Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Re (5): names for sound devices

From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 03:48:40 +0200
> Still readers might want to know that they can use numbers instead of
> names. At least some information about the possibility needs to be
> there to make the note understandable.

OK, when there is time, will work on it.

> Alsa sucks. It's ridiculously difficult and more or less impossible to
> configure and to figure out why things don't work.

Compared to Shorewall for example, which is superbly documented
and works as the documents describe. Sorry to say that the
problems with sound alone will deter any casual user from
considering Debian as an alternative to Windows.

Searches for bug reports against alsa-base with "document" or
"documentation" in the subject found nothing. If anyone finds
such a report in another alsa related package, please let us know.
A bug report is on my todo list.

P.s., With alsa, was this simple procedure forgotten?
(1) Write the specifications and documentation.
(2) Write the software.
(3) Make sure the implementation is consistent with documents from (1).

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202 Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca http://carnot.yi.org/

Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
lee

peasthope@shaw.ca writes:

> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>> Alsa sucks. It's ridiculously difficult and more or less impossible to
>> configure and to figure out why things don't work.
>
> Compared to Shorewall for example, which is superbly documented
> and works as the documents describe.

On the other hand, alsa seems to work most of the time out of the box.
That is an achievement.

> Sorry to say that the problems with sound alone will deter any casual
> user from considering Debian as an alternative to Windows.

Maybe, if they have them. Perhaps being presented with choices and
package management is a greater obstacle. Add to that non-working
things and then ask why anyone would use it.

> P.s., With alsa, was this simple procedure forgotten?
> (1) Write the specifications and documentation.
> (2) Write the software.
> (3) Make sure the implementation is consistent with documents from (1).

Debian has forgotten it with brokenarch. I wonder what will happen when
people find out that there's no working 32bit support in the next
release.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch