Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default can multiarch break my system?

Hi folks,

I would like to install wine on my pure 64-bit system. Wine is telling me,
that I need to add i386 architecture on it (dpkg --add-architecture).
Of course I need 32-bit libs.

But before I do this, I want to make sure, that under no circumstances, other
libs, that I need for wine (or some other applications which are pure 32-bit)
are installed at the next update / upgrade.

Does apt or aptitude make sure, that only the needed 32-bit-libs are
installed? And if I want wine to deinstall, do I get rid of all 32-bit-libs,
too?

And last, but not least, is there anything I have to pay attention before
installing 32-bit libs of wine (and others), when I want to use multiarch (I
think of setting some priorities or pinnings at apt or aptitude)?

Thanks for any feedback!

Best regards

Hans

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

If you upgrade to Wheezy, which is quite stable at this point, you can
directly install 64-bit Wine packages.

Archive: 5069ED7C.2060802@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/5069ED7C.2060802@rogers.com

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Gary Dale