Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default IA64 or AMD64?

On 9/30/2012 6:02 AM, Wolf Halton wrote:
> How long after end-of-life of the itanium chip will Debian keep the port to
> IA64?

There's no requirement, that I am aware of, that says Debian must wait
until EOL of a processor before dropping support for it.

Anyone have a link to the "release inclusion criteria" for ports? Is it
even publicly published?

--
Stan

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 01:47:55 -0500
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Stan,
>
>>name I suggest above allows even the most challenged users to
>>understand.
>
> I disagree. the use of the letters INTL are already established,
> admittedly in other fields, as representing "International". For one
> letter, what's wrong with AMDINTEL64?
>
> However, x86-64 is the better option, IMO. Your contention that "most
> users don't what it is, they've never heard of it" may be true in the
> general sense, but we're talking Linux adopters here; On the whole,
> they're a bit more technically savvy that the average Joe.

Agreed, if you where going to change the name, x86-64 makes the most
sense, is the most common name for it in the Linux community (MS users
tend to use x64, which is absurd), and is technically accurate.

There is no reason to call it AMDINTEL64 or any such thing. Unless you
also want to change i386 to INTELAMD32 or some silliness, but at that
point you might as well change the official names to "32 bit AMD and
Intel processors, like the 386 and original Pentium and Athlon" and
"Itanium, Intel's huge, expensive 64 bit chip for servers that
competes with IBM POWER". I mean really, there is a point where it
just gets silly. Just use a reasonable name and give a good
description.

Speaking of which, I note that the Debian ports page has changed, it
now has improved descriptions that call out Xeon and Core2 and Itanium
by name, which I don't believe it did before.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 13:32 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 28. September 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > >
> > > Something wrong with 'x86_64'?
> >
> > FWIW I never noticed a difference between CONFIG_MK8 yes and not set
> > for real-time kernels. This x86_64 vs amd64 thingy does confuse
> > newbies, but after a while everybody understands why there are those
> > name. i368? What is it for? I only know 80386, never heard about 80368
> > . There are enough explanations available regarding to the names.
> > Changing names only will cause more confusion.
>
> Hmmm, the thing is named i386, huh?

I often read i368 too.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 10/1/2012 2:02 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> Agreed, if you where going to change the name, x86-64 makes the most
> sense, is the most common name for it in the Linux community (MS users
> tend to use x64, which is absurd), and is technically accurate.

Actually, x86-64 is no longer technically accurate. AMD renamed the
architecture from x86-64 to AMD64 to brand it, much to my chagrin.
Currently, "AMD64" is the technically accurate name of the ISA. AMD
deprecated "x86-64".

Please read my post which stated why both the AMD64 and IA64 port names
must be changed simultaneously for any renaming of ports to effect the
desired result, which is eliminating confusion amongst new/lazy users.
Changing AMD64 in isolation will do nothing to un-confuse new users when
they see "IA64" in the ports list. Anyone not in the know will
instantly think that means "Intel and AMD 64 bit CPU". This is
sufficiently confusing to many users, who apparently don't read the
descriptions, that they feel the need to ask on this list for clarification.

Again, renaming "IA64" to "Itanium" and "AMD64" to "amdintel64", or
similar, would instantly fix the confusion. Why? IA64 would no longer
exist to confuse people, and of the other port choices, "amdintel64"
would simply make sense, because the person downloading the distro knows
his/her CPU is an AMD 64 bit CPU, or an Intel 64 bit CPU, because this
information is on the processor box or computer system. The names of
the ISAs the chips support is NOT on the box or the computer system.

--
Stan