Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Default openmotif 3

You will have 3 solutions I guess:
_ find an old package with the libmotif3
_ find a more recent version of your software
_ try to compile your software against the more recent version of
motif, with the underlying probable work (but it can also be very
straightforward, depending of if libmotif4 broke many things or not)

I would like to run a program that requires libXm.so.3 but libmotif3
has been replaced by libmotif4 and I can not find anywhere
libXm.so.3.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Dan

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> You will have 3 solutions I guess:
> _ find an old package with the libmotif3
> _ find a more recent version of your software
> _ try to compile your software against the more recent version of motif,
> with the underlying probable work (but it can also be very straightforward,
> depending of if libmotif4 broke many things or not)

Hi Berenger,

I think that I will have to find an old package of libmotif3, but I do
not know where... there is no more oldstable distribution. Maybe I can
download it from the website of openmotif.

I have the most recent version of the software and I can not compile it.

Dan

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM

I have just made some researches, and... well... I have no clue why
debian named it "libmotif4" as version number is 2.3.3...
Now I am thinking about this, finding an old package might give some
problems too, because it will be linked with older versions of other
libs, notably libc6, which is an essential part of a linux system.

The best is probably to try to compile libmotif3 (whatever real version
it is) from sources and hope it'll work.

If it does not, you will have to recompile your software.

Maybe you can do things in another way, but I can not see how.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:25:16PM +0200, Dan wrote:
> I would like to run a program that requires libXm.so.3 but libmotif3
> has been replaced by libmotif4 and I can not find anywhere libXm.so.3.
> Any idea?

I have found that symlinking LibXm.so.3 to LibXm.so.4 works for some
legacy applications. It might be worth a try.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Mark Allums

I would like to run a program that requires libXm.so.3 but libmotif3
has been replaced by libmotif4 and I can not find anywhere libXm.so.3.
Any idea?

I have found that symlinking LibXm.so.3 to LibXm.so.4 works for some
legacy applications. It might be worth a try.

Cannot both be present in the lib directory at the same time? Acquire
LibXm.so.3 from an archive and copy it to the right place, then try it.
Unless there is some conflict or gotcha I'm not aware of?

Archive: 506B4E24.70506@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/506B4E24.70506@allums.com

Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 PM

If it does not work, it could if you just send files in /usr/local/...
and write a script to start your application.

Something like:
[pseudocode]
LD_LIBRARY=/usr/local/dumb/openStrangeThing:$LD_LIBRARY
/usr/bin/mySoftware
[/pseudocode]
It might work... but it also might not, depending on compilation
options.

Do not you are able to give more informations about your program? Like
it's name, if someone knows it or if it is publicly available...

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Dan

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:25:16PM +0200, Dan wrote:
>> I would like to run a program that requires libXm.so.3 but libmotif3
>> has been replaced by libmotif4 and I can not find anywhere libXm.so.3.
>> Any idea?
>
> I have found that symlinking LibXm.so.3 to LibXm.so.4 works for some
> legacy applications. It might be worth a try.

Hi Jon, thanks a lot. That works!