-   -   exim4 smtp server userid (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/709478-exim4-smtp-server-userid.html)

Marc Auslander 10-04-2012 02:13 AM

exim4 smtp server userid

I want to configure exim4 to use the same
(google) smtp server with two different userid's depending on the from
address. *I can put the appropriate tests into my c_smarthost string,
but I don't know how to specify the userid - passwd.client seems to tie
a single userid to each smtp host.

Any suggestions?

Jon Dowland 10-04-2012 06:59 AM

exim4 smtp server userid

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:13:34PM -0400, Marc Auslander wrote:
> I want to configure exim4 to use the same (google) smtp server with two
> different userid's depending on the from address. I can put the
> appropriate tests into my c_smarthost string, but I don't know how to
> specify the userid - passwd.client seems to tie a single userid to each
> smtp host.
>
> Any suggestions?

Can you alias two local hostnames to the google SMTP server in your /etc/hosts
file, use those two distinct aliases in passwd.client and then set the outgoing
server accordingly in your exim test?

Marc Auslander 10-04-2012 02:31 PM

exim4 smtp server userid

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:13:34PM -0400, Marc Auslander wrote:
>> I want to configure exim4 to use the same (google) smtp server with two
>> different userid's depending on the from address. I can put the
>> appropriate tests into my c_smarthost string, but I don't know how to
>> specify the userid - passwd.client seems to tie a single userid to each
>> smtp host.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Can you alias two local hostnames to the google SMTP server in your /etc/hosts
> file, use those two distinct aliases in passwd.client and then set the outgoing
> server accordingly in your exim test?

The exim4 documentation claims that the passwd.client file is applied
to the result of reverse translating the ip address of the host! The
fact that I need to put wildcard names into passwd.client seems to
support this claim. I thus rejected /etc/hosts tricks as a
workaround. But thanks for the thought.