-   -   problems with remote install using ipmi serial-over-ip (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/708955-problems-remote-install-using-ipmi-serial-over-ip.html)

Miles Fidelman 10-02-2012 04:43 AM

problems with remote install using ipmi serial-over-ip

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been trying to do a remote install onto a server (Supermicro
X8SIE-LN4F motherboard) - booting via PXE, and using a serial-over-IP
terminal provided by the IPMI board.

Took a bit to get it mostly working - DHCP, TFTP, PXE, net boot all work.

The serial-over-ip terminal, sort of works.... - I can get the installer
to load, and give me a boot> prompt, and a simple CR gets it running. I
can go all the way through, and it sure seems like I've partitioned the
drive, installed all the software, and so forth, but.... when I restart,
the system hangs. I'm guessing it might be a grub install problem, but
now I'm stuck...

- typing anything at the boot> prompt, except a CR (e.g., boot
parameters, expert, rescue) leads to a hang - so I can't do either of
the obvious troubleshooting steps:

- going into rescue mode and playing with grub
- reinstalling, but using an SSH connection instead of the serial-over-IP

And, just for the heck of it, I tried putting *|rescue/enable=true into
the append clause in
/srv/tftp/debian-installer/amd64/boot-screens/txt.cfg - where the
installer picks up its boot parameters - but it seems to be ignored|*

Kind of wracking my brain here. Any thoughts on what I might try next?

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 506A70FF.60200@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/506A70FF.60200@meetinghouse.net

Chris Davies 10-02-2012 12:49 PM

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Well, I've been trying to do a remote install onto a server (Supermicro
> X8SIE-LN4F motherboard) - booting via PXE, and using a serial-over-IP
> terminal provided by the IPMI board.

> The serial-over-ip terminal, sort of works.... - I can get the installer
> to load, and give me a boot> prompt, and a simple CR gets it running. I
> can go all the way through, and it sure seems like I've partitioned the
> drive, installed all the software, and so forth, but.... when I restart,
> the system hangs. I'm guessing it might be a grub install problem, but
> now I'm stuck...

Does the IPMI give you a virtual CD/DVD drive, too? My experience with
remote installations on Dell kit a couple of years ago was that the
drive order changed after installation, and the boot code wasn't happy
with that.

I used to need to edit the kernel boot line, along with the hd(0,0)
stanza, and then also fix up /etc/fstab. (That last has been handled
somewhat better by referencing the root partition by label or uuid,
but back then it wasn't done that way.)

Chris

Miles Fidelman 10-02-2012 08:59 PM

Chris Davies wrote:

[...]

Yeah... it sure does seem to be a grub issue.

Finally managed to figure out how to get into the installer's rescue
mode, over a remote serial connection. It turns out that the installer,
when accessed over a remote serial connection, forgets its kernel
options when going into rescue mode

i.e.:
the installer netboots (PXE) with boot options loaded from
/srv/tftp/debian-installer/amd64/boot-screens/txt.cfg:

console=ttyS2,115200n8 earlyprint=serial,ttyS2,115200n8 priority=low

when the boot: prompt comes up on the remote serial console

boot: CR #works just fine
boot: rescue CR # fails miserably
boot: rescue console=ttyS2,115200n8 #works just fine

Sigh....

Off to figure out what grub-install messed up!

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra