Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Re (3): names for sound devices

* From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
* Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 18:02:14 +0000 (UTC)
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ026

Studied that and set the default device accordingly before
my original query. FAQ026 can be summarized thus.

if you want to assign names to devices such that the names
can change arbitrarily with a reboot or replugging of a device,
then do as described prior to "Note by mschiff";
else (* you want the names to persist across a reboot or a replug *)
do as described following "Note by mschiff".

So according to mschiff, a default device is identified
unambiguously in this system. Here is a test.

peter@dalton:~$ speaker-test -D default

speaker-test 1.0.23

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
peter@dalton:~$

"speaker-test -c 2" produces the noise described in the manual.
"speaker-test -c 0" and "speaker-test -c 1" produce error messages
similare to that above.

Any ideas about why channels 0 and 1 are not available? Any ideas
about how a channel is related to a device? What good is a default
device which lacks a channel?

Incidentally, to my understanding, everything up to "Note by mschiff"
in FAQ026 is obsolete and misleading. I am inclined to delete it so
that the instructions from mschiff take precedence. Any objections?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202 Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca http://carnot.yi.org/

Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
lee

peasthope@shaw.ca writes:

> Incidentally, to my understanding, everything up to "Note by mschiff"
> in FAQ026 is obsolete and misleading. I am inclined to delete it so
> that the instructions from mschiff take precedence. Any objections?

Uhm, I'm changing what the default device is by editing
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. If you don't do that, what the default
device (i. e. card 0) is seems to depend on in which order the
corresponding modules are loaded during booting. This order is not
fixed. (Unfortunately, this method usually requires a reboot.)

Looking at the faq, it seems to use card numbers to specify which one
the default card should be. That probably doesn't work when after
rebooting the numbering of the cards has changed.

Hm, I'm just seeing that one of my sound cards isn't listed in
alsamixer. The module for the invisible card is loaded, so why doesn't
the card show up?

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch