Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Brian

Default hard drive clean / microsoft hidden partition

On Sun 23 Sep 2012 at 15:41:06 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> On 23/09/12 15:30, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> >> please respond by email only as I do not have reliable email
> >
> > I think you meant "by telephone". If so, you have to be kidding :-)
>
> How did that get changed? The original post most certainly said
> "telephone". I had the same thought as Camaleón

There were two original posts. This thread has responses to the second
one.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Aaron Toponce

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:33:47PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> On 9/22/2012 12:20 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/yourdrive bs=1M
>
> But does that remove the partitions themselves? I thought the OP
> was wanting to actually delete the MS partitions, which are used to
> restore a computer to its factory default with all the overbloated
> crappeware that gets put on them by the OEM.

You don't even need to go that far. Microsoft Windows uses the MSDOS/Intel
partition structure, which means the partition table for the entire drive
relies only on the first 512 bytes of the drive.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1 count=512

Done, and much faster than waiting for your drive to be erased from head to
toe (unless you do actually need that).

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o