-   -   Support for VESA Textmode 132x60 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/70833-support-vesa-textmode-132x60.html)

Joey Schulze 04-16-2008 04:15 PM

Support for VESA Textmode 132x60

Hi,

I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
132x60 characters. Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
provides this particular mode.

Unfortunately, not many of current video cards support this VESA mode,
thus the nice text mode is not available.

Therefore, I have started a Wiki page to collect information on the
availability of this particular text mode in graphic cards:

<http://wiki.debian.org/TextMode_132x60>

I hope this list is helpful for others who are interested in such a
text mode.

If you work with a modern graphics card and have definitive knowledge
whether or not this mode is supported, it would be nice to drop me a
line or add that information to said page right away on your own.

Regards,

Joey

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.

Ron Johnson 04-16-2008 08:11 PM

Support for VESA Textmode 132x60

Luis Ariel Lecca 04-16-2008 08:38 PM

On 04/16/08 11:15, Joey Schulze wrote:
> I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
> support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
> 132x60 characters. Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
> provides this particular mode. * Did you probe*using framebuffer*? (which uses graphic mode)...its slower than VESA BIOS support...

Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle.
Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa.
Visitá www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar

Joey Schulze 04-17-2008 06:16 AM

Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
> > support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
> > 132x60 characters. Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
> > provides this particular mode.
> >
> > Unfortunately, not many of current video cards support this VESA mode,
> > thus the nice text mode is not available.
> >
> > Therefore, I have started a Wiki page to collect information on the
> > availability of this particular text mode in graphic cards:
> >
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/TextMode_132x60>
> >
> > I hope this list is helpful for others who are interested in such a
> > text mode.
> >
> > If you work with a modern graphics card and have definitive knowledge
> > whether or not this mode is supported, it would be nice to drop me a
> > line or add that information to said page right away on your own.
>
> Can you remind us how to activate this "on-the-fly" with lilo (so
> that I don't have to edit /etc/lilo.conf?

Sure, just add 'vga=ask' to the kernel commandline. Just press left or
right shift (both work), select the kernel and add the string. The
kernel will then ask which VGA mode you'd like to use. Once you know
the mode number you can safely add it to lilo.conf.

Regards,

Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature. -- Larry Wall

Joey Schulze 04-17-2008 06:17 AM

Luis Ariel Lecca wrote:
> On 04/16/08 11:15, Joey Schulze wrote:
> > I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
> > support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
> > 132x60 characters. Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
> > provides this particular mode.
>
> Did you probe using framebuffer ? (which uses graphic mode)...its slower
> than VESA BIOS support...

The framebuffer is irrelevant when you want a text mode, and - as you
write yourself - it's also slower. The real text mode is the
interesting mode.

Regards,

Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature. -- Larry Wall

"Douglas A. Tutty" 04-29-2008 12:33 AM

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 08:17:32AM +0200, Joey Schulze wrote:
> Luis Ariel Lecca wrote:
> > On 04/16/08 11:15, Joey Schulze wrote:
> > > I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
> > > support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
> > > 132x60 characters. Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
> > > provides this particular mode.
> >
> > Did you probe using framebuffer ? (which uses graphic mode)...its slower
> > than VESA BIOS support...
>
> The framebuffer is irrelevant when you want a text mode, and - as you
> write yourself - it's also slower. The real text mode is the
> interesting mode.

I wish that there was a smooth 80x25, same size as normal but without
the black scan lines in-between the white scan lines.

Doug.