Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Michael C

Default Lenny d-i and KDE

Hi,

Does the current build of the Lenny d-i allow users to specify a
KDE-only desktop installation?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:51:48PM +0100, Michael C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does the current build of the Lenny d-i allow users to specify a
> KDE-only desktop installation?

the lenny beta1 release includes a kde version of cd 1:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/lenny_di_beta1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

as does the weekly snapshot:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

please see:

for more details

Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Michael C

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:51:48PM +0100, Michael C wrote:

Hi,

Does the current build of the Lenny d-i allow users to specify a
KDE-only desktop installation?

the lenny beta1 release includes a kde version of cd 1:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/lenny_di_beta1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

as does the weekly snapshot:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

please see:

for more details

D'oh!

Sorry Andrew --- I didn't make myself nearly clear enough --- is the
Lenny d-i *net* install CD able to provide for a KDE-only installation?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
"Eduardo M KALINOWSKI"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Michael C <sieverfrisch@yahoo.ie> wrote:
> Sorry Andrew --- I didn't make myself nearly clear enough --- is the
> Lenny d-i *net* install CD able to provide for a KDE-only installation?

The net install includes only the base system. It does not come with
KDE, it'll have to be installed later via the internet or other more
difficult means.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Michael C

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

Sorry Andrew --- I didn't make myself nearly clear enough --- is the
Lenny d-i *net* install CD able to provide for a KDE-only installation?

The net install includes only the base system. It does not come with
KDE, it'll have to be installed later via the internet or other more
difficult means.

Oh I see -- I'd envisaged something akin to Etch's net installer
(which presented an option to download and install the Gnome desktop)
from when it was still the Testing branch.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:29:42PM +0100, Michael C wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Michael C <sieverfrisch@yahoo.ie> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry Andrew --- I didn't make myself nearly clear enough --- is the
>>> Lenny d-i *net* install CD able to provide for a KDE-only installation?
>>>

>> The net install includes only the base system. It does not come with
>> KDE, it'll have to be installed later via the internet or other more
>> difficult means.
>
> Oh I see -- I'd envisaged something akin to Etch's net installer
> (which presented an option to download and install the Gnome desktop)
> from when it was still the Testing branch.

there is an option to select the "Desktop" task, but I don't know that
it differentiates between flavors of desktop. I haven't installed in
quite a while now, so I can't speak to that. You should investigate
the `tasksel` command as that's the one that allows these selections.

Of course, you could just install the base system and then use your
favorite package manager to install the desktop/wm of your choice.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 17 April 2008 03:19:28 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:29:42PM +0100, Michael C wrote:
> > Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> >>
> >> The net install includes only the base system. It does not come with
> >> KDE, it'll have to be installed later via the internet or other more
> >> difficult means.
> >
> > Oh I see -- I'd envisaged something akin to Etch's net installer
> > (which presented an option to download and install the Gnome desktop)
> > from when it was still the Testing branch.
>
> there is an option to select the "Desktop" task, but I don't know that
> it differentiates between flavors of desktop. I haven't installed in
> quite a while now, so I can't speak to that. You should investigate
> the `tasksel` command as that's the one that allows these selections.
>
> Of course, you could just install the base system and then use your
> favorite package manager to install the desktop/wm of your choice.

Usually, if you go in expert mode, ie enter at the boot prompt:
expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"
you should get a system with kde on it. But it is/was broken lately, and would
give you a gnome + kde desktop.
See here:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

where you get this:

KDE and Xfce CDs also install GNOME
This is due to a change in tasksel for which we've neglected to update the
tools used to build CD images. It is possible to work around this issue by
booting the installer with an extra option: install desktop=kde, or install
desktop=xfce.
The problem has already been fixed for weekly built CD images.

Thierry