Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Wally Lepore

Default Checksum for iso image netinst i386

Hi Members

I just downloaded the netinst (stable) release of Debian for i386
architecture. The file will fit on one CD as it is only 180MB.

Before I burn the iso image to a CD, I'd like to verify that it was
downloaded without errors. Can anyone point the way to the checksum
number?

source: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Thank you

Wally

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM
"Ralf Mardorf"

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:30:45 +0200, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com>

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/op.wk7k3qn1qhadp0@suse11-2

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Wally Lepore

>>On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:30:45 +0200, Wally Lepore wrote:
>
>> I just downloaded the netinst (stable) release of Debian for i386
>> architecture.
>> Before I burn the iso image to a CD, I'd like to verify that it was
>> downloaded without errors. Can anyone point the way to the checksum
>> number?

>On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/

Hi Ralph,

Thank you. I did search the FAQ prior to posting but did not initially
see a reference to my question until I re-checked again. The FAQ title
I have read is titled:

"How can I verify the downloaded ISO images and written optical media?"
source: http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#verify

Still working on the verify process.

Thank you

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Shane Johnson

Wally,*Try this :*http://www.debian.org/CD/verify

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CALDXikr6SxHmeMY07vk5KB68o4mreeNAKOzp_6XdsA_6Cp1XO w@mail.gmail.com

--
Shane D. JohnsonIT AdministratorRasmussen Equipment

Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Shane Johnson wrote:
> Wally,
> Try this : http://www.debian.org/CD/verify

Hi Shane,

Yes I did see this before but still not sure what I'm looking at or
how to proceed. Are you saying that I don't need to use md5sum?

I'm looking for a complete tutorial that explains how to accomplish
this otherwise simple procedure that had become difficult for me.

Thank you
Wally

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Shane Johnson

Wally,I understood from what I linked that it is part of the ISO. *I did some poking around my local mirror and found this :http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/SHA512SUMS

Hope this helps.
Shane

--
Shane D. JohnsonIT AdministratorRasmussen Equipment

Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Shane Johnson
<sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:
> Wally,
> I understood from what I linked that it is part of the ISO. I did some
> poking around my local mirror and found this :
> http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/SHA512SUMS
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Shane

Thanks Shane but the link you sent me opened with what appears to be
hundreds of hash numbers all merged together. It doesn't make sense.

Please check link. I'm using Firefox.

Thanks
Wally

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Shane Johnson

Wally,The first part of the line is the SHA512 hash and the last half is the CD the hash is for. *If you go back to the directory from the URL I sent (http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/) you can find the hashs for whichever format you *are most comfortable with.

Shane

--
Shane D. JohnsonIT AdministratorRasmussen Equipment

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 18:27 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Shane Johnson
> <sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:
> > Wally,
> > I understood from what I linked that it is part of the ISO. I did some
> > poking around my local mirror and found this :
> > http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/SHA512SUMS
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Shane
>
> Thanks Shane but the link you sent me opened with what appears to be
> hundreds of hash numbers all merged together. It doesn't make sense.
>
> Please check link. I'm using Firefox.

http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

OT:
http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
a213b1d6da1996c677706d843b6ee0f2 debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso

Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Shane Johnson wrote:

> The first part of the line is the SHA512 hash and the last half is the CD
> the hash is for. If you go back to the directory from the URL I sent
> (http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/) you can find
> the hashs for whichever format you are most comfortable with.

Hi Shane,

The first part of what line please? What is SHA512 Hash? I really
appreciate the help but I'm new to the verify iso download procedure
and would like to learn how-to use the md5sum program. Not sure I
understand what you suggest and how it relates relates.

I'll re-read your replies again and see if I can better understand.

Thank you Shane
Wally