Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/708367-nvidia-upgrade-304-48-1-sid.html)

Charles Kroeger 09-29-2012 05:15 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
Has anyone else done this upgrade and found it breaks an X session?
I had to install the xserver-xorg-video-vesa server to take the place of the nvidia
driver.

My nvidia stuff:

ii glx-alternative-nvidia 0.2.2 amd64
ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 304.48-2 amd64
ii libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
ii libglx-nvidia-alternatives 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-alternative 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-glx 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-installer-cleanup 20120630+3 amd64
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20120630+3 amd64
ii nvidia-kernel-dkms 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-kernel-source 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-libopencl1:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
ii nvidia-settings 304.48-1 amd64
ii nvidia-support 20120630+3 amd64
ii nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia 304.48-2 amd64

missing something?

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: acoolgFgspmU1@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/acoolgFgspmU1@mid.individual.net

Pascal Obry 09-29-2012 06:06 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
Charles,

> Has anyone else done this upgrade and found it breaks an X session?

Yes, I'm using it since some days now. No problem with gdm and GNOME
Shell on my side, all works fine.

> missing something?

A clean-up of an old driver? I would advise to uninstall everything,
exit X session and install back from a console.

Pascal.

--

--|------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
--|------------------------------------------------------
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
--|
--| gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 506738C1.4090807@obry.net">http://lists.debian.org/506738C1.4090807@obry.net

Charles Kroeger 09-30-2012 05:13 AM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:30:01 +0200
Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:

> A clean-up of an old driver? I would advise to uninstall everything,
> exit X session and install back from a console.
>
> Pascal.

Thanks for this suggestion, I did this, as you suggested, removed and purged
everything nVidia then reinstalled. I did get two messages one about the
incompatibility of nvidia with the nouveau module that can't be removed but all
will be well with a reboot. The other message was about nvidia not being enabled
in the xorg.conf file. This is not news I'll tell you.

That damn xorg.conf file again. What is it with that file?

I made an X11/xorg.conf file before, wrote in "nvidia" for the driver and this was
sufficient until this last upgrade.

Error message after the X-server failed: no module found so it's something else,
since the "vesa" driver works when added instead of "nvidia" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I'll continue to screw my nut in the mean time.

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: acq2ohFpv54U1@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/acq2ohFpv54U1@mid.individual.net

Mark Allums 09-30-2012 06:50 AM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On 9/30/2012 12:13 AM, Charles Kroeger wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:30:01 +0200
Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> wrote:


A clean-up of an old driver? I would advise to uninstall everything,
exit X session and install back from a console.

Pascal.


Thanks for this suggestion, I did this, as you suggested, removed and purged
everything nVidia then reinstalled. I did get two messages one about the
incompatibility of nvidia with the nouveau module that can't be removed but all
will be well with a reboot. The other message was about nvidia not being enabled
in the xorg.conf file. This is not news I'll tell you.

That damn xorg.conf file again. What is it with that file?

I made an X11/xorg.conf file before, wrote in "nvidia" for the driver and this was
sufficient until this last upgrade.

Error message after the X-server failed: no module found so it's something else,
since the "vesa" driver works when added instead of "nvidia" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I'll continue to screw my nut in the mean time.



did you run

$nvidia-xconfig

? Try that.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 5067EBCD.50403@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/5067EBCD.50403@allums.com

Xelsior 09-30-2012 01:16 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
Charles Kroeger,

Hi. See my message "What is the procedure for patching the Debian
kernel ?". I had a similar problem with the nvidia driver. I need to
rebuild the nvidia DKMS driver manually after some package updates for
my custom kernel. This has worked before with no problem. But on a
recent update I can no longer build nvidia DKMS for my custom kernel
(the vanilla kernel is fine). Not sure why this is but maybe the error
messages I quote can help in some way.

