Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Artifex Maximus

Default GRUB problem after clone

Hello!

I would like to move from old 320GB HDD to a new 1TB HDD. I have the
following partition structure:

sda1 - XP
sda2 - Debian 7 x86_64 (boot partition)
sda3 - swap

The GRUB is on the sda2 partition not in the MBR. That's why sda2 is
the boot partition. If I set sda1 as boot partition XP runs. I just do
not want to disturb original MBR loader code.

I clone my system to a new bigger HDD using Clonezilla 2 for Linux. At
start GRUB loader only writes GRUB on the screen and nothing else
happen. If I set sda1 as boot XP load and works fine. I've tried to
reinstall grub under RIPLinux x86_64 with mount sda2 and chroot but no
success. update-grub displays no error but no success. The Linux
filesystem including /boot folder and grub is there. Most likely there
is some missing piece which is not part of filesystem therefore
clonezilla misses that part.

My question is what is the recommended way of reinstall GRUB after
cloning in such situation? Why update-grub does not works? Might try
to copy with dd and resize later?

Bye,

Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Brian

On Fri 28 Sep 2012 at 22:24:16 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> I would like to move from old 320GB HDD to a new 1TB HDD. I have the
> following partition structure:
>
> sda1 - XP
> sda2 - Debian 7 x86_64 (boot partition)
> sda3 - swap
>
> The GRUB is on the sda2 partition not in the MBR. That's why sda2 is
> the boot partition. If I set sda1 as boot partition XP runs. I just do
> not want to disturb original MBR loader code.
>
> I clone my system to a new bigger HDD using Clonezilla 2 for Linux. At
> start GRUB loader only writes GRUB on the screen and nothing else
> happen. If I set sda1 as boot XP load and works fine. I've tried to
> reinstall grub under RIPLinux x86_64 with mount sda2 and chroot but no
> success. update-grub displays no error but no success. The Linux
> filesystem including /boot folder and grub is there. Most likely there
> is some missing piece which is not part of filesystem therefore
> clonezilla misses that part.
>
> My question is what is the recommended way of reinstall GRUB after
> cloning in such situation? Why update-grub does not works? Might try
> to copy with dd and resize later?

At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 28 Sep 2012 at 22:24:16 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> I would like to move from old 320GB HDD to a new 1TB HDD. I have the
>> following partition structure:
>>
>> sda1 - XP
>> sda2 - Debian 7 x86_64 (boot partition)
>> sda3 - swap
>>
>> The GRUB is on the sda2 partition not in the MBR. That's why sda2 is
>> the boot partition. If I set sda1 as boot partition XP runs. I just do
>> not want to disturb original MBR loader code.
>>
>> I clone my system to a new bigger HDD using Clonezilla 2 for Linux. At
>> start GRUB loader only writes GRUB on the screen and nothing else
>> happen. If I set sda1 as boot XP load and works fine. I've tried to
>> reinstall grub under RIPLinux x86_64 with mount sda2 and chroot but no
>> success. update-grub displays no error but no success. The Linux
>> filesystem including /boot folder and grub is there. Most likely there
>> is some missing piece which is not part of filesystem therefore
>> clonezilla misses that part.
>>
>> My question is what is the recommended way of reinstall GRUB after
>> cloning in such situation? Why update-grub does not works? Might try
>> to copy with dd and resize later?
>
> At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
> will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.

Thanks. Might I was not clean. This is not grub prompt just a GRUB
line on the screen. Keys even ctrl-alt-del don't work. I assume this
is the output of loader in the boot sector of sda2.

Bye,

Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Brian

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 18:56:43 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
> > will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.
>
> Thanks. Might I was not clean. This is not grub prompt just a GRUB
> line on the screen. Keys even ctrl-alt-del don't work. I assume this
> is the output of loader in the boot sector of sda2.

No, you clearly described your situation. It was me who mangled it. I
think what I wanted to say was the UUID of the partition in grub.cfg
would not be the same as before the cloning, so the file needs editing.
blkid would be used to get the new UUID. Alternatively, deleting the
search line and having the linux line as

linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2

might work.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Artifex Maximus

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 18:56:43 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
>> > will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.
>>
>> Thanks. Might I was not clean. This is not grub prompt just a GRUB
>> line on the screen. Keys even ctrl-alt-del don't work. I assume this
>> is the output of loader in the boot sector of sda2.
>
> No, you clearly described your situation. It was me who mangled it. I
> think what I wanted to say was the UUID of the partition in grub.cfg
> would not be the same as before the cloning, so the file needs editing.
> blkid would be used to get the new UUID. Alternatively, deleting the
> search line and having the linux line as
>
> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
>
> might work.

Thanks for your answer but the problem is the loader stops before
text was displayed by boot sector of partition. This means that GRUB
loader in boot sector of partition does not find the next stage of
GRUB. I do not know why. I do not know how to reinstall GRUB to my
Debian partition. The UUID of swap partition lost in clone but I think
there is a myriad of tutorial how to change UUID of partition.

Here is the blkid output:

/dev/sda1: UUID="01CBD00909925860" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="6fcb6e1c-92a2-4ac5-beac-e997ab08491f"
SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda3: TYPE="swap"

Here is the grub.cfg part:

menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64' --class debian
--class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6fcb6e1c-92a2-4ac5-beac-e997ab08491f
echo 'Loading Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64 ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-3-amd64
root=UUID=6fcb6e1c-92a2-4ac5-beac-e997ab08491f ro quiet acpi=force
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-3-amd64
}

And here is the fstab:

# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=6fcb6e1c-92a2-4ac5-beac-e997ab08491f / ext3
errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=d76a59a5-e778-41c6-8d2d-e10a52bd739f none swap sw
0 0

Bye,

Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Artifex Maximus

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 18:56:43 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > At the GRUB prompt press the 'e' key. Please post what you see. There
>> > will probably be a long UUID. To save some typing put 123 for it.
>>
>> Thanks. Might I was not clean. This is not grub prompt just a GRUB
>> line on the screen. Keys even ctrl-alt-del don't work. I assume this
>> is the output of loader in the boot sector of sda2.
>
> No, you clearly described your situation. It was me who mangled it. I
> think what I wanted to say was the UUID of the partition in grub.cfg
> would not be the same as before the cloning, so the file needs editing.
> blkid would be used to get the new UUID. Alternatively, deleting the
> search line and having the linux line as
>
> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
>
> might work.

Just for the record. I download the latest Wheezy DVD and try to
recover GRUB under rescue mode. No success still only displaying GRUB
at boot and nothing else.

Then do some more search and found the following page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

As Ubuntu is based on Debian I choose as the recommended way to go.
Then I turn to this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix

Downloaded and use boot repair application to reinstall(?) GRUB on
sda2 and finally my GRUB is working and I was able to load Debian.
Then upgrade my Debian system and because there was GRUB upgrade as
well the upgrade asked me what is the boot system as my device.map is
changed. I select sda2 and upgrade do the rest. So now I am happy
Debian user again on a bigger drive.

Thanks for all of your help.

Bye,