Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
lina

Default ls file exist, but can't access.

$ ls -lrt
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET
drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list

$ ls -lrt RET
ls: cannot access RET: No such file or directory

$ cat RET
cat: RET: No such file or directory

$ rm RET
rm: cannot remove `RET': No such file or directory

:~/.emacs.d$ ls
auto-save-list RET

Is it weird? or this file stored in some weird place.

There is another thing, which is isolated from this one,

/dev/sda1 95G 54G 37G 60% /
/dev/sda3 1.2T 681G 482G 59% /data
tmpfs 12G 1012K 12G 1% /dev/shm
apricot2-local:/vol/ds_vol
4.6T 1.9T 2.8T 40% /home
/dev/gpfs1 5.5T 919G 4.6T 17% /gpfs_data

/dev/gpfs1 is twice faster than /home/lina checked via dd in read and
write speed, but `ls` so slow.

I don't know how to check, indeed I have thousands of files generated
there. so I could obviously feel the time retard.

Thanks for your time,

Best regards,

Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Jochen Spieker

lina:

> $ ls -lrt
> total 8
> -rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET
> drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list

It looks like the file is not named "RET" bus " RET" instead. Quote the
whitespace and you should be able to read/delete it.

J.
--
I wish I had been aware enough to enjoy my time as a toddler.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM
lina

On Thursday 27,September,2012 12:38 AM, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> lina:
>>
>> $ ls -lrt
>> total 8
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET
>> drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list
>
> It looks like the file is not named "RET" bus " RET" instead. Quote the
> whitespace and you should be able to read/delete it.

Oh... man ... Thanks.

Best regards,

Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Neal Murphy

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:33:42 PM lina wrote:

> $ ls -lrt

> total 8

> -rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET

> drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list

*

Look closer: there's a space you are overlooking.

ls -ls " RET"

might work, and

ls -ls *RET

will definitely work (in case that character is not a space).

*

That's the main reason I always use a fixed-pitch font for CLI stuff and email.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Tony van der Hoff

On 26/09/12 17:46, Neal Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:33:42 PM lina wrote:
>
>> $ ls -lrt
>
>> total 8
>
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET
>
>> drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list
>

> Look closer: there's a space you are overlooking.
>
> ls -ls " RET"
>
> might work, and
>
> ls -ls *RET
>
> will definitely work (in case that character is not a space).
>

> That's the main reason I always use a fixed-pitch font for CLI stuff and
> email.

So why was your post HTML?

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Neal Murphy

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:48:38 PM Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > That's the main reason I always use a fixed-pitch font for CLI stuff and
> > email.
>
> So why was your post HTML?

Hoist on me own petard!

I thought I had all that turned off long ago. It keeps sneaking back, though.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> writes:

> $ ls -lrt
> total 8
> -rw-r--r-- 1 lina lina 367 Sep 27 00:15 RET
> drwx------ 2 lina lina 4096 Sep 27 00:16 auto-save-list
>
> $ ls -lrt RET
> ls: cannot access RET: No such file or directory
>
> $ cat RET
> cat: RET: No such file or directory
>
> $ rm RET
> rm: cannot remove `RET': No such file or directory
>
> :~/.emacs.d$ ls
> auto-save-list RET
>

> Is it weird? or this file stored in some weird place.

If what you're posting is an exact capture, it looks like RET has some
sort of character before the R -- possibly a space? Try

ls " RET"

and see what happens.

> There is another thing, which is isolated from this one,

> /dev/sda1 95G 54G 37G 60% /
> /dev/sda3 1.2T 681G 482G 59% /data
> tmpfs 12G 1012K 12G 1% /dev/shm
> apricot2-local:/vol/ds_vol
> 4.6T 1.9T 2.8T 40% /home
> /dev/gpfs1 5.5T 919G 4.6T 17% /gpfs_data
>
> /dev/gpfs1 is twice faster than /home/lina checked via dd in read and
> write speed, but `ls` so slow.
>
> I don't know how to check, indeed I have thousands of files generated
> there. so I could obviously feel the time retard.

I assume /ddv/gpfs1 is some sort of local device, while
aricot2-local:/vol/ds_vol is being accessed through NFS? If that's the
case, the latter is coming across a network which would make it
substantially slower (especially depending on what the network looks
like).