FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 01:22:21PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> [121003 12:42]:
> > My end goal is to search out a script that will place the contents
> > of the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5 on a hard drive in such a way that
> > the hard disk can be accessed by apt-get.
>
> Have you looked at approx? Surely approx-import can import images
> mounted with the "loop" mount option?
>
apt-cacher-ng will do it as well.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20121003134324.GA27608@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20121003134324.GA27608@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Richard Owlett
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

Rob Owens wrote:

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 01:22:21PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

* Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> [121003 12:42]:

My end goal is to search out a script that will place the contents
of the 8 DVD set of Debian 6.0.5 on a hard drive in such a way that
the hard disk can be accessed by apt-get.


Have you looked at approx? Surely approx-import can import images
mounted with the "loop" mount option?


apt-cacher-ng will do it as well.

-Rob



I went to [
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query= ] and
looked up approx and apt-cacher, following some of the links
given on those pages.


I see no way to *COERCE* either to accomplish my goal. Both
presume topology, constraint(s) and goal(s) which differ
from mine.


Their underlying presumptions include:
1. a repository at the far end of a bandwidth limited
channel
2. unspecified number of of local machines - physical
or virtual
A. these machines are connected by LAN - physical
or virtual

B. all machines have majority of loaded software common

My real world actual situation is:
1. any standard repository is at end of ~0 bandwidth
channel -- a 56k analog modem. There be reason I bought 8
DVD set

2. I have 3 computers with differing hardware:
A. two laptops with WiFi (functional) and an
Ethernet port (functionality???)
B. one desktop without WiFi {possibly has Ethernet
port, it's not physically available at moment to check}.

C. all have USB ports
D. I have USB connected hard drives with capacity to
store the contents of the DVDs. Thus I will implement a
"sneaker net".



To summarize:

I effectively _HAVE_ the contents of a relevant repository
on 8 physically discrete DVDs.
I *REQUIRE* that content to reside on a single partition of
a single disk in a form acceptable to apt-get.
For reasons I'll not go into, any solution requiring
networking of any form is irrelevant.


Restating my original subject line -- "Can someone direct me
to CURRENT ( i.e. valid for Squeeze) "user friendly"
detailed documentation of Debian repository structure?".


I searched debian.org for the keyword "repository" and
received ONE relevant hit ( of 33 hits).
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto.en.html
is:

user friendly
NOT current - it labels itself explicitly as "obsolete".
NOT detailed enough on its own. [ If it were not
obsolete to an unspecified degree it _might_ contain enough
hints to required details.]




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 506F352C.2090606@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/506F352C.2090606@cloud85.net
 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:32 AM
songbird
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

Richard Owlett wrote:
...

ages ago i used a straight copy from the
DVDs for lenny to set up what sounds like
what you want to do. get a copy of the
DVDs onto a faster hard drive.

wish i had perfect memory, but i think
i just used a simple recursive copy
cp -ra [src] [target]

if you have USB 3 this should be faster
than what i went through.

i'm not sure if i had to link some
files/directories after that copy to get
apt-get and synaptic to be happy, but it
did work and i used those copies until
squeeze hit testing.

i had entries in /etc/apt/sources.list that
looked like:

deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom01/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom02/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom03/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom04/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom05/ lenny contrib main

i haven't had to do anything like this since
then so i'm not sure if it would work for
squeeze/wheezy.

you may need an entry in /etc/apt/apt.conf that
looks like:

APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated "true";

to avoid having to set up authentication stuff...
[don't run normally with this option set]

if anything just try to copy the first dvd and
see what happens and what error messages come
out of apt-get or synaptic and go from there.

ls /dvd01 if you have the first dvd mounted
to /dvd01 should give you the top directories
and then you can look further down in from
there to see how it looks.


songbird


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8qh4k9-qmm.ln1@ID-306963.user.uni-berlin.de">http://lists.debian.org/8qh4k9-qmm.ln1@ID-306963.user.uni-berlin.de
 
Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Richard Owlett
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

songbird wrote:

Richard Owlett wrote:
...

ages ago i used a straight copy from the
DVDs for lenny to set up what sounds like
what you want to do. get a copy of the
DVDs onto a faster hard drive.

wish i had perfect memory, but i think
i just used a simple recursive copy
cp -ra [src] [target]

if you have USB 3 this should be faster
than what i went through.

i'm not sure if i had to link some
files/directories after that copy to get
apt-get and synaptic to be happy, but it
did work and i used those copies until
squeeze hit testing.

i had entries in /etc/apt/sources.list that
looked like:

deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom01/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom02/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom03/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom04/ lenny contrib main
deb file:/mb/debian/lenny/cdrom05/ lenny contrib main

i haven't had to do anything like this since
then so i'm not sure if it would work for
squeeze/wheezy.

