Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default apache2's handling of IP version 6

On 10/4/2012 12:06 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

>>> Is the apache2 daemon starting before the ipv6 part of the network
>>> configuration is completely up?
>>
>> His log error does seem to indicate Apache is starting before the ipv6
>> stack is available--one of the downsides of parallel init.
>
> Where did you see the log?

The OP pasted this in his 2nd post:

Starting web server: apache2[Thu Oct 04 01:02:03 2012]: [crit] (EAI
9)Address family for hostname not supported: Alloc_listener: failed to
set up sockaddr for pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr
Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/ports.conf
Listen setup failed.
Action 'start' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
failed!

I think Chris Bannister is onto something. I previously overlooked the
syntax error msg. A syntax error would explain the socket setup
failure. Probably something as simple as a typo in ports.conf.

--
Stan

Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Satoru Otsubo

Hi,
I'm initiator of this thread.

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:53:23AM +0900, Satoru Otsubo wrote:
> > Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/ports.conf
>
> What about this syntax error?

Syntax error on line 2 is the following:
Listen [pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr]:80

By the way, I thought the following concerning the problem in my CGI PC (my server PC):

Internet-------------Router------Lan-----my PC

When booting PC, apache2 decides that ipv6 is Ok if it gets the ipv6's information and ipv6 is not Ok if it can't get the ipv6's information.
And apache2 gets the ipv6's information from the router's RA(Router Advertisements).
But the router can't send RA immediately.
Therefore when apache2 decides on whether ipv6 is Ok, it can't get the information yet.
Therefore it decides that ipv6 is not Ok.
Therefore in case of dual stack, apache2 issues an error because ports.conf is
as follows:
Listen a.b.c.d:80
Listen [pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr]:80
Listen a.b.c.d:443
Listen [pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr]:443
(Because ipv6 address explicitely exists, apache2 issues an error when it can't get ipv6's information.)
In case of ports.conf being the following:
Listen 80
Listen 443,
apache2 falls back to listen only ipv4 ports because no address format exists.

In fact, in boot sequence, I scroll locked by clicking the Scroll Lock key just before apache2's line appears, and after some moments, I again click the Scroll Lock to restart the boot sequence.
Then after booting completed, I executed,
# netstat -an
And I found there exists Listen 80 and Listen 443 in the tcp6 lines.

My thought is wrong ?

By the way, on the PC of Squeeze desktop install (my second PC),
After booting completed, on command of
# netstat -an ,
I can always find Listen 80 and Listen 443 in the tcp6 lines.
(Without # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart)
Why in the desktop environment, "# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart" is not needed ?
Is apache2 of the desktop environment executed in the other way than CGI environment ?
In fact, I found,
/etc/hosts of my GUI PC includes
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

whereas, /etc/hosts of my CUI PC only includes
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Thanks,
Satoru

Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 10/4/2012 12:06 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> His log error does seem to indicate Apache is starting before the ipv6
>>> stack is available--one of the downsides of parallel init.
>>
>> Where did you see the log?
>
> The OP pasted this in his 2nd post:
>
> Starting web server: apache2[Thu Oct 04 01:02:03 2012]: [crit] (EAI
> 9)Address family for hostname not supported: Alloc_listener: failed to
> set up sockaddr for pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr
> Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/ports.conf
> Listen setup failed.
> Action 'start' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.
> failed!

Thanks. I'd checked the archive before emailing you and missed it -
for the second time!

> I think Chris Bannister is onto something. I previously overlooked the
> syntax error msg. A syntax error would explain the socket setup
> failure. Probably something as simple as a typo in ports.conf.

I don't understand why there's a syntax error at boot but not when
apache's restarted but we'll see...

As I pointed out in an earlier post, "Listen 80" will enable both ipv4
and ipv6, and remove the possibility that there's a typo in the ip
address(es). Since Debian (and all distributions that I know) compile
apache with an option to map v4 to v6, running "ss -ntl" will show
just one ipv6 socket.

Maybe having both "Listen *:80" and "Listen [::]:80" will create two
sockets, if that's what the OP's after (or one of the things that he's
after). I can't check because I don't have ipv6 and I'm not sure that
apache'll interact the same way with an ipv6 link-local address as it
would with a "real" ipv6 address.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Satoru Otsubo <trnsnt@otip.jp> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 04:53:23AM +0900, Satoru Otsubo wrote:

> By the way, I thought the following concerning the problem in my CGI PC (my server PC):
>
> Internet-------------Router------Lan-----my PC
>
> When booting PC, apache2 decides that ipv6 is Ok if it gets the ipv6's information
> and ipv6 is not Ok if it can't get the ipv6's information.
> And apache2 gets the ipv6's information from the router's RA(Router Advertisements).

That explains the at-boot v/s after-restart behavior...

Can be started later, based on a sysvinit "stage" like "$network", etc.

