Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
~D

Default qnap server: moving to raid

Hi,

At the moment I've a Qnap 109 II nas server with Debian Sqeeuze
installed. Now I want to be able to mirror the drives, so I've basically
a backup of my backup. That's why I bought an Qnap 209 II on ebay. On
the 109 I've put pretty some efforts to get is all up and running.

1) What do I need, raid 0, 1, ... and where to look at during
installation of Debian?

2) What is the best way to move the existing 109 500 Gb installation, to
the 1Tb qnap 209 server?

Thanks in advance,
Dirk

Archive: 506C6503.7000300@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/506C6503.7000300@gmail.com

Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
lee

~D <schoappied@gmail.com> writes:

> At the moment I've a Qnap 109 II nas server with Debian Sqeeuze
> installed. Now I want to be able to mirror the drives, so I've
> basically a backup of my backup. That's why I bought an Qnap 209 II on
> ebay. On the 109 I've put pretty some efforts to get is all up and
> running.
>
> 1) What do I need, raid 0, 1, ... and where to look at during
> installation of Debian?

You may want RAID-1 or RAID-10. If you use software RAID, you may find
that the Debian installer is unable to install grub unless you use a
/boot partition which isn't on the RAID, which somewhat defeats the
purpose of having a RAID. You want to put the swap partitions on the
RAID as well.

> 2) What is the best way to move the existing 109 500 Gb installation,
> to the 1Tb qnap 209 server?

Install the disks you want to copy from and use 'cp -ax'.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch