Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Hadi Motamedi

Default /var/spool/mail ?

Dear All
On my server , the /var/spool/mail/root is getting very big in size. To free up more space, can you please let me know how can I solve the problem ?
Thank you

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Hadi Motamedi

Dear All
On my server , the /var/spool/mail/root is getting very big in size . To free up more space, can you please let me know how can I solve my problem ?
Thank you

Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
"Karl E. Jorgensen"

Hi

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:47:44AM +0100, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> On my server , the /var/spool/mail/root is getting very big in size. To free up
> more space, can you please let me know how can I solve the problem ?

Sounds like you have lots of mail accumulated in root's mailbox...

Do you read and delete the mail that is sent to root?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen

Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Hadi Motamedi

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:13:38 +0100
> From: karl.jorgensen@nice.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: /var/spool/mail ?
>
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:47:44AM +0100, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
> > Dear All
> > On my server , the /var/spool/mail/root is getting very big in size. To free up
> > more space, can you please let me know how can I solve the problem ?
>
> Sounds like you have lots of mail accumulated in root's mailbox...
>
> Do you read and delete the mail that is sent to root?
>
> --
> Karl E. Jorgensen

Thank
you for your reply. Can you please let me know how can I delete them automatically or preventing from accumulating huge amount of mails there ?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Markus Falb

On 25.9.2012 12:02, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Dear All
> On my server , the /var/spool/mail/root is getting very big in size . To free up more space, can you please let me know how can I solve my problem ?
> Thank you

- grow the partition /var/spool/mail is on
- delete old mails
- forward mails instead of delivering locally (/etc/aliases)

If you take the 3rd approach, please promise not to ask what to do if
your personal mailbox is getting very big in size.

Assuming that some of this mails could be error messages, fix whatever
is causing mails to root, or you will have the same problem again.
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb

Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
SilverTip257

Root is probably locally receiving logwatch and other various email messages.

Take a look at the manpage for mail.
Become root, run the 'mail' command, and delete some of the old emails.

Going forward, you could/should consider forwarding mail destined for
root to some mailbox you check.

Mike
// SilverTip257 //