Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Wally Lepore

Default Checksum for iso image netinst i386

>On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>
> Instead of worrying so much about verifying the checksum, you could have
> used your time to simply try to install Debian. If it failed for some
> strange reason, then there could have been a problem downloading the
> file (unlikely) or burning it to cd (more likely). If it worked, you'd
> already have your running system.

Hi Eduardo,

Thank you for helping. Perhaps I did not explain properly. I'm already
running windows as my desktop and looking to eventually install Debian
as a host distro for "Linux From Scratch" (a.k.a LFS). Please see:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

There is no immediate rush to install Debian although sooner than
later would certainly be much preferred. However before I begin the
install process, I'm looking to learn a program (such as md5sum.exe)
that calculates and verifies 128-bit MD5 hashes or (as I've read)
SHA-1 is a more secure and accurate alternative that calculates and
verifies SHA-1 hashes.

Either way, verifying files is something I need to learn as it will be
a necessity as I work with LFS and Debian (many files to download). As
you already know, many distros always recommend to verify your
download before burning to a CD.

Early on when I was just beginning the process of understanding Linux,
I tried to install Ubuntu and burned a few CD's that did not work.
Soon I discovered a windows program called "winmd5sum" that
automatically checks files for errors and sure enough my download
hashes for Ubuntu did not match. However this program does all the
work for you. I'm looking to learn how to accomplish this task inside
a command line (type: cmd or command in windows: start --> run -->
enter) as I will most certainly be working inside a similar "terminal"
in Debian.

That was good advice in regards to an error being more likely from a
bad CD burn as oppose to a file download.

Thank you... I'll let you know how I progressed.
Wally

Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Wally Lepore

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Mat Kovach <siddfinch@f-m.fm> wrote:
>
> I was using Firefox on my Windows system. I right clicked on the
> MD5SUMS file and went to 'Save Link As'. It saved the file as
> MD5SUMS.txt (Note, I may have typed the .txt extension myself
> in the Save As dialog box. I tend to make sure I assigned
> extensions to files when I same them on Windows systems).
>.....(continued)

Hi Mat

Yes I am also using Firefox. I did the procedure you described in
regards to downloading the MD5SUM.txt file. It worked. In windows 7 I
don't have to type the file extension (,txt) as it defaults to .txt in
the "save as type" selection box. However, I do understand your
procedure as I also tend to always type in the file extensions myself.

Still working your recommended procedure. Yes, probably is a lot
easier in Debian

Thank you
Wally