Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 AM

Default Virtualbox 4.1

I am using Virtualbox 4.1 (non-free edition). Everything works, but for a
minor issue. To access usb drives, I am supposed to add the user to
vboxusers group. But, that group is non-existent.

I can create that group. But, to access the usb drives, should I change
the ownership of devices like /dev/usb* ? If so, I would appreciate any
pointers in this regard.

Regards,

Sridhar

Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Johann Spies

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 06:13:57PM -0700, mas@mylug.org wrote:
> I am using Virtualbox 4.1 (non-free edition). Everything works, but for a
> minor issue. To access usb drives, I am supposed to add the user to
> vboxusers group. But, that group is non-existent.
>
> I can create that group. But, to access the usb drives, should I change
> the ownership of devices like /dev/usb* ? If so, I would appreciate any
> pointers in this regard.

Do not change ownership of /dev/usb*

I have this in my /etc/fstab

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

where in /etc/group

plugdev:x:46:<user>

Google for 'virtual box debian usb' and you will find helpful pointers.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be
ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."
I Peter 4:16
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Chen Wei

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 06:13:57PM -0700, mas@mylug.org wrote:
> I am using Virtualbox 4.1 (non-free edition). Everything works, but for a
> minor issue. To access usb drives, I am supposed to add the user to
> vboxusers group. But, that group is non-existent.

Have you installed the VirtualBox Extension Pack?

I have installed virtualbox 4.1 recently, the vboxusers group was
already there after installation.

--
Chen Wei

Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM

> Have you installed the VirtualBox Extension Pack?
>
> I have installed virtualbox 4.1 recently, the vboxusers group was
> already there after installation.

That did the trick. I had forgotten to install that after having
downloaded it :-(

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Sridhar

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Mark Allums

On 9/30/2012 8:13 PM, mas@mylug.org wrote:

I am using Virtualbox 4.1 (non-free edition). Everything works, but for a
minor issue. To access usb drives, I am supposed to add the user to
vboxusers group. But, that group is non-existent.

I can create that group. But, to access the usb drives, should I change
the ownership of devices like /dev/usb* ? If so, I would appreciate any
pointers in this regard.

Regards,

Sridhar

Have you installed the "Guest Additions"? This makes USB easier in
Virtualbox.

Archive: 5069F0DD.8040506@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/5069F0DD.8040506@allums.com

Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Mark Allums

On 10/1/2012 2:37 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

On 9/30/2012 8:13 PM, mas@mylug.org wrote:

I am using Virtualbox 4.1 (non-free edition). Everything works, but for a
minor issue. To access usb drives, I am supposed to add the user to
vboxusers group. But, that group is non-existent.

I can create that group. But, to access the usb drives, should I change
the ownership of devices like /dev/usb* ? If so, I would appreciate any
pointers in this regard.

Regards,

Sridhar

Have you installed the "Guest Additions"? This makes USB easier in
Virtualbox.

Sorry, not Guest Additions (that's the next step). I meant, Extension
Pack. Have you installed it?