Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Wally Lepore

Default Checksum for iso image netinst i386

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Shane Johnson wrote:

>> If you go back to the directory from the URL I sent
>> (http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/) you can find
>> the hashs for whichever format you are most comfortable with.

Hi Shane,

Ok, I think I'm understanding. In regards to the link you sent
( http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/ ), I
opened the format titled, "md5sum" and it previewed the hash numbers
for all the iso files related to the i386 debian download.

I believe the hash that relates to my downloaded iso is:

bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

ok but now what do I do with this hash in regards to the program
md5sum.exe and my command prompt in windows?

Thanks again Shane?
Wally

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Shane Johnson

At the bottom of this page is basic instructions on how to get hashs. *Sorry for the outside of debian but it's what I could find the fastest :P
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums/3.4.0_checksums.html

Shane

--
Shane D. JohnsonIT AdministratorRasmussen Equipment

Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Wally Lepore

Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Shane Johnson wrote:

> At the bottom of this page is basic instructions on how to get hashs. Sorry
> for the outside of debian but it's what I could find the fastest :P
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums/3.4.0_checksums.html

Hi Shane,

Ok I'll give it a read and get back to you. Thanks so much for helping
this Linux newbie.

cheers
wally

Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
> bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
>
> OT:
> http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
> a213b1d6da1996c677706d843b6ee0f2 debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso

Hi Ralf,

Thank you very much for the links. Yes I see the hash's. How and what
do I need to type into the command prompt to verify in regards to the
program I installed called md5sum.exe?

Thank you
wally

Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 19:37 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
> > bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
> >
> > OT:
> > http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/MD5SUMS
> > a213b1d6da1996c677706d843b6ee0f2 debian-6.0.5-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Thank you very much for the links. Yes I see the hash's. How and what
> do I need to type into the command prompt to verify in regards to the
> program I installed called md5sum.exe?

I don't know how to do that on Windows.

Shane's Link explains some ways for Windows.

Don't you have a burning software that will show the MD5sum of the ISO?
If so, simply compare the sum with sum from the http links without
software.

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Wally Lepore

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I don't know how to do that on Windows.
> Don't you have a burning software that will show the MD5sum of the ISO?
> If so, simply compare the sum with sum from the http links without
software.

Hi Ralf,

Yes I do have software on windows called "winmd5sum" that does all
this automatically using a different process. The Cd Burner method you
mention is also another way. I will look into that. Also I discovered
there are many different ways to verify that a downloaded file is
error free. Using the program md5sum.exe is just one of many different
methods using the command line. I simply wanted to learn this
particular method, that's all.

I've found some interesting links in regards to this subject. I will
get back to the mailing list with my results. See the link below
please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

Thanks again Ralf
Wally

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

On 09/26/2012 07:00 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:
> I'm looking for a complete tutorial that explains how to accomplish
> this otherwise simple procedure that had become difficult for me.

Instead of worrying so much about verifying the checksum, you could have
used your time to simply try to install Debian. If it failed for some
strange reason, then there could have been a problem downloading the
file (unlikely) or burning it to cd (more likely). If it worked, you'd
already have your running system.

--
BOFH excuse #125:

we just switched to Sprint.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:38:37AM -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 07:00 PM, Wally Lepore wrote:
> > I'm looking for a complete tutorial that explains how to accomplish
> > this otherwise simple procedure that had become difficult for me.
>
> Instead of worrying so much about verifying the checksum, you could have
> used your time to simply try to install Debian. If it failed for some
> strange reason, then there could have been a problem downloading the
> file (unlikely) or burning it to cd (more likely). If it worked, you'd
> already have your running system.

That depends on WHY he's wanting to verify it. Either he's checking to
see that the download is complete and correct or he's checking that
what's he's downloaded is what Debian provided. It's entirely possible
for someone to upload a malicious ISO that runs correctly, yet installs
a backdoor (see, for example, the recent news about phpMyAdmin).

Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Mat Kovach

Wally Lepore writes:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I don't know how to do that on Windows.
> > Don't you have a burning software that will show the MD5sum of the ISO?
> > If so, simply compare the sum with sum from the http links without
> software.
>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Yes I do have software on windows called "winmd5sum" that does all
> this automatically using a different process. The Cd Burner method you
> mention is also another way. I will look into that. Also I discovered
> there are many different ways to verify that a downloaded file is
> error free. Using the program md5sum.exe is just one of many different
> methods using the command line. I simply wanted to learn this
> particular method, that's all.

Here is what I did

- Download a program to check MD5SUM on Windows:
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

- I extracted the zip file into c:md5sum on my system.

- I downloaded a netinstall image from
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/

debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

- Also there was a file called MD5SUMS.txt, I download that also.
Both the iso and MD5SUMS.txt file are in my download directory.
(In this case c:Users estusrDownloads)

- I ran md5sum.exe on the ISO:
c:md5summd5sum.exe -u c:Users estusrDownloadsdebian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

Note: I used the -u flag, this tells md5sum.exe to mimic the output of
the UNIX md5sum command, which was used to create MD5SUMS.txt.

OUTPUT:
C:Users estusrDownloads>c:md5summd5sums.exe -u c:Users estusrDownloadsdebian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 *debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

- I opened a notepad session, cutting and pasting the output of the
md5sum command into a new session.

- I then opened the MD5SUMS.txt file in a seperated notepad session and
looked for the debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso line:

bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

-I cut and pasted that line directly under the output of the md5sum command
I had put into the notepad session previously, getting the following
file:

bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 *debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso
bdf926d604258ce17dfba0b5ef067f17 debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso

Hence, I can verify that ISO and come to the conclusion that this
is pretty darn complicated on Windows.

To double check my work, I verified on my Debian system:

mek@kuip:tmp-> md5sum -c MD5SUMS.txt 2>&1 | grep netinst
debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso: OK

Hope that helps.