to say:
> After downloading the zip file, do I unpack it to a folder on the USB drive?
>
> I just extracted all the files from the firmware zip file 'as a test'
> to see the contents and noticed all the files are .deb files. Ok I
> understand now. I thought the firmware zip file contained an iso image
> or something that needed to be burned to the USB drive. Sorry for the
> confusion.

Just copy the extracted .deb files to the USB drive. Or put the firmware
zip file on the drive and extract them there. There is no ned to put
them in a folder on the drive

> > No. The unpacked files are used by the installer (your netinst,iso) if
> > they are required. It will tell you if you need to provide firmware.
>
> Ok, therefore both the netinst cd installer and the USB stick have to
> be in the computer at boot up? or if the installer asks for the
> firmware I simply plug in the USB drive that contains the firmware
> files?

The USB stick does not have to be in computer at boot time. Take the
second option.

> >If you haven't, do it immediately after reading this mail. Remove
> > the drive you have Windows on if you must. Read the installer Guide, stop
> > agonising and get stuck in. You may make mistakes, but so what. It's
> > only an operating system you are installing, not a procedure to replace a
> > defective heart. You can always start all over again.
>
> Ok got it! But just to clarify. The reason I was holding back is
> because it was suggested that I run the LiveCD first and see if Debian
> has any issues with my hardware etc.

The firmware .debs should accomodate just about all the common hardware
a user would meet.

> So what you are recommending is forget the LiveCD and just boot up the
> installer and begin the install process to my hard drive?

That would be my recommendation. If you do not get a move on Wheezy will
have been released.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Lisi Reisz

On 8 October 2012 15:37, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then install it! As one paranoid to another, you really have nothing to lose.
>
> Ok, got it! I'm good to go!

:-)

>> BEFORE DOING ANYTHING AT ALL MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR
>> WINDOWS DRIVE WELL BACKED UP.
>
> Done! I'm good to go Lisi. Good to go!

:-))

>> Sorry to shout, but you don't seem to have taken that in!! Your
>> Windows drive is precious to you. You need to have a good backup at
>> all times. What if your drive dies? You are not paranoid enough
>> about this!!
>

> Thank you for this most important warning. Its always good to make
> sure it sinks in! It's all taken care of. I'm good to go!
>

>> Install it!!
>>
>> Good luck,
>

> Ok, I'm good to go. I'm good to go!

That's good news!

> BTW, I noticed you replied to this post off-list.

Oh, dear. I struggle rather with Gmail, which is hopefully only temporary.

> I actually posted
> some off-list replies to the list to keep the chain of events in
> order. Perhaps I shouldn't have done that but my last post I emailed
> to you (on-list) asked questions that you answered here. I just want
> to be sure that the question/answer cycle is complete for other newbie
> installers who read the thread.

Thank you. That is very helpful.

> I'll reply off-list in the future to all off-lists emails. I'm fairly
> new to this mailing list stuff as well and keep forgetting to
> "reply-all" when responding. I used to work in MS Outlook express for
> my mail prior to moving to gmail. Outlook express replied "to all"
> automatically when I responded. Gmail does not automatically do this
> which is probably better. Gmail just takes some getting used to.

You can say that again!

> If you can kindly 'add' the reply you sent me today to the user-list
> (to complete the thread) I would appreciate it.

I'll try. My previous errors do not suggest that my attempts will
necessarily be successful!

> Perhaps a shortened
> version to save you time. If you want me to add the reply just let me
> know. I'm installing Debian and have no further pre-install questions
> unless of course something happens that requires help. In that case I
> will have started a new thread (different topic).
>
> Lisi, thanks for your patience and help.

You're very welcome. let us (or anyhow me!) know how you get on.

Lisi

Sorry all. Untrimmed at the bottom here because I am cack-handed at
all things Gmail. :-(

Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Lisi Reisz

Hi, Wally,

On 7 October 2012 22:26, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 7 October 2012 19:05, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
>>> suggested and run that from the USB stick and that alone will tell me
>>> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
>>> CD I created?
>
>> On Oct 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> replied:
>>
>> No. You have to offer that at a later stage when you are asked for it
>> by the installer.
>>>
> Hi Lisi,
>
> Thanks for helping again. Can we please start over? I'm not understanding.
>
> Before installing Debian Squeeze via the netinst.iso file, I was
> advised to run the Debian LiveCd to test my systems hardware. Is this
> still recommended or should I forget the liveCD and simply begin the
> install process to my hard drive using the netinst CD that I burned?

Yes. Just try to install. It will soon tell you that there is a
problem, if there is one. And what have you got to lose?

> If you do recommend that I simply begin the install to my hard drive,
> and if during the install, the installer asked for firmware, then I
> place the USB stick into the computer (that has the the firmware on
> it)

Yes.