Does ipv6 come up cleanly if you do a soft or hard restart of apache
in rc.local?

> Then after booting completed, I executed,
> # netstat -an
> And I found there exists Listen 80 and Listen 443 in the tcp6 lines.
>
> My thought is wrong ?
>
> By the way, on the PC of Squeeze desktop install (my second PC),
> After booting completed, on command of
> # netstat -an ,
> I can always find Listen 80 and Listen 443 in the tcp6 lines.
> (Without # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart)

It's normal; apache listens on the ipv6 socket for both ipv4 and ipv6.

> In fact, I found,
> /etc/hosts of my GUI PC includes
> ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> whereas, /etc/hosts of my CUI PC only includes
> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

All that you really need for ipv6 is the "::1 ..." line. Having one
line less on your X-less box won't make a difference.

Is this your entire "/etc/hosts"? Don;t you have any ipv4 settings?!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Satoru Otsubo

Hi,
Tom H

> Does ipv6 come up cleanly if you do a soft or hard restart of apache
> in rc.local?

I can't understand "a soft or hard restart".

But I examined as follows:

..Case 1..

I editted /etc/rc.local as follows: (Do I have to add "exit 0" at end ?)

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

exit 0

(Reference)
# /etc/rc2.d/
README S18apache2 S19openbsd-inetd S21bootlogs
S14portmap S19acpid S19spamassassin S22rc.local
S15nfs-common S19atd S19ssh S22rmnologin
S17rsyslog S19cron S20exim4 S22stop-bootlogd

In this case, After booting finished, I was able to find port 80 in tcp6 lines
of "netstat -an".
I didn't need # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.
But a few seconds elapse at the stage of exim4.
Therefore,

..Case 2..
/etc/rc.local is same as Case 1.

And I executed,
# mv /etc/rc2.d/{S20,K80}exim4
# update-rc.d exim4 defaults

# ls /etc/rc2.d/
K01exim4 S17rsyslog S19cron S21bootlogs
README S18apache2 S19openbsd-inetd S22rc.local
S14portmap S19acpid S19spamassassin S22rmnologin
S15nfs-common S19atd S19ssh S22stop-bootlogd

In this case, After booting finished, I was unable to find port 80 in tcp6 lines.
I needed # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.

> All that you really need for ipv6 is the "::1 ..." line. Having one
> line less on your X-less box won't make a difference.
>
> Is this your entire "/etc/hosts"? Don;t you have any ipv4 settings?!

The entire text is the following:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.xx.xx xxxx.xxx.xx xxxx

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Tom H

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Satoru Otsubo <trnsnt@otip.jp> wrote:

>> Does ipv6 come up cleanly if you do a soft or hard restart of apache
>> in rc.local?
>
> I can't understand "a soft or hard restart".

soft:
service apache2 relaod
service apache2 graceful

hard:
service apache2 restart

>> All that you really need for ipv6 is the "::1 ..." line. Having one
>> line less on your X-less box won't make a difference.
>>
>> Is this your entire "/etc/hosts"? Don;t you have any ipv4 settings?!
>
> The entire text is the following:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.xx.xx xxxx.xxx.xx xxxx

Is the "192.168..." line added by network-manager?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Satoru Otsubo

Hi,
Tom H

> >> All that you really need for ipv6 is the "::1 ..." line. Having one
> >> line less on your X-less box won't make a difference.
> >>
> >> Is this your entire "/etc/hosts"? Don;t you have any ipv4 settings?!
> >
> > The entire text is the following:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > 192.168.xx.xx xxxx.xxx.xx xxxx
>
> Is the "192.168..." line added by network-manager?

The "192.168..." line exists from the beginning after I installed Squeeze
by debian-6.0.3-i386-netinst.iso
(The package of network-manager is not installed. )

Thanks,
Satoru

Tue Oct 9 19:30:01 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=5hjwePTrAfTkSf+6C5m0goccxlL15S7Q8vSGzE5HZ/Q=;
b=UoKyiuiZyCx+gjtKDPYUTdznsa20m1qZD0/guyop4+eUYPpF+cgDltAeb8bBqje65J
SuUaRzOv9KRoFNM+zdcOSPrshn165+ufJ/i76GBaWfUZ01VS+HKZcSjxVooWrDqMeB30
+Li3zkijuqF4JD2MgvPqV0LKcZb/Y0pUg81rm8YGW0vw10CqVY2UdhQm7BsZ55YIV6t4
MrG9NR+zAOzZU/isX3x5MMvH11XIuI32bTKlvQi5S0g03DDD9P62k2otHm8pCXAM 4+yy
V425UjRRB7aQc99mHw3P8s4i2gXRwi0jrkp9zf2CGuGBrYRmVe 4IIv9OHpQ0jBYdKjho
IndQ==