Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Brian

Default can multiarch break my system?

On Wed 03 Oct 2012 at 23:04:40 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> What broken is multiarch in Sid. They are getting ready to switch
> to it, but all of the pieces aren't there yet. My guess is it will
> stay broken until well after the release of Wheezy. Perhaps they
> intend for Jessie to be fully multiarch-capable.
>
> Just guessing.

The mail at

has

> Seems like we need a release where multiarch is classed as an
> experimental feature, which when enabled can break the system.

Certainly. That's what wheezy will be.

So your guess is not far off.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
lee

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> The mail at
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00658.html
>
> has
>
> > Seems like we need a release where multiarch is classed as an
> > experimental feature, which when enabled can break the system.
>
> Certainly. That's what wheezy will be.

There are probably quite a few people who need 32bit support. They
better get it to work again ASAP and at least before the next release.
I don't trust Debian anymore.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
lee

Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> writes:

> Good time of the day, lee.
>

> You wrote:
>
>> Wine? I tried that a few years ago and it couldn't even run notepad
>> though they're always claiming it can run almost everything.
>
> I recommend You to try again. )

That's always recommended: try wine. They make great claims.

Fortunately, I don't need it.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM
lee

Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:14:51 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> Hello lee,
>
>>Wine? I tried that a few years ago and it couldn't even run notepad
>
> And, of course, since then, they've not done *any* development of it.
> It's stuck in a bubble, untouched, unloved, unchanged. So, your
> experience from N years ago will be *exactly* the same this time.
>
> In case you don't get it, that's sarcasm.

Well, you may be right, though. I tried it years before that and it
didn't work, either, despite the claims.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch