Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
"Stephen P. Molnar"

Default Library Problem

Although I have used linux since before the RedHat Mother's Day release
I am not an OS type person.

I have just installed the 64 bit Debian 6.05 and am encountering
problems which I am reasonably sure are due to library problems.

The error message that I get for a number of applications, most recently
Opera, is:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class:
ELFCLASS64

I presume that the error message means that there is a missing 32 bit
library on my 64 bit system. Now the problem is that I don't know how
to add a 32 bit library to 64 bit system using apt-get. My
/etc/apt/sources.list is:

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20120512-14:34]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20120512-14:34]/ squeeze contrib main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# A network mirror was not selected during install. The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
deb http://cran.case.edu/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/

what do I add to access 32 bit files:

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic and multivariate

Archive: 5062F54C.7010905@sbcglobal.net">http://lists.debian.org/5062F54C.7010905@sbcglobal.net

Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
John Hasler

Stephen P. Molnar writes:
> The error message that I get for a number of applications...

Which applications, exactly?

> ...most recently Opera...

What does Opera technical support say?
--
John Hasler

Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
lee

"Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> The error message that I get for a number of applications, most
> recently Opera, is:
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS64
>
> I presume that the error message means that there is a missing 32 bit
> library on my 64 bit system. Now the problem is that I don't know how
> to add a 32 bit library to 64 bit system using apt-get.

It looks like you have a 32bit version of Opera. There are some
packages you can install, try 'apt-cache search ia32-libs'. I'm not
sure if that lists all of them, and the NVIDIA drivers in testing are
currently broken with 32bit software that uses SDL.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
"Morel Bérenger"

Le Mer 26 septembre 2012 16:05, lee a écrit :
> "Stephen P. Molnar" <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>> The error message that I get for a number of applications, most
>> recently Opera, is:
>>
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module":
>> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class:
>> ELFCLASS64
>>

>> I presume that the error message means that there is a missing 32 bit
>> library on my 64 bit system. Now the problem is that I don't know how to
>> add a 32 bit library to 64 bit system using apt-get.
>
> It looks like you have a 32bit version of Opera. There are some
> packages you can install, try 'apt-cache search ia32-libs'. I'm not sure
> if that lists all of them, and the NVIDIA drivers in testing are currently
> broken with 32bit software that uses SDL.

Maybe the easiest would be to simply install the opera package dedicated
to debian 64 bit ?
Here is a direct link:
http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=35053&amp;location=319&nothanks=yes&sub= marine
But you should use their webpage which gave it to me:
http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=linux-x86-64&ver=12.02&local=y
(Hopefully it will not be in French )