Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
lina

Default internet speed

Hi,

Recently I notice my laptop's internet connection speed is really slow.
and sometimes seems no connection.

I don't know how to start to examine, any suggestions?

Thanks with best regards,

Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
lina

On Monday 01,October,2012 11:02 PM, ARAVIND CHAK wrote:
> Hi,
> If you are downloading, your browser's download manager may show speed
> in KBps(KiloBytes per sec). Properly speaking these are now called
> KiBytes to emphasize that 1 KiByte is 1024 Bytes of 8 bits each. A 1
> Mbps speed quoted by ISPs is actually 1,000,000 bits persec.
> So take a screenshot of the slow speed as shown on the download window,
> and send this to your ISP in a VERY polite letter. There is a good
> chance that due to an increasing customer-bas there are algorithms
> running which ration out speed to users. My ex-ISP did (they admitted
> speed-throttling).
>
> If you are on Debian you should also be able to take screenshots of the
> plot shown on System Monitor.
> Hope this helps.

I don't have download manager. It's alright, I am in lab. so no need
concern the ISP.

I just worry that something wrong with my laptop. the desktop next to me
runs very well. when I send emails or open webpage. but this one.
sending email with attachment always complained timeout recent two days.

Thanks,

Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM
lee

lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I notice my laptop's internet connection speed is really slow.
> and sometimes seems no connection.
>
> I don't know how to start to examine, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks with best regards,

Restart the router?

see http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch

Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis

Find out the lan speed?

ethtool eth0
iwconfig wlan0

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

For me what work is DNS, most of the time i face slow net issue it is
oftenly problem with my primary DNS.
it takes time when DNS query shifts from primary to secondary if
primary timed out. so better you check the response from DNS too. my
be this would help. IMO

ykhan

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
lina

On Wednesday 03,October,2012 07:03 PM, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Find out the lan speed?

I changed to another cable from another port,

old IP: 172.21.51.36

new one: 172.21.51.38

The new one works magic,
old one sometimes works, sometimes not. especially when I was back
coming 1 or 2 hours absence.

Now change the old cable (with different plugin port) back. the ip still
keep the new one, 172.21.51.38.

The ethtool eth0 output looks the same.

Thanks,

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, lina.

Thank You for Your time and answer.
You wrote:

> I changed to another cable from another port,
>
> old IP: 172.21.51.36
>
> new one: 172.21.51.38
>
> The new one works magic,
> old one sometimes works, sometimes not. especially when I was back
> coming 1 or 2 hours absence.
>
> Now change the old cable (with different plugin port) back. the ip
> still keep the new one, 172.21.51.38.

How do You get the address?

Sthu.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
lina

On Wednesday 03,October,2012 09:24 PM, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day, lina.

Thanks, I got impression about your greeting style.

You too.

> Thank You for Your time and answer.
> You wrote:
>
>> I changed to another cable from another port,
>>
>> old IP: 172.21.51.36
>>
>> new one: 172.21.51.38
>>
>> The new one works magic,
>> old one sometimes works, sometimes not. especially when I was back
>> coming 1 or 2 hours absence.
>>
>> Now change the old cable (with different plugin port) back. the ip
>> still keep the new one, 172.21.51.38.
>
> How do You get the address?

I did nothing.

I use the resolvconf

/etc# ls -lrt resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 2 15:55 resolv.conf ->
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

# more network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
dns-nameservers x.x.x.7 x.x.x.225
dns-search example.edu

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

If the IP is not bound to the port, then it is probably assigned from a
pool of addresses.

So:

old cable, old port = bad.
new cable, old port = good

What about old cable, new port?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, lina.

You wrote:

> I did nothing.
>
> I use the resolvconf
>
> /etc# ls -lrt resolv.conf
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 2 15:55 resolv.conf ->
> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
>
> # more network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> dns-nameservers x.x.x.7 x.x.x.225
> dns-search example.edu

Oh, it is DHCP - then it depends on it - in which case to change IP.
And we do not know how it configured. But as long as You will have that
good IP - not depended on ports, etc - You will have better connection.

Sorry, can not help more.

Sthu.