Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   mutt - can't copy message, other weirdness (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/708768-mutt-cant-copy-message-other-weirdness.html)

Tony Baldwin 10-01-2012 01:53 PM

mutt - can't copy message, other weirdness
 
This is weird.
I have mutt on my main box, running squeeze (amd64, blah blah),
and on several accounts (one at gmx.com, one at gmail, and one on one of my own servers,
this one, tony@tonybaldwin.org).
I can't open any new messages, and they show without a subject.
When I try to open messages, I just get an error,"Can't copy message".

Now, I have the same three accounts set up with mutt on two servers also running
squeeze (one is a little celeron 3.2ghz here in my office, and the other on linode),
and they're all working fine (using the little celeron "server" in my office at this moment).

So, clearly, the problem shouldn't be mutt or squeeze, but something going on
on the main box (the amd64/squeeze box).

How would I even go about beginning to diagnose this problem?

Thanks,
Tony Baldwin
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time

Tony Baldwin 10-01-2012 01:56 PM

mutt - can't copy message, other weirdness
 
On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:53:45AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> This is weird.
> I have mutt on my main box, running squeeze (amd64, blah blah),
> and on several accounts (one at gmx.com, one at gmail, and one on one of my own servers,
> this one, tony@tonybaldwin.org).
> I can't open any new messages, and they show without a subject.
> When I try to open messages, I just get an error,"Can't copy message".
>
> Now, I have the same three accounts set up with mutt on two servers also running
> squeeze (one is a little celeron 3.2ghz here in my office, and the other on linode),
> and they're all working fine (using the little celeron "server" in my office at this moment).
>
> So, clearly, the problem shouldn't be mutt or squeeze, but something going on
> on the main box (the amd64/squeeze box).
>
> How would I even go about beginning to diagnose this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Baldwin
> --
> http://www.tonybaldwin.me
> all tony, all the time

I probably should have specified that all 3 accounts are using IMAP, not POP3,
as well.
Also, as mentioned, I can access them with mutt on other machines,
and also online or with other muas (iceape or icedove) without issue,
so, the problem is definitely at my end, and specifically with mutt,
but specifically on the one machine, since mutt works fine with these accts. on other machines.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time

Tony Baldwin 10-01-2012 01:59 PM

mutt - can't copy message, other weirdness
 
On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:56:47AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 09:53:45AM -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > This is weird.
> > I have mutt on my main box, running squeeze (amd64, blah blah),
> > and on several accounts (one at gmx.com, one at gmail, and one on one of my own servers,
> > this one, tony@tonybaldwin.org).
> > I can't open any new messages, and they show without a subject.
> > When I try to open messages, I just get an error,"Can't copy message".
> >
> > Now, I have the same three accounts set up with mutt on two servers also running
> > squeeze (one is a little celeron 3.2ghz here in my office, and the other on linode),
> > and they're all working fine (using the little celeron "server" in my office at this moment).
> >
> > So, clearly, the problem shouldn't be mutt or squeeze, but something going on
> > on the main box (the amd64/squeeze box).
> >
> > How would I even go about beginning to diagnose this problem?
>
> I probably should have specified that all 3 accounts are using IMAP, not POP3,
> as well.
> Also, as mentioned, I can access them with mutt on other machines,
> and also online or with other muas (iceape or icedove) without issue,
> so, the problem is definitely at my end, and specifically with mutt,
> but specifically on the one machine, since mutt works fine with these accts. on other machines.

Sorry to keep piling on the same thread, but it occurs to me that I should also mention:
I did do a bit of googling and duckduckgoing on this, but everything I can find with
"imap, can't copy message" is for tbird, kmail, etc., so I haven't delved into that.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time

Steve McIntyre 10-01-2012 02:44 PM

mutt - can't copy message, other weirdness
 
Tony Baldwin wrote:
>This is weird.
>I have mutt on my main box, running squeeze (amd64, blah blah),
>and on several accounts (one at gmx.com, one at gmail, and one on one of my own servers,
>this one, tony@tonybaldwin.org).
>I can't open any new messages, and they show without a subject.
>When I try to open messages, I just get an error,"Can't copy message".
>
>Now, I have the same three accounts set up with mutt on two servers also running
>squeeze (one is a little celeron 3.2ghz here in my office, and the other on linode),
>and they're all working fine (using the little celeron "server" in my office at this moment).
>
>So, clearly, the problem shouldn't be mutt or squeeze, but something going on
>on the main box (the amd64/squeeze box).
>
>How would I even go about beginning to diagnose this problem?

Check you're able to create files locally. IME the most common causes
of this kind of problem is:

* out of space
* out of inodes
* read-only filesystem

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
"We're the technical experts. We were hired so that management could
ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs." -- Mike Andrews


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: E1TIhEs-0000ZB-79@mail.einval.com">http://lists.debian.org/E1TIhEs-0000ZB-79@mail.einval.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.