Old 09-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Celejar

Default What is playing videos in web browsers?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:52:10 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 02:22:11PM -0400, Celejar wrote:

> > > How did you do that?
> >
> The above was referencing gecko-mediaplayer and mozilla-plugin-vlc, I
> believe.
>
> Celejar, can you confirm that these plugins to view *flash* video and
> not an embedded quicktime (or other non-flash) video?

It is possible that I've muddled the issue; I had not realized that we
were discussing Flash exclusively. My use of the gecko-mediaplayer
plugin has been mostly (solely?) for sites that have links to stream
audio (but not standard mms:// or whatever links, just things that try
to open a media player in the browser).

Sorry for any confusion.

Celejar

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:11:22 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:22:28 +0200
> > lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> >> And where are these people? And why would it work for them and not for
> >> me?
> >
> > I'm one of them, and I have no idea why it doesn't work for you, but I
> > should note that it doesn't always work for me on all sites, either.
>
> It worked on none of the sites I've tried. Do you have an URL to a site
> where it does?

As per another email in this thread, I'm not talking about Flash, but
mostly (solely?) about certain types of audio content; sorry if I've
misled anyone. Take this page (Hebrew):

http://www.iba.org.il/gimmel/?entity=869508&type=269&page=248

Clicking the little red headphone-with-emanating-sound-waves brings up

"You must install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.

Click here to download and install the plugin.

Or click here to view the content directly in your Windows Media
Player."

Clicking the second link invokes gecko-mediaplayer with a normal stream
url.

Celejar

Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM
lee

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> http://www.iba.org.il/gimmel/?entity=869508&type=269&page=248
>
> Clicking the little red headphone-with-emanating-sound-waves brings up
>
> "You must install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
>
> Click here to download and install the plugin.
>
> Or click here to view the content directly in your Windows Media
> Player."
>
> Clicking the second link invokes gecko-mediaplayer with a normal stream
> url.

Yes that works, it creates a plugin-container running gmplayer. It
doesn't play a video, though.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:42:22 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > http://www.iba.org.il/gimmel/?entity=869508&type=269&page=248
> >
> > Clicking the little red headphone-with-emanating-sound-waves brings up
> >
> > "You must install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.
> >
> > Click here to download and install the plugin.
> >
> > Or click here to view the content directly in your Windows Media
> > Player."
> >
> > Clicking the second link invokes gecko-mediaplayer with a normal stream
> > url.
>
> Yes that works, it creates a plugin-container running gmplayer. It
> doesn't play a video, though.

There's no video; it's just a radio stream. Sorry if I muddled things.

Celejar

Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 AM
Mark Allums

Clicking the little red headphone-with-emanating-sound-waves brings up

"You must install the Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin.

Click here to download and install the plugin.

Or click here to view the content directly in your Windows Media
Player."

Clicking the second link invokes gecko-mediaplayer with a normal stream
url.

Yes that works, it creates a plugin-container running gmplayer. It
doesn't play a video, though.

Have you ever used Clive? Install the clive package, and see if you can
successfully download videos from YouTube or other sites that use Flash
to display video. Clive captures video directly by downloading the
stream to itself and saves it as an ordinary video file, which can be
played by any number of media players. It doesn't use wget (as far as I
know), and it doesn't require Flash. All it usually needs is a URL. It
is a command line program. It has a few options, such as

--format best

which may be helpful.

$man clive

tells you how to run it.

Also look at abby and cclive.

Try:

$clive -f best "http://vimeo.com/24972836"

Mark

Archive: 5064FD04.3030609@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/5064FD04.3030609@allums.com

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-09-27 at 20:27 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> Try:
>
> $clive -f best "http://vimeo.com/24972836"

Does it download and convert long YouTube videos on the fly or does it
take hours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KufCS2ad0eE

Regards,
Ralf

Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Siard

Celejar:
> lee:
> > Celejar:
> > > If the website gives you a mms:// url, can wget download the
> > > content from that (I don't know, I've never tried it)?
> >
> > You'd have to try, the manpage of wget doesn't say and I don't have
> > an URL to try it with.
>
> I'm pretty sure wget doesn't handle such urls.

There is a package named 'mimms' that is designed to download streams
using the MMS protocol.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:24:12 +0200
Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

> Celejar:
> > lee:
> > > Celejar:
> > >
> > > You'd have to try, the manpage of wget doesn't say and I don't have
> > > an URL to try it with.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure wget doesn't handle such urls.
>
> There is a package named 'mimms' that is designed to download streams
> using the MMS protocol.

Thanks - I usually just use vlc, which works well.

Celejar

Old 09-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Mark Allums