Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Sthu Deus

Default A DVDtoMKV package.

Good time of the day.

I did not find a package in Debian official repo.s for compressing a DVD
to .mkv . Am I correct in supposing there is no such a tool?

For some time before I did use handbrake-gtk from DMO, but since
recently it ceased working - just keeps crashing and also I would
remove the repo - in favor of the official repo.s.

Thanks for Your time.

Sthu.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Wayne Topa

I did not find a package in Debian official repo.s for compressing a DVD
to .mkv . Am I correct in supposing there is no such a tool?

For some time before I did use handbrake-gtk from DMO, but since
recently it ceased working - just keeps crashing and also I would
remove the repo - in favor of the official repo.s.

A google search with of "DVD to MKV" brings up page of sites with
answers that 'may' help you.

If you tried google, instead of D-U, you would have had the answer in no
time at all.

Try finding the answer yourself. You'll learn more that way.

--
Wayne

Archive: 50637B7C.80107@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/50637B7C.80107@gmail.com

Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Pertti Kosunen

I did not find a package in Debian official repo.s for compressing a DVD
to .mkv . Am I correct in supposing there is no such a tool?

These tools have patent etc. issues in some countries, i don't think you
find them in official repos anytime soon.

http://www.google.com/#q=make+mkv+linux

Archive: 50642291.2080506@pp.nic.fi">http://lists.debian.org/50642291.2080506@pp.nic.fi

Old 09-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Rogério Brito

Hi there.

On 2012-09-26 13:40, Sthu Deus wrote:
> I did not find a package in Debian official repo.s for compressing a DVD
> to .mkv . Am I correct in supposing there is no such a tool?
>
> For some time before I did use handbrake-gtk from DMO, but since
> recently it ceased working - just keeps crashing and also I would
> remove the repo - in favor of the official repo.s.

I have been working (since mid April, IIRC) on "porting" handbrake to Debian
proper (not DMO) and it should be available in Debian "soon":

http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/handbrake_0.9.8-1~19.gbpc8b9ba.html

Unfortunately, for *license* incompatibility reasons alone, what was uploaded
had to have some features of handbrake disabled:

* we use the AAC encoding from vo-aacenc via libav, not from faac (faac is not
free)---depending on your needs, you may not even notice much difference, but if
you need more channels than stereo (e.g., 4.0, 5.1 or higher), this won't be
currently possible.

* we generate only mkv files, not mp4, because mp4v2, the library used for
"wrapping" the audio, video, subtitle contents etc. *is* free, but its license
essentially forbids linking to other GPL-licensed software.

We (the official Debian multimedia team) advise against using DMO, as the
packages from that repository can cause serious conflicts and bugs that are hard
to reproduce with the rest of a Debian-provided system.

Also, one should generally not need to install packages from there, since the
new debian releases will have full-fledged multimedia codecs, like MP3 (lame),
MP4 ASP (xvid), and MP4 AVC (x264). And this is tightly and neatly integrated
with other Debian packages like gstreamer, mplayer, mplayer2, libav/ffmpeg,
audacity and so on.

Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog : Projects : https://github.com/rbrito/