-   -   tmux and at (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/709425-tmux.html)

lee 10-03-2012 08:10 PM

tmux and at

Hi,

can someone verify that when you create an at job from within a terminal (rxvt)
in tmux, you get sent an email with

,----
| sh: 16: cs-window-active=10: not found
| sh: 16: export: cs-window-active: bad variable name
`----

instead of that the job is executed as it's supposed to because
apparently tmux sets an environment variable called "cs-window-active"?

If you can verify this, is that a bug a report should be sent about?

When starting rxvt outside of tmux, "cs-window-active" isn't set and the
at jobs work fine. Why is setting "cs-window-active" a problem, anyway?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Darac Marjal 10-04-2012 12:27 PM

tmux and at

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:10:00PM +0200, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can someone verify that when you create an at job from within a terminal (rxvt)
> in tmux, you get sent an email with
>

> ,----
> | sh: 16: cs-window-active=10: not found
> | sh: 16: export: cs-window-active: bad variable name
> `----
>

> instead of that the job is executed as it's supposed to because
> apparently tmux sets an environment variable called "cs-window-active"?

Well, not quite the same situation here: putty -> tmux instead of your
rxvt -> tmux, but I don't THINK the terminal is at fault here
(especially as you've said you've run at from within a bare rxvt).

You might want to look at your tmux.conf to see if you've got a bad line
in there, or you've "setenv"d something when you actually meant to
use it plain.

As for the specific problem, I believe dashes aren't allowed in variable
names. When 'at' was invoked, it copied in your environment so that the
script you gave it could be run fairly similarly. When the time arrives,
it tries to set those values again but, as you can see, borks.

lee 10-04-2012 06:24 PM

tmux and at

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:10:00PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> can someone verify that when you create an at job from within a terminal (rxvt)
>> in tmux, you get sent an email with
>>

>> ,----
>> | sh: 16: cs-window-active=10: not found
>> | sh: 16: export: cs-window-active: bad variable name
>> `----
>>

>> instead of that the job is executed as it's supposed to because
>> apparently tmux sets an environment variable called "cs-window-active"?
>
> Well, not quite the same situation here: putty -> tmux instead of your
> rxvt -> tmux, but I don't THINK the terminal is at fault here
> (especially as you've said you've run at from within a bare rxvt).

Whatever sets this variable, it seems to cause trouble. Do you have
this variable set, too?

> You might want to look at your tmux.conf to see if you've got a bad line
> in there, or you've "setenv"d something when you actually meant to
> use it plain.

My ~/.tmux.conf has only three lines yet, and since the variable is set
only in shells in tmux, I guess tmux sets it.

> As for the specific problem, I believe dashes aren't allowed in variable
> names. When 'at' was invoked, it copied in your environment so that the
> script you gave it could be run fairly similarly. When the time arrives,
> it tries to set those values again but, as you can see, borks.

Ok if dashes aren't allowed and tmux sets a variable the name of which
has dashes in it, then it would be tmux that needs to be fixed.

Hmmm, this is really strange: When I google for "cs-window-active", it
seems to come from fvwm-crystal. I don't have fvwm-crystal installed
anymore. Why would tmux pull that in somehow?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch