Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Jerome BENOIT

Default icedove and IceOwl: ICS attachment

Hello List:

I use IceDove to manage my emails. Today I got a message with an ICS (Calendar) attachment.
IceOwl detects the event: a banner ``This message contains an invitation to an event' is printed.
But, amazingly, I can not figure out a way to make IceOwl register the event:
any idea ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome

Archive: 506041F1.5060008@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/506041F1.5060008@rezozer.net

Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:20:17 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> I use IceDove to manage my emails. Today I got a message with an ICS
> (Calendar) attachment. IceOwl detects the event: a banner ``This message
> contains an invitation to an event' is printed. But, amazingly, I can
> not figure out a way to make IceOwl register the event: any idea ?

It should be handled (added) automatically by the calendar, at least
that's what happens with "iceowl-extension".

Do you have the ".ics" mimetype associated to IceOwl?

P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
being maintained upstream anymore.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List:

I use IceDove to manage my emails. Today I got a message with an ICS
(Calendar) attachment. IceOwl detects the event: a banner ``This message
contains an invitation to an event' is printed. But, amazingly, I can
not figure out a way to make IceOwl register the event: any idea ?

It should be handled (added) automatically by the calendar, at least
that's what happens with "iceowl-extension".

iceowl-extension is installed

Do you have the ".ics" mimetype associated to IceOwl?

I guess not: how can I check that part of the Story ?

P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
being maintained upstream anymore.

This is true.

What is the suggested replacement ?

Jerome

Greetings,

Old 09-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:33:52 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

> Hello List:
>
> On 24/09/12 16:30, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 13:20:17 +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>>
>>> I use IceDove to manage my emails. Today I got a message with an ICS
>>> (Calendar) attachment. IceOwl detects the event: a banner ``This
>>> message contains an invitation to an event' is printed. But,
>>> amazingly, I can not figure out a way to make IceOwl register the
>>> event: any idea ?
>>
>> It should be handled (added) automatically by the calendar, at least
>> that's what happens with "iceowl-extension".
>
> iceowl-extension is installed

Oops, then IceOwl should not be needed.

>> Do you have the ".ics" mimetype associated to IceOwl?
>
> I guess not: how can I check that part of the Story ?

Mmm... as you have "iceowl-extension" this one has to process the ICS
attached files, that's what happens in my case (note that I have no
Sundbird nor IceOwl installed but the calendar extension) which makes me
wonder if the ICS file you received was properly formatted.

Run a quick test by sending to yourself an invitation to a self-created
event and check how it goes.

>> P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
>> being maintained upstream anymore.
>
> This is true.
>
> What is the suggested replacement ?

For the Mozilla project I guess the former successor is Lightning (i.e.,
"iceowl-extension") but you can look for another standalone calendar app.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:30:00PM +0000, Camale�n wrote:

........snip.......

> P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
> being maintained upstream anymore.

I've read that before. Ubuntu dumped it for that reason. I can't find a
good *stand alone* replacement. Any suggestions?

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Worrier Poet

On 09/24/2012 01:56 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:30:00PM +0000, Camale�n wrote:
>
> ........snip.......
>>
>> P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
>> being maintained upstream anymore.
>
> I've read that before. Ubuntu dumped it for that reason. I can't find a
> good *stand alone* replacement. Any suggestions?

If you don't want the integrated calendar (iceowl-extension with
icedove) you might want to look at osmo. I've often thought that I'd
wind up using it if the iceowl-extension went goodbye the way iceowl did.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Jerome BENOIT

On 24/09/12 18:50, Camaleón wrote:

[...]

This is a good idea indeed :-;

I sent to an other address of mine an invitation, but there was no ICS attachment:
is it expected ?
how can we attach an ICS invitation ?

and check how it goes.

Jerome

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:29:21PM -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 01:56 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:30:00PM +0000, Camale�n wrote:

> >> P.S. Consider a replacement for IceOwl (Sunbird) because AFAICT is not
> >> being maintained upstream anymore.
> >
> > I've read that before. Ubuntu dumped it for that reason. I can't find a
> > good *stand alone* replacement. Any suggestions?
> >
> If you don't want the integrated calendar (iceowl-extension with
> icedove) you might want to look at osmo. I've often thought that I'd
> wind up using it if the iceowl-extension went goodbye the way iceowl did.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out.