Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Wally Lepore

Default md5sum "How-To" for Debian iso download

Hi Members,

Been at this for quite some time. I'm new to the application called
"md5sum.exe" thus please be patient. I researched the "how-to" and
attempted to verify the debian netinst file called,
"debian-6.0.5-i386-inetinst.iso" that I downloaded yesterday.

I'm using windows 2000 and windows 7 to learn the process of verifying
that the file I downloaded is in fact "error free". I went into the
command prompt (cmd) in windows and attempted to execute the
md5sum.exe file to check the iso file I downloaded.

I downloaded the debian iso file to my desktop and installed the
md5Sum.exe as per recommended (in system32) folder. I'm not sure I'm
typing the correct path.

I utilized the following tutorials but they did not work for me. I
believe the error is in my coding inside the command prompt.

http://154.ca/otr/iso/md5sum.shtml
http://www.etree.org/md5com.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/LQ_ISO/Checking_the_md5sum_in_Windows

Can anyone please point to a tutorial to accomplish this procedure?

Thank you very much
Wally

Old 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Darac Marjal

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:53:19PM -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> Hi Members,
>
> Been at this for quite some time. I'm new to the application called
> "md5sum.exe" thus please be patient. I researched the "how-to" and
> attempted to verify the debian netinst file called,
> "debian-6.0.5-i386-inetinst.iso" that I downloaded yesterday.
>
> I'm using windows 2000 and windows 7 to learn the process of verifying
> that the file I downloaded is in fact "error free". I went into the
> command prompt (cmd) in windows and attempted to execute the
> md5sum.exe file to check the iso file I downloaded.
>
> I downloaded the debian iso file to my desktop and installed the
> md5Sum.exe as per recommended (in system32) folder. I'm not sure I'm
> typing the correct path.

Hello Wally,

You don't tell us what errors you get (if any), so it's a little
difficult to say what you're doing wrong (for example, you might be
doing things right, but not understanding the output).

You say you've copied md5sum.exe to your %WINDIR%system32 folder, so it
should be in your path now. CD to the folder where your ISO and MD5
files are, then type "md5sum -c Somefile.md5" (without the quotes). The
MD5 file will contain the name of the file to check (the ISO) and the
expected MD5.