-   -   Persistent MySQL Process (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/709923-persistent-mysql-process.html)

Daniel Latter 10-05-2012 06:27 PM

Persistent MySQL Process

Hi All,

System:
cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 6.0

I have a long running MySQL process that runs for days and eventually crashes the server.

I googled about and discovered that Debian has it's own MySQL start up script that runs a *"check tables" command, so I commented this out and restarted, but the process immediately started again.*

I have webmin installed and when I view the process information it has a parent process of "init[2]"?

Also, when I view the files and programs related to the persistent process in question, it lists ibdata files (innodb data files), one being 8GB in size! I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?*

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, regarding webmin I have turned off the db module.

Thanks
Daniel.

Dan Ritter 10-07-2012 02:27 AM

Persistent MySQL Process

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 11:27:07AM -0700, Daniel Latter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> System:
> cat /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
>
> I have a long running MySQL process that runs for days and eventually crashes the server.
>
> I googled about and discovered that Debian has it's own MySQL start up script that runs a *"check tables" command, so I commented this out and restarted, but the process immediately started again.*
>
> I have webmin installed and when I view the process information it has a parent process of "init[2]"?
>
> Also, when I view the files and programs related to the persistent process in question, it lists ibdata files (innodb data files), one being 8GB in size! I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?*
>
> Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

grep mysql /etc/inittab

grep mysql /etc/init.d/*

If it shows up in the first, pull it out and reboot. If it shows
up more than once in the second, look for the offending script.

-dsr-

Daniel Latter 10-08-2012 07:48 PM

Persistent MySQL Process

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I did as you suggested and found evidence in the second command, but the only that stood out was the Debian start up script that I have already commented out and restarted MySQL, I'm going to try a server reboot, but I'm not 100% that will get rid of the process.

Would you suggest anything else?

Thanks

Sven Hartge 10-08-2012 09:39 PM

Persistent MySQL Process

Daniel Latter <dan.latter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did as you suggested and found evidence in the second command, but
> the only that stood out was the Debian start up script that I have
> already commented out and restarted MySQL, I'm going to try a server
> reboot, but I'm not 100% that will get rid of the process.

Umm, why do you have MySQL installed when you don't want to use it?

If course will there be a running mysqld-process, because MySQL needs a
running mysqld to function, there is now way to prevent this and _still_
be able to use a MySQL-DB.

I fail to grasp your problem. If the mysqld crashes your server, then
you need to investigate why. Foremost you need to define (and tell this
list) what you mean by "crashes the server".

Does it run out of free RAM?
Does it create a heavy I/O load and thus slowing down everything else?

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

"Christofer C. Bell" 10-09-2012 12:52 AM

Persistent MySQL Process

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Daniel Latter <dan.latter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Thanks for the reply.
>
> I did as you suggested and found evidence in the second command, but the only that stood out was the Debian start up script that I have already commented out and restarted MySQL, I'm going to try a server reboot, but I'm not 100% that will get rid of the process.
>
> Would you suggest anything else?

Do you by any chance use KDE?

--
Chris

Daniel Latter 10-09-2012 10:09 AM

Persistent MySQL Process

Hi,

It seems to be the second issue (I/O) load.

Here's a snippet from top:

22178 mysql 20 0 416m 119m 7456 S 31 3.0 137:12.52 mysqld

I know there needs to be a mysqld process but this does not look right?

Daniel Latter 10-09-2012 10:11 AM

Persistent MySQL Process

On Tuesday, 9 October 2012 02:00:02 UTC+1, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Daniel Latter wrote:
>
> > Hi, Thanks for the reply.
>

> > I did as you suggested and found evidence in the second command, but the only that stood out was the Debian start up script that I have already commented out and restarted MySQL, I'm going to try a server reboot, but I'm not 100% that will get rid of the process.
>

> > Would you suggest anything else?
>

> Do you by any chance use KDE?
>

> --
>
> Chris

Hi,

I do not use KDE myself but my colleague does, but its just to browse to a web address, can I ask what you are alluding to?

Thanks.

"Christofer C. Bell" 10-09-2012 11:49 AM

Persistent MySQL Process

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Daniel Latter <dan.latter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 October 2012 02:00:02 UTC+1, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>>
>> Do you by any chance use KDE?
>>

> I do not use KDE myself but my colleague does, but its just to browse to a web address, can I ask what you are alluding to?

KDE depends on MySQL embedded for Akonadai, Nepomuk, and Amarok.
Normal use of KDE will cause a mysqld process to be running on your
machine, one that is not started via the system init scripts (and that
runs as your user). I was thinking this might be why your system is
running MySQL without your explicit knowledge.

--
Chris