Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Felix Natter

Default Printing to parallel port printer

hi,

I am trying to configure an /dev/lp0-Printer via:
http://localhost:631/admin

I click on "Add Printer", but then I cannot choose a local printer
(it just shows:
Local Printers:
Discovered Network Printers:
Other Network Printers:
Continue
)

Similar result when using the gnome add printer wizard.

I can print without problems by converting ps->ljet4 using ghostscript
and then doing a "cat x.ljet4 > /dev/lp0".

I am using a freshly-updated Debian wheezy.

Thanks!
--
Felix Natter

Old 09-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Brian

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 17:43:12 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:

> I am trying to configure an /dev/lp0-Printer via:
> http://localhost:631/admin
>
> I click on "Add Printer", but then I cannot choose a local printer
> (it just shows:
> Local Printers:
> Discovered Network Printers:
> Other Network Printers:
> Continue
> )
>
> Similar result when using the gnome add printer wizard.

It would be quite amazing if there was not a positive outcome to

lsmod | grep parport

but what do you get as the output of this command?

> I can print without problems by converting ps->ljet4 using ghostscript
> and then doing a "cat x.ljet4 > /dev/lp0".
>
> I am using a freshly-updated Debian wheezy.

The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
is about.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Felix Natter

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 17:43:12 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:

hi Brian,

>> I am trying to configure an /dev/lp0-Printer via:
>> http://localhost:631/admin
>>
>> I click on "Add Printer", but then I cannot choose a local printer
>> (it just shows:
>> Local Printers:
>> Discovered Network Printers:
>> Other Network Printers:
>> Continue
>> )
>>
>> Similar result when using the gnome add printer wizard.
>
> It would be quite amazing if there was not a positive outcome to
>
> lsmod | grep parport
>
> but what do you get as the output of this command?

parport_pc 22036 1
parport 31254 3 parport_pc,lp,ppdev

>> I can print without problems by converting ps->ljet4 using ghostscript
>> and then doing a "cat x.ljet4 > /dev/lp0".
>>
>> I am using a freshly-updated Debian wheezy.
>
> The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
> web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
> is about.

Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
:-(

Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
module?

Thanks,
--
Felix Natter

Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Brian

On Sun 30 Sep 2012 at 13:00:44 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
> > web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
> > is about.
>
> Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
> :-(
>
> Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
> module?

I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.

The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
the output is "unknown".

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Roger Leigh

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 05:39:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 30 Sep 2012 at 13:00:44 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
>
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
> > > web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
> > > is about.
> >
> > Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
> > :-(
> >
> > Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
> > module?
>
> I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
> should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.
>
> The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
> from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
> give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
> the output is "unknown".

Note that this does depend on having a modern (bidirectional)
parallel port cable and port, and a printer supporting
IEEE status readback on the parallel port for autodetection.
Any system and printer from the last 12 years should support
this. But if you've used an ancient cable, that could cause
trouble.

Even if autodetection fails, you should be able to just set
it up manually with parallel:/dev/lp0 or equivalent.

Also: check that the CUPS lp backend is executable.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh
`. `' schroot and sbuild http://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Felix Natter

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

hi Brian, hi Roger,

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 05:39:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:

>> > Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
>> > :-(
>> >
>> > Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
>> > module?
>>
>> I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
>> should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.
>>
>> The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
>> from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
>> give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
>> the output is "unknown".

It was recognized:
direct parallel:/dev/lp0 "HP LaserJet 1100" "HP LaserJet 1100 LPT #1" "MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP LaserJet 1100;DES:HP LaserJet 1100 Printer;CMD:MLC,PCL,PJL;CLS:PRINTER;REV:1.1;IO PREFS:ECP18;" ""

> Also: check that the CUPS lp backend is executable.

Thanks for the idea, I found this in the /var/log/cups/error_log:

E [03/Oct/2012:19:16:53 +0200] [CGI] Directory "/usr/lib/cups/backend" has insecure permissions (040777/uid=0/gid=0).

It worked after I adjusted the permissions (which resulted in the
backends being shown on the admin page) and added a symlink from
backend-available to to ../backend/parallel (after doing this I can
select the parallel port printer).

I guess something went wrong during update of the cups packages?

Thank you both very much for your help!
--
Felix Natter