Barney Holmes

On 29 September 2012 18:15, Charles Kroeger
<ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> wrote:
> Has anyone else done this upgrade and found it breaks an X session?
> I had to install the xserver-xorg-video-vesa server to take the place of the nvidia
> driver.
>
> My nvidia stuff:
>
> ii glx-alternative-nvidia 0.2.2 amd64
> ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 304.48-2 amd64
> ii libgl1-nvidia-glx:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
> ii libglx-nvidia-alternatives 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-alternative 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-glx 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-installer-cleanup 20120630+3 amd64
> ii nvidia-kernel-common 20120630+3 amd64
> ii nvidia-kernel-dkms 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-kernel-source 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-libopencl1:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
> ii nvidia-settings 304.48-1 amd64
> ii nvidia-support 20120630+3 amd64
> ii nvidia-vdpau-driver:amd64 304.48-2 amd64
> ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia 304.48-2 amd64
>
> missing something?
>
> --
> CK
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/acoolgFgspmU1@mid.individual.net
>



--
~~~
http://djbarney.org
~~~


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CADMQe-m8Q2ZncQHVvSDpbCGCE-1sD+jbKb=HT8R7geMa71UVQA@mail.gmail.com

Charles Kroeger 09-30-2012 10:14 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:00:01 +0200
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> did you run
>
> $nvidia-xconfig

I tried your suggestion and got this:

~$ nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

and this one:

$ $nvidia-xconfig
bash: -xconfig: command not found

and this:

# nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

what package is nvidia-xconfig in? Why would I need this, and what does it do? I
don't think it creates a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I've read similar letters with
old dates like 2010 that suggested this solution but I believe it's redundant.

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: acruiiF9hheU1@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/acruiiF9hheU1@mid.individual.net

Charles Kroeger 09-30-2012 11:17 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:20:02 +0200
Xelsior <xelsior24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure why this is but maybe the error
> messages I quote can help in some way.
>
> Barney Holmes

Thank you Barney, where are the error messages you quote, in your message with
the subject: "What is the procedure for patching the Debian kernel ?"

I'm interested.

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: acs29jFai0lU1@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/acs29jFai0lU1@mid.individual.net

Charles Kroeger 09-30-2012 11:25 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:20:02 +0200
Xelsior <xelsior24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. See my message "What is the procedure for patching the Debian


Ah disregard my previous quiry..I see your message now previously obscured.

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: acs2mpFai0lU2@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/acs2mpFai0lU2@mid.individual.net

Mark Allums 10-01-2012 07:28 PM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On 9/30/2012 5:14 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:00:01 +0200
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:


did you run

$nvidia-xconfig


I tried your suggestion and got this:

~$ nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

and this one:

$ $nvidia-xconfig
bash: -xconfig: command not found

and this:

# nvidia-xconfig
bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

what package is nvidia-xconfig in? Why would I need this, and what does it do? I
don't think it creates a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I've read similar letters with
old dates like 2010 that suggested this solution but I believe it's redundant.




It works for me. I have the complete nvidia "suite" installed. Not the
CUDA stuff, nor the Tesla stuff, but everything related to the packaged
proprietary driver. It *does* create an xorg.conf file if one is not
present. In general, the xorg.conf file is considered unnecessary, and
possibly even deprecated. In new installs, everything pretty much "just
works". However, on my elderly install, even though it's wheezy with
excursions into sid, it still requires me to have the file, and I
occasionally have to run nvidia-xconfig to reset it when something
messes with it. I suppose I should create a backup, but....we all have
our hangups.


Anyway, what you are looking for is in its own package, named, oddly
enough, nvidia-xconfig.





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 5069EEDF.1080104@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/5069EEDF.1080104@allums.com

Charles Kroeger 10-13-2012 04:53 AM

Nvidia upgrade 304.48.1 in sid
 
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:30:02 +0200
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> what you are looking for is in its own package, named, oddly
> enough, nvidia-xconfig.

Thanks for an interesting read, almost philosophical as it were, I see this package
is available for sid however although it will create a fancy
looking /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, more exotic than the one I wrought by hand, this
is not what I needed. I became aware that a necessary package was missing:

linux-headers-amd64

then an extra step of reinstalling the package: nvidia-kernel-dkms

By that re-installation the dkms kernel will, in the presence of the correct
linux-headers, provide the nvidia module, that necessary thing required to use
'nvidia' in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I would not have known this except for Lennart Sorensen who explained it to me.

--
CK


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: adsaemF3136U1@mid.individual.net">http://lists.debian.org/adsaemF3136U1@mid.individual.net


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.