-   -   help using serial console w/ netboot (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/708826-help-using-serial-console-w-netboot.html)

Lars Noodén 10-01-2012 05:32 PM

help using serial console w/ netboot

On 10/1/12 8:23 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to build a headless, remote server - using an IPMI serial
> terminal and PXEboot. The thing is, that I've got everything set up to
> the point that the install system is booting (I can see the splash
> screen via a remote KVM), but can't access it via a remote serial console.
>
> I think I need to put some magic incantation in ../pxelinux.cfg, or
> possibly some other config file - but can't find any documentation on
> how to do it (what I have found is contradictory and doesn't work for
> me). (For what it's worth, it's a supermicro rack-mount server, with
> on-board IPMI 2, but I think the issue is configuring the boot file
> properly.)
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Miles Fidelman

Serial booting with PXE booting needs changes in three places, from what
I recall. These are from my notes, speed 19200:

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/syslinux.cfg:

serial 0 19200 0

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/txt.cfg:

append vga=788 inited=debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
console=ttyS0,19200 earlyprint=serial,ttyS0,19200

debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default:

serial 0 19200 0

There's a fair amount of more complete notes out there if you search a bit.

Regards,
/Lars

Miles Fidelman 10-01-2012 05:51 PM

help using serial console w/ netboot

Hi Lars,

Lars Noodén wrote:

On 10/1/12 8:23 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to build a headless, remote server - using an IPMI serial
terminal and PXEboot. The thing is, that I've got everything set up to
the point that the install system is booting (I can see the splash
screen via a remote KVM), but can't access it via a remote serial console.

Serial booting with PXE booting needs changes in three places, from what
I recall. These are from my notes, speed 19200:

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/syslinux.cfg:
serial 0 19200 0

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/txt.cfg:
append vga=788 inited=debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
console=ttyS0,19200 earlyprint=serial,ttyS0,19200

This is the line the seemed to be needed. I've made progress, but not
quite there yet (see below).

debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default:
serial 0 19200 0

There's a fair amount of more complete notes out there if you search a bit.

Not that I've found. The txt.cfg file fix wasn't in anything I found!

I now see the loading debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz line show up on
the remote serial console, followed by lots of line feeds, then
everything freezes, and there's nothing on the KVM screen this time (as
I recall from my last install with a monitor connected, the installer
will continue to feed info to the VGA console).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra