Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
"geoff"

Default Squeeze point release broke keyboard and mouse

Hoping someone**can steer me in the right
direction. The most recent point release went into my system on Sunday. Upon
rebooting the keyboard and mouse are inactive. The mouse is usb, and can be
activated by unplugging and plugging it back in. The keyboard is ps2 and can
not be activated. The unusual thing is that everything works perfectly if I boot
into the root account, but not if I boot into my user account. Also, the kb
works fine in grub, but not after booting into the user account.
Following is the results of hwinfo.
*
hwinfo --keyboard
14: PS/2 00.0: 10800
Keyboard**********************************

* [Created at input.161]
* UDI:
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_KBD_port_logicaldev_input
*
Unique ID: nLyy.+49ps10DtUF
* Hardware Class: keyboard
* Model:
"AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
* Vendor: 0x0001
* Device:
0x0001 "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
* Compatible to: int 0x0211
0x0001
* Device File: /dev/input/event0
* Device Number: char
13:64
* Driver Info #0:
*** XkbRules:
xfree86
*** XkbModel: pc104
* Config Status: cfg=new,
avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
*
Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 AM
"geoff"

wrote:

> You should fix your clock.
>
>> Hoping
someone* can steer me in the right direction. The most recent

point release went into my system on Sunday. Upon rebooting the keyboard

>> and mouse are inactive. The mouse is usb, and can be activated by

>> unplugging and plugging it back in. The keyboard is ps2 and can
not be
>> activated. The unusual thing is that everything works
perfectly if I boot
>> into the root account, but not if I boot into
my user account. Also, the
>> kb works fine in grub, but not after
booting into the user account.
>> Following is the results of
hwinfo.

> So if you log in as root, everything works?
> What
if you create a new user, and try from there?

> Does it work from
a console?

> --
> "If you're not careful, the newspapers
will have you hating the people
> who are being oppressed, and loving the
people who are doing the
> oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Yep,
everything works fine in root. I'd also tried creating another user
account,
and it displayed the same behaviour as my other user account.

Clock is
fine both in the bios and from the user account. *(obviously not on the
laptop I'm using for mail, but as this*isn't a "why
won't windows work correctly list" I don't expect a fix from here).

The only way I can use a console is to
utilise the on screen keyboard, which
is hit and miss at best. (gok hangs
frequently).

Cheers.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Chris Bannister

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:58:39PM +1000, geoff wrote:

> Yep, everything works fine in root. I'd also tried creating another user
> account, and it displayed the same behaviour as my other user account.

OK. What packages were upgraded? The log in /var/log/dpkg should help
you here. Obviously, look for any packages related to the keyboard.

> The only way I can use a console is to utilise the on screen keyboard, which
> is hit and miss at best. (gok hangs frequently).

What sort of computer is this?

tal% apt-cache show gok
N: Can't select versions from package 'gok' as it is purely virtual
N: No packages found

(Note: I'm running wheezy)

You could consider upgrading to wheezy, it will be the new stable in a
few months anyway

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Karen Lewellen

hi,
was that a typo below, as in 2 tb?
Indeed Dr dos does have an approximately 2 gb limit for the primary dos
partition. this dell laptop has a disk size of about 8 gig, so we
partitioned the rest into amounts smaller than 3 gig, since my best
understanding is that it can swing 4 gig. However the first
partition its d: drive technically has no allocation units according to
Dr dos 703's edition of chkdsk. the other two partitions e and f are just
fine though.
Yes I do realize partition magic is still legal, but not so sure about
its availability free for dos, because its new owners state as of July 2011
they are no longer offering partition magic at all. There is a link for a
free partition magic on the partition wizard site, the replacement product
for partition magic, but it is not directing
me clearly in lynx.
Still I will check out offerings you present here. your note gives me
an idea, perhaps shifting the primary dos partition slightly so it is closer
to that 2 gig window, which is why no data loss is important.

Karen

Archive: Pine.BSF.4.64.1210050706010.1767@server1.shellworl d.net">http://lists.debian.org/Pine.BSF.4.64.1210050706010.1767@server1.shellworl d.net

Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Dimitris Papageorgiou

Στις 25/04/2007 06:29 μμ, ο/η geoff *γραψε:
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. The most recent
point release went into my system on Sunday. Upon rebooting the
keyboard and mouse are inactive. The mouse is usb, and can be
activated by unplugging and plugging it back in. The keyboard is ps2
and can not be activated. The unusual thing is that everything works
perfectly if I boot into the root account, but not if I boot into my
user account. Also, the kb works fine in grub, but not after booting
into the user account.

When you say boot into the root account do you mean recovery mode from
grub menu?

If yes this bug may be relevant

Check if relevant packages (sysvinit, sysv-rc...) were upgraded.

Archive: 506EFA0E.7040307@gmx.com">http://lists.debian.org/506EFA0E.7040307@gmx.com

Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
"geoff"

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Re: Squeeze point release broke keyboard and mouse
From: Chris Bannister
<cbannister@slingshot.co.nz>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 17:41:58 +1300