-   -   rdiff-backup code quality (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/709708-rdiff-backup-code-quality.html)

Celejar 10-04-2012 08:04 PM

rdiff-backup code quality

A long-time, reasonably happy rsnapshot user, I decided to give
rdiff-backup a whirl, in part due to its recent endorsements on this
list, and promptly ran into this:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29808

<rant>

Seriously? A glaring and fairly frustrating bug that has received no
attention, or even acknowledgment, in more than two years? Should we
trust the general code quality of such software?

</rant>

Celejar

Alberto Luaces 10-05-2012 07:43 AM

rdiff-backup code quality

Celejar writes:

> A long-time, reasonably happy rsnapshot user, I decided to give
> rdiff-backup a whirl, in part due to its recent endorsements on this
> list, and promptly ran into this:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29808
>
> <rant>
>
> Seriously? A glaring and fairly frustrating bug that has received no
> attention, or even acknowledgment, in more than two years? Should we
> trust the general code quality of such software?
>
> </rant>

Don't think so. If you look at their page and their CVS, you can see
that it has not been touched for two years. I think the project is
inactive.

--
Alberto

Miles Fidelman 10-05-2012 01:33 PM

rdiff-backup code quality

Alberto Luaces wrote:

Celejar writes:

A long-time, reasonably happy rsnapshot user, I decided to give
rdiff-backup a whirl, in part due to its recent endorsements on this
list, and promptly ran into this:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29808

<rant>

Seriously? A glaring and fairly frustrating bug that has received no
attention, or even acknowledgment, in more than two years? Should we
trust the general code quality of such software?

</rant>

Don't think so. If you look at their page and their CVS, you can see
that it has not been touched for two years. I think the project is
inactive.

Which is sort of a shame. I've been using it for backups for about 5
years. Guess I have t think about migrating to something else. Sigh...

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 506EE1B7.50108@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/506EE1B7.50108@meetinghouse.net

Celejar 10-05-2012 03:08 PM

rdiff-backup code quality

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:43:24 +0200
Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

> Celejar writes:
>
> > A long-time, reasonably happy rsnapshot user, I decided to give
> > rdiff-backup a whirl, in part due to its recent endorsements on this
> > list, and promptly ran into this:
> >
> > http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29808
> >
> > <rant>
> >
> > Seriously? A glaring and fairly frustrating bug that has received no
> > attention, or even acknowledgment, in more than two years? Should we
> > trust the general code quality of such software?
> >
> > </rant>
>
> Don't think so. If you look at their page and their CVS, you can see
> that it has not been touched for two years. I think the project is
> inactive.

Yes, that's what I was insinuating ...

Celejar