you may need an entry in /etc/apt/apt.conf that
looks like:

APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated "true";

to avoid having to set up authentication stuff...
[don't run normally with this option set]

if anything just try to copy the first dvd and
see what happens and what error messages come
out of apt-get or synaptic and go from there.

ls /dvd01 if you have the first dvd mounted
to /dvd01 should give you the top directories
and then you can look further down in from
there to see how it looks.


songbird





i've suspected as much *LOL* ;/
For the record
- I'm contemporary of parents of Linus Torvalds
- I've been tempted to ask
if Debian (any version) is more powerful/versatile
than CPM-80

Which has more obtuse documentation, CPM-80 or Debian

I've set "Reply To" to debian-user@lists.debian.org
For those wising to discuss issues personally, my "From:"
address is valid, if well filtered




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 506FAAD1.5020809@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/506FAAD1.5020809@cloud85.net
 
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
songbird
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

Richard Owlett wrote:
> songbird wrote:
...
>> if anything just try to copy the first dvd and
>> see what happens and what error messages come
>> out of apt-get or synaptic and go from there.
>>
>> ls /dvd01 if you have the first dvd mounted
>> to /dvd01 should give you the top directories
>> and then you can look further down in from
>> there to see how it looks.
>
>
> i've suspected as much *LOL* ;/



it may not be the right way in terms of
disk inode use but it worked. nowadays
it might be better to do a straight image
copy and then to mount them, but it would
take someone else to give you those magic
words.


> For the record
> - I'm contemporary of parents of Linus Torvalds

i'm no spring chicken either... 50 is soon.
eek. time flies.


> - I've been tempted to ask
> if Debian (any version) is more powerful/versatile
> than CPM-80
> Which has more obtuse documentation, CPM-80 or Debian

the package debian-handbook is very helpful. also,
debian-reference-en, debian-faq and installation-guide-*...

reading the lists linux.debian.devel,
linux.debian.devel.release and linux.debian.project
can be helpful at times. i try to read
linux.debian.maint.boot too and of course this fine
group.


> I've set "Reply To" to debian-user@lists.debian.org
> For those wising to discuss issues personally, my "From:"
> address is valid, if well filtered

i have very little trouble with spam coming from
usenet posts. ignoring it and deleting it unread.
i never use an unsubscribe link as it tells them
they hit a live one.


songbird


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 40i5k9-hg1.ln1@ID-306963.user.uni-berlin.de">http://lists.debian.org/40i5k9-hg1.ln1@ID-306963.user.uni-berlin.de
 
Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Curt
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

On 2012-10-05, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> To summarize:
>
> I effectively _HAVE_ the contents of a relevant repository
> on 8 physically discrete DVDs.
> I *REQUIRE* that content to reside on a single partition of
> a single disk in a form acceptable to apt-get.
> For reasons I'll not go into, any solution requiring
> networking of any form is irrelevant.
>

The thread below looks edifying for a simple solution to your
difficulties, if I'm understanding them correctly (it consists of
copying the dvds to disc as "iso" files and using apt-cdrom to create
sources accessible by apt-get).

http://oldsite.debianhelp.org/node/10486

HTH




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnk760js.30v.curty@einstein.electron.org">http://lists.debian.org/slrnk760js.30v.curty@einstein.electron.org
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Richard Owlett
 
Default Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

Curt wrote:

On 2012-10-05, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

To summarize:

I effectively _HAVE_ the contents of a relevant repository
on 8 physically discrete DVDs.
I *REQUIRE* that content to reside on a single partition of
a single disk in a form acceptable to apt-get.
For reasons I'll not go into, any solution requiring
networking of any form is irrelevant.



The thread below looks edifying for a simple solution to your
difficulties, if I'm understanding them correctly (it consists of
copying the dvds to disc as "iso" files and using apt-cdrom to create
sources accessible by apt-get).

http://oldsite.debianhelp.org/node/10486

HTH




Thanks. I'm not sure if that ends up at quite the same point
I'm aiming at. I'm a newbie whose methodology ,_at the
moment_, is driven more by desire to understand Linux than
to than using it.


I was comparing the version of "Debian Repository HOWTO "
at http://www.isotton.com/debian/docs/repository-howto/ with
the older version which is on debian.org. Initial readings
seemed the same. I didn't understand why one was labeled
"obsolete". So I started doing a sentence by sentence
comparison. That slowed me down enough to start
understanding what I was reading ;/ That and having the CD
in the drive and looking at the files as I was reading about
them.









--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 50743C86.2000700@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/50743C86.2000700@cloud85.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org