Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Alan Chandler

Default Exim4 behaviour when long term failure of outgoing address

I am using Debian Squeeze on a virtual machine that I lease. It has
exim4 (light) version as its mail server. - its name is
avalon.hartley-consultants.com

I have been trying to send mail to a mail address where the server is
refusing connections (incorrectly - but that is another story).
Eventually Exim has detected that this address is bad news and seems to
have made an entry into its database to prevent this address working again.

However, it looks to me like its trying to send a failure e-mail to me
locally somehow. The following is sitting in mainlog after the
following command done from root

exim -v -odf info@mynewdomain.com

2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C <=
root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com U=root P=local S=389
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C ** info@mynewdomain.com R=dnslookup
T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure
period
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT <= <> R=1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C
U=Debian-exim P=local S=1340
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT remote host address is the local
host: avalon.hartley-consultants.com
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT ==
root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com R=dnslookup defer (-1): remote host
address is the local host
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT **
root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com: retry timeout exceeded
2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT
root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com: error ignored

2012-10-05 07:42:10 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT Completed
2012-10-05 07:42:10 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C Completed

Because there are no particular e-mail accounts on this machine, I have
an /etc/aliases file which aliases all the standard addresses
(postmaster etc) to root and then aliases root to one of my normal
e-mail addresses. But my reading of that log is that its somehow failed
to send to root. I do not got any indication (and I would like to -
since the mail is being sent from a web site, and if its not working I
would like to know)

I sent the mail config up via dpgk-reconfigure exim4-config - so it
ought to be a standard direct to internet connection, relaying only
127.0.0.1 and my home ip addresses,

Anyone any idea what is happening - and how I can change the
configuration of exim to tell me when mail, like the above, is being
refused.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 506E91AD.2070901@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/506E91AD.2070901@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
lee

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:

> Anyone any idea what is happening - and how I can change the
> configuration of exim to tell me when mail, like the above, is being
> refused.

It's rather difficult to figure out what's going on without knowing how
your exim is configured. Set up a DNS server first, then abandon the
unmaintainable splitfile configuration, copy over the example
configuration from exims examples and adapt it to your needs as a
start. You will then know what is configured and can figure out what
happens.

My guess is that exim doesn't accept incoming messages for
<info@mynewdomain.com> (perhaps because "mynewdomain.com" is not in the
domain list which is used to identify domains for which incoming mails
are to be delivered on the local host) and considers "mynewdomain.com"
as a remote host. Then it figures out that "mynewdomain.com" is the
same host as "avalon.hartley-consultants.com" (you didn't say if it
accepts incoming mail to be delivered locally for this domain) and
cannot deliver the message for reasons I cannot know from the
information you provided. I suspect you might have some sort of DNS
issue involved here as well. What are the MX entries like?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Chris Davies

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> I am using Debian Squeeze on a virtual machine that I lease. It has
> exim4 (light) version as its mail server. - its name is
> avalon.hartley-consultants.com

> However, it looks to me like its trying to send a failure e-mail to me
> locally somehow.

> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C <=
> root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com U=root P=local S=389
> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C ** info@mynewdomain.com R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure
> period
> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT remote host address is the local
> host: avalon.hartley-consultants.com

It's difficult to tell without knowing the precise setup on the
machine, but this looks like you've aliased root to the offsite address
info@mynewdomain.com, but then you've got an entry somewhere that tells
avalon that it *is* mynewdomain.com.

This could be an entry in /etc/hosts, an MX or A record in DNS, or some
fancy aliasing somewhere associated with exim itself.

Avalon accordingly tries to deliver to info, locally, and finds that
this does not exist. Because it's already trying to deliver a bounce
message it simply discards the bouncing bounce and aborts.

Unfortunately, without knowing what mynewdomain.com really is, I can't
run any non-local diagnostics for you. Unless mynewdomain.com really is
yours, in which case you've got a configuration problem there because
it's not accepting mail.

Chris

Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Alan Chandler

[...]

I'll try and be more specific

The domain in question is virginiaparkinson.com and I am having
particular difficulty with the domain name hosting company to get e-mail
forwarding working with them.

The virtual machine is a standard squeeze setup with my
update-exim4.conf.conf

dc_eximconfig_configtype='internet'
dc_other_hostnames='
dc_local_interfaces='
dc_readhost='
dc_relay_domains='
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets='127.0.0.1;77.96.120.60'
dc_smarthost='
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'
dc_hide_mailname='
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

(77.96.120.60 is my home ip address where my main mail server sits -
because this is effectively a dynamic ip address I have to route all
outgoing mail through a remote smtp server. Normally I use my ISPs mail
server, but occassionally it becomes slow, or is blacklisted - and this
allows me to rapidly switch to this machine to route outgoing mail through)

/etc/aliases has

root: alan.chandler@hartley-consultants.com

in it

the virtual machines ip address is 80.68.94.252

and both hartley-consultants.com and virginiaparkinson.com have this
domain referencing 80.68.94.252 BUT their MX records both point else
where. In fact hartley-consultants MX record points to 77.96.120.60,
whereas virginiaparkinson.com mx records point somewhere completely
different (at first trial at what seems a non existant mail server that
was refusing connections) I am trying to fix that now.

--

Archive: 507518E9.9070709@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/507518E9.9070709@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Chris Davies

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> The domain in question is virginiaparkinson.com [..]

The one you're trying to deliver to (i.e. mynewdomain.com in the original
posting)?

> The virtual machine is a standard squeeze setup with my
> update-exim4.conf.conf

> dc_other_hostnames='

> (77.96.120.60 is my home ip address where my main mail server sits -
> because this is effectively a dynamic ip address I have to route all
> outgoing mail through a remote smtp server.

You have a mid-term problem here you're going to need to address: that if
your 77 address is dynamic, each time it changes you'll have to update
your VM's dc_relay_nets configuration entry. However, there are better
solutions for this so I'll park it for now. (Use authentication from
your home mail server to your VM.)

> /etc/aliases has
> root: alan.chandler@hartley-consultants.com

That's on the VM?

> and both hartley-consultants.com and virginiaparkinson.com have this
> domain referencing 80.68.94.252 BUT their MX records both point else
> where.

MX defines the delivery target, so that's what's relevant here.

I'll try to reiterate the configuration and let's go from there (offlist
if you like, since this isn't really a Debian issue).

1. Home server (name unknown, probably irrelevant) forwards email to
your VM for onward delivery
2. VM is called avalon.hartley-consultants.com, configured as an
"Internet" SMTP system using the standard Debian configuration
3. VM won't deliver to virginiaparkinson.com, but that issue is out of
scope right now
4. Failure (bounce) message to root@avalon is being lost - and this is
the issue at stake

I think I'll stand by my original diagnosis, taht the key line is
the exim4 error message, "remote host address is the local host:
avalon.hartley-consultants.com". Typically this means that exim4 doesn't
know all its possible names. Specifically in your instance, exim4 is
trying to deliver to avalon.hartley-consultants.com, but this resolves
(/etc/hosts, MX, or A) to the local system. The problem is that exim4's
local configuration doesn't include this name as one of the possible
alternative local names (the "Other destinations for which mail is
accepted" question).

Add this hostname using "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and see if that
solves the immediate problem.

Chris

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
lee

,---- [ dig -t mx virginiaparkinson.com ]

`----

> particular difficulty with the domain name hosting company to get
> e-mail forwarding working with them.
>
> The virtual machine is a standard squeeze setup with my
> update-exim4.conf.conf

As suggested before, copy over the example configuration and adjust to
your needs. The splitfile stuff doesn't give you a readable exim
configuration.

> (77.96.120.60 is my home ip address where my main mail server sits -
> because this is effectively a dynamic ip address I have to route all
> outgoing mail through a remote smtp server. Normally I use my ISPs
> mail server, but occassionally it becomes slow, or is blacklisted -
> and this allows me to rapidly switch to this machine to route outgoing
> mail through)

So how do you get incoming mail? The MX records tell MTAs to hand it
over to 72.1.201.138 rather than 77.96.120.60.

,---- [ dig -t mx hartley-consultants.com ]

`----

,---- [ dig -t a chandlerfamily.org.uk

`----

> the virtual machines ip address is 80.68.94.252
>
> and both hartley-consultants.com and virginiaparkinson.com have this
> domain referencing 80.68.94.252 BUT their MX records both point else
> where.

The above dig results is what my MTA would get. I think I already
suggested that you probably have some DNS issues involved?

> In fact hartley-consultants MX record points to 77.96.120.60,
> whereas virginiaparkinson.com mx records point somewhere completely
> different

To where are they supposed to point to?

You'd be best off getting a static IP address and the corresponding MX
entries so you can receive incoming mail. If you manage to get MX
entries for a dynamic IP, you can get away with using a smarthost for
the outgoing mail. That has the disadvantage that when your IP changes,
MTAs may try to hand over mail to the old IP address until they become
aware that the MX entry has changed. Whoever receives that IP address
will be able to receive your mail then.

You can use fetchmail instead. Unfortunately, that has some significant
disadvantages.

,----
| lee@yun:~$ telnet 72.1.201.138 smtp
| Trying 72.1.201.138...
| Connected to 72.1.201.138.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| 220 mx4.freeparking.co.uk MX ESMTP Exim 4.69
| quit
| 221 mx4.freeparking.co.uk closing connection
| Connection closed by foreign host.
| lee@yun:~$
`----

At least there's an MTA answering now (with a seemingly interesting
HELO).

What are you actually trying to achieve?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Alan Chandler