-   -   Screen Aspect Ratio (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/709419-screen-aspect-ratio.html)

"Stephen P. Molnar" 10-03-2012 07:36 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

Debian 6.0.5 64 bit/KDE 4.4.5

As a result of my stupidity in attempting to modify the screen drivers I
have managed to change my display into something really ugly.

The aspect ratio is off and the number of available fonts is really
limited. (I also have OpenSUSE 12.2 on another HD and the screen is
normal, leading me to conclude that the problem lies in Debian)

I have switched to Debian and am wondering what display utilities are
available? Google hasn't been on any help

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic and multivariate

Archive: 506C93C5.8050908@sbcglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/506C93C5.8050908@sbcglobal.net

Sthu Deus 10-04-2012 10:17 AM

Screen Aspect Ratio

Good time of the day, Stephen.

You wrote:

> As a result of my stupidity in attempting to modify the screen
> drivers I have managed to change my display into something really
> ugly.
>
> The aspect ratio is off and the number of available fonts is really
> limited. (I also have OpenSUSE 12.2 on another HD and the screen is
> normal, leading me to conclude that the problem lies in Debian)
>
> I have switched to Debian and am wondering what display utilities are
> available? Google hasn't been on any help

If You did some config. modifications by a normal user, then You can
simply move all the user's home dir. content to another place and then
relogin.

If did that under root user, then You have to reconfigure those
services, for example by simple removal of the config.s to safe place
and restart the service, OR using debian package reconfigurator, or
download from Internet its options OR reinstall the package having
purged it previously.

Sthu.

"Stephen P. Molnar" 10-07-2012 02:45 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

[...]

I think that I have located the problem. The monitor resolution is set
at 1280x1024 by Debian. Also there are only four solutions listed in
System Settings/Size and Orientation.

I have an OpenSUSE 12.2 installatopn on another hadr drive in the systen
and it's resolution is 1680x1050 with eleven additional different
resolutions.

I had a screen resolution of 1680x1024 for the Debian desktop before I
started trying to change the dcreen drivers. That's what I would like
to get back, but don't have any idea how to accomplish this. I did look
at the Synaptic Package Manager logs and removed the mistakes that I
made and reinstalled the packages I'd removed, but that didn't correct
the problem.

I would assume that there may be a configuration file lurking somewhere
that has to be edited, but I am leery of making any changes, as I
clearly don't know what I'm doing.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--

Archive: 50719597.4080605@sbcglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/50719597.4080605@sbcglobal.net

Gary Dale 10-07-2012 03:20 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

[...]

The main X configuration file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you rename this,
Debian/X will try to detect your display and adapter.

You can also boot to a root prompt and try X -configure to produce an
xorg.conf file to experiment with.

If you are using proprietary drivers, they each have a configuration
utility that should help.

Sthu's suggestion of using the purge option with apt-get/aptitude is
also worth trying.

And there's the kernel mode setting driver to consider. If it's not set
properly, you can get into all kinds of problems.

You will also find a /etc/X11/fonts directory that may have been screwed
up. If so, you could try renaming it then re-installing X.

Archive: 50719DD0.7050502@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/50719DD0.7050502@rogers.com

"Stephen P. Molnar" 10-07-2012 04:13 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

[...]

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. There is no xorg.conf
filer on the system.

I opened a cosole as root and got:

computation@debian:~$ su
Password:
root@debian:/home/computation# X -configure

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

Please advise.

Again, thanks in advance.

I wrote the above as little too fast.

I just logged on to Debian as root and ran X -configure. Hereis the result:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
FontPath "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri2"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
Load "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 470 300 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "CMO"
ModelName "CMC 22 W"
HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "UseFBDev" # [<bool>]
#Option "Rotate" # [<str>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "FlatPanel" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPDither" # [<bool>]
#Option "CrtcNumber" # <i>
#Option "FPScale" # [<bool>]
#Option "FPTweak" # <i>
#Option "DualHead" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)]"
BusID "PCI:6:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

What do I do now?

--

Archive: 5071AA28.7060809@sbcglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/5071AA28.7060809@sbcglobal.net

Sthu Deus 10-07-2012 06:13 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

Good time of the day, Stephen.

You wrote:

> I think that I have located the problem. The monitor resolution is
> set at 1280x1024 by Debian. Also there are only four solutions
> listed in System Settings/Size and Orientation.
>
> I have an OpenSUSE 12.2 installatopn on another hadr drive in the
> systen and it's resolution is 1680x1050 with eleven additional
> different resolutions.

If You want to play w/ resolutions, then try

xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1680x1050

Here You can change VGA w/ LVDS - if it be a laptop.

or using xorg.conf (first generate one for Your system, then adjust
line Modes in something similar):

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Sthu.

Gary Dale 10-07-2012 06:31 PM

Screen Aspect Ratio

[...]

Copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf then modify any sections that aren't
correct. The "monitor" section refresh rates can be an issue with CRTs.

Also, in the "screen" "Display" subsection, you may need to add "Modes"
- include the resolutions that are important.

Again this usually applies to CRTs but it is also an issue if your
kernel mode setting driver isn't set up properly. If you have a working
KMS driver, you shouldn't need any of this.