Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default Squeeze boots into my LVM over RAID, but wheezy won't.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:44:16 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> Put /boot on the RAID.
>
> MBR loads GRUB, and GRUB does the rest of the heavy lifting.
>
> Upgrading to Wheezy will go a long way toward making this easier. It's
> in feature freeze, and what's holding up release is finishing the
> installer and assorted housekeeping. Only bugfixes are being done to
> the packages themselves.

Actually ....

I got it to boot squeeze fine with /boot and / on LVM on RAID.

But when I ungraded to wheezy, just booting has turned into a nightmare.
I can boot wheezy with the squeeze kernel just fine, (except that the
rest of wheeze had trouble working with that kernel), but booting wheezy's
3.x kernel doesn't work. I'm told the embedding region isn't big enough,
even when I use wheezy's grub (lilo has different terminology, but the
effect is the same). And it seems to be because it's a cross-disk
scenario (which I take to say the boot disk is not the place the OS is
stored) that it needs more space. And it considers the RAID to be a
separate disk from the physical disks that it resides on, so even the
dame physical drive is a cross-disk scenario.

I'll be starting another thread about this.

It's been a long while since we needed a separate /boot partition in a
special area on disk because of BIOS limitations. Now something similar
is coming back, but for different reasons.

It looks as if I've got to find nonRAID space for /boot.

-- hendrik

Old 10-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:44:16 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>> Put /boot on the RAID.
>>
>> MBR loads GRUB, and GRUB does the rest of the heavy lifting.
>>
>> Upgrading to Wheezy will go a long way toward making this easier. It's
>> in feature freeze, and what's holding up release is finishing the
>> installer and assorted housekeeping. Only bugfixes are being done to
>> the packages themselves.
>
> Actually ....
>
> I got it to boot squeeze fine with /boot and / on LVM on RAID.
>
> But when I ungraded to wheezy, just booting has turned into a nightmare.
> I can boot wheezy with the squeeze kernel just fine, (except that the
> rest of wheeze had trouble working with that kernel), but booting wheezy's
> 3.x kernel doesn't work. I'm told the embedding region isn't big enough,
> even when I use wheezy's grub (lilo has different terminology, but the
> effect is the same). And it seems to be because it's a cross-disk
> scenario (which I take to say the boot disk is not the place the OS is
> stored) that it needs more space. And it considers the RAID to be a
> separate disk from the physical disks that it resides on, so even the
> dame physical drive is a cross-disk scenario.
>
> I'll be starting another thread about this.
>
> It's been a long while since we needed a separate /boot partition in a
> special area on disk because of BIOS limitations. Now something similar
> is coming back, but for different reasons.
>
> It looks as if I've got to find nonRAID space for /boot.

How big's your post-MBR gap?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:08:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:44:16 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>>>
>>> Put /boot on the RAID.
>>>
>>> MBR loads GRUB, and GRUB does the rest of the heavy lifting.
>>>
>>> Upgrading to Wheezy will go a long way toward making this easier. It's
>>> in feature freeze, and what's holding up release is finishing the
>>> installer and assorted housekeeping. Only bugfixes are being done to
>>> the packages themselves.
>>
>> Actually ....
>>
>> I got it to boot squeeze fine with /boot and / on LVM on RAID.
>>
>> But when I ungraded to wheezy, just booting has turned into a
>> nightmare. I can boot wheezy with the squeeze kernel just fine, (except
>> that the rest of wheeze had trouble working with that kernel), but
>> booting wheezy's 3.x kernel doesn't work. I'm told the embedding
>> region isn't big enough, even when I use wheezy's grub (lilo has
>> different terminology, but the effect is the same). And it seems to be
>> because it's a cross-disk scenario (which I take to say the boot disk
>> is not the place the OS is stored) that it needs more space. And it
>> considers the RAID to be a separate disk from the physical disks that
>> it resides on, so even the dame physical drive is a cross-disk
>> scenario.
>>
>> I'll be starting another thread about this.
>>
>> It's been a long while since we needed a separate /boot partition in a
>> special area on disk because of BIOS limitations. Now something
>> similar is coming back, but for different reasons.
>>
>> It looks as if I've got to find nonRAID space for /boot.
>
> How big's your post-MBR gap?

I gather that's the so-called embedding region. I don't know. How do I
go about finding out? Can I change it?

-- hendrik

Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:08:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> How big's your post-MBR gap?
>
> I gather that's the so-called embedding region. I don't know. How do I
> go about finding out? Can I change it?

fdisk -l /dev/sdX

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:48:53 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:08:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> How big's your post-MBR gap?
>>
>> I gather that's the so-called embedding region. I don't know. How do
>> I go about finding out? Can I change it?
>
> fdisk -l /dev/sdX

I guess I'd have to read between the lines here:

The boot device:

april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0000449a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 1 124 995998+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdd2 * 125 246 979965 82 Linux swap /
Solaris
/dev/sdd3 247 490 1959930 83 Linux
/dev/sdd4 16000 30401 115684065 5 Extended
/dev/sdd5 16000 18432 19543041 83 Linux
april:/farhome/hendrik#

One of the drives the RAID containing the new system is on (the other is
similar):

april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000c13eb

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 132 1060258+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 133 3266 25173855 83 Linux
/dev/sdc4 3267 91201 706337887+ fd Linux raid
autodetect
april:/farhome/hendrik#

-- hendrik

Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:48:53 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I gather that's the so-called embedding region. I don't know. How do
>>> I go about finding out? Can I change it?
>>
>> fdisk -l /dev/sdX
>
> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdd
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdd1 1 124 995998+ 83 Linux
>
> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdc1 1 132 1060258+ 83 Linux

There's no post-MBR gap since sdX1 starts on "1".

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:04:56 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:48:53 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> fdisk -l /dev/sdX
>>
>> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdd
>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sdd1 1 124 995998+ 83 Linux
>>
>> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sdc1 1 132 1060258+ 83 Linux
>
> There's no post-MBR gap since sdX1 starts on "1".

So I'd have to move those partitions slightly so they'll start at 2?

Or 3?

That I can probably do!

Is there any way to tell how much space is needed?

-- hendrik

Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Shane Johnson

When I use fdisk to create partitions, I turn off DOS*compatibility (c command)*and uses sectors(u command) and start my partitions at the default (2048 I beleive) and I don't have any problems. *
Shane

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k4cnlr$6km$1@ger.gmane.org

--
Shane D. JohnsonIT AdministratorRasmussen Equipment

Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Tom H

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:04:56 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
>> wrote:

>>> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdd
>>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>> /dev/sdd1 1 124 995998+ 83 Linux
>>>
>>> april:/farhome/hendrik# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>> /dev/sdc1 1 132 1060258+ 83 Linux
>>
>> There's no post-MBR gap since sdX1 starts on "1".
>
> So I'd have to move those partitions slightly so they'll start at 2?
>
> Is there any way to tell how much space is needed?

For compatibility with modern drives, 2048.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 AM
CaT

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 10:48:53AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:08:43 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >>
> >> How big's your post-MBR gap?
> >
> > I gather that's the so-called embedding region. I don't know. How do I
> > go about finding out? Can I change it?
>
> fdisk -l /dev/sdX

fdisk -c -u -l /dev/sdX is preferred these days as you really want to see
the gap in sectors and not cylinders.

--
"A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."