-   -   Two cronjobs for apticron? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/707918-two-cronjobs-apticron.html)

Stephan Seitz 09-27-2012 06:30 PM

Two cronjobs for apticron?

Hi!

System: Debian Squeeze

After the installation of apticron I noticed I have two cronjobs.
One belongs to the package and is installed in /etc/cron.daily. It calls
apticron without options.
The other one is created by the postinst script in /etc/cron.d with
a random start time. It calls apticron with the -cron option which
creates a status file in /var, so that apticron only runs once a day.

Since the first cronjob calls apticron without an option, apticron will
run twice a day. Does anyone know the reason for this behaviour?

Greetings,

Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |

Martin Steigerwald 09-28-2012 11:37 AM

Two cronjobs for apticron?

Am Donnerstag, 27. September 2012 schrieb Stephan Seitz:
> Hi!
>
> System: Debian Squeeze
>
> After the installation of apticron I noticed I have two cronjobs.
> One belongs to the package and is installed in /etc/cron.daily. It
> calls apticron without options.
> The other one is created by the postinst script in /etc/cron.d with
> a random start time. It calls apticron with the -cron option which
> creates a status file in /var, so that apticron only runs once a day.
>
> Since the first cronjob calls apticron without an option, apticron will
> run twice a day. Does anyone know the reason for this behaviour?

Maybe not.

Does apticron -cron yield a full apticron run or just update that status
file?

Anything in /usr/share/doc/apticron/README.Debian.gz?

I use cronapt.

Stephan Seitz 09-28-2012 12:11 PM

Two cronjobs for apticron?

Since the first cronjob calls apticron without an option, apticron
will run twice a day. Does anyone know the reason for this behaviour?

Maybe not.
Does apticron -cron yield a full apticron run or just update that status
file?

No, it’s a full run. From the manpage:

The --cron option is only meant to be used when invoked by cron/anacron
in order to run no more than once a day.

Anything in /usr/share/doc/apticron/README.Debian.gz?

Nope, nothing.

I use cronapt.

cron-apt? I didn’t find anything in its configuration, so that it would
send the changelog as well.

Stephan

Stephan Seitz 09-28-2012 01:31 PM

Two cronjobs for apticron?

After the installation of apticron I noticed I have two cronjobs.

This is fixed in Testing as I have noticed. The package apticron doesn’t
ship a file in /etc/cron.daily anymore but only creates one in
/etc/cron.d.

Stephan

Jacek Politowski 09-28-2012 03:46 PM

Two cronjobs for apticron?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 03:31:19PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 08:30:36PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:

>>After the installation of apticron I noticed I have two cronjobs.

>This is fixed in Testing as I have noticed. The package apticron
>doesn’t ship a file in /etc/cron.daily anymore but only creates one
>in /etc/cron.d.

See bug #587597 for more information.

--
Jacek Politowski