Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Gábor Hársfalvi

Default Apt-get autoremove question

Hi,

When I run the command "apt-get autoremove" it wants to remove 115
packages, for example "network-manager, network-manager-gnome,
software-center, update-manager-core, update-manager-gnome,
update-notifier,
update-notifier-common".

But I don't want to remove these because I think they are important
system packages. Don't they are?

Why autroremove wants to remove they now?

I was know that autoremove usually helps cleaning my system safely so
I used it a lot before without problem.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 22 sep 12, 10:38:47, Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run the command "apt-get autoremove" it wants to remove 115
> packages, for example "network-manager, network-manager-gnome,
> software-center, update-manager-core, update-manager-gnome,
> update-notifier,
> update-notifier-common".
>
> But I don't want to remove these because I think they are important
> system packages. Don't they are?
>
> Why autroremove wants to remove they now?

You probably removed some (meta)package that depended on those packages.

> I was know that autoremove usually helps cleaning my system safely so
> I used it a lot before without problem.

If it were so safe the operation would have been performed
automatically, don't you think[1]?

It's not going to destroy your system[2], but I wouldn't run the
sequence

apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean

from a cronjob

[1] aptitude does, but it can be argued that it's primary mode of
operation is the interactive one, where the admin can still decide to
mark some packages as manually installed before proceeding.
[2] e.g. Essential: yes packages will never be removed in the default
configuration

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Gábor Hársfalvi

2012/9/22 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Sb, 22 sep 12, 10:38:47, Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I run the command "apt-get autoremove" it wants to remove 115
>> packages, for example "network-manager, network-manager-gnome,
>> software-center, update-manager-core, update-manager-gnome,
>> update-notifier,
>> update-notifier-common".
>>
>> But I don't want to remove these because I think they are important
>> system packages. Don't they are?
>>
>> Why autroremove wants to remove they now?
>
> You probably removed some (meta)package that depended on those packages.
>
>> I was know that autoremove usually helps cleaning my system safely so
>> I used it a lot before without problem.
>
> If it were so safe the operation would have been performed
> automatically, don't you think[1]?
>
> It's not going to destroy your system[2], but I wouldn't run the
> sequence
>
> apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean
>
> from a cronjob
>
> [1] aptitude does, but it can be argued that it's primary mode of
> operation is the interactive one, where the admin can still decide to
> mark some packages as manually installed before proceeding.
> [2] e.g. Essential: yes packages will never be removed in the default
> configuration
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

"It's not going to destroy your system[2], but I wouldn't run the
sequence

apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean

from a cronjob " -> So I should leave these packages there and leave
running these commands?

Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Wayne Topa

When I run the command "apt-get autoremove" it wants to remove 115
packages, for example "network-manager, network-manager-gnome,
software-center, update-manager-core, update-manager-gnome,
update-notifier,
update-notifier-common".

But I don't want to remove these because I think they are important
system packages. Don't they are?

Why autroremove wants to remove they now?

I was know that autoremove usually helps cleaning my system safely so
I used it a lot before without problem.

The apt-get man page describes that quite well.

Please use the tools installed on your system.

man apt-get
autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed
to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.

Also see autoclean for less destructive alternative.

Regards

--
Wayne

Archive: 505DCF14.1090900@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/505DCF14.1090900@gmail.com

Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 22 sep 12, 10:45:40, Wayne Topa wrote:
> The apt-get man page describes that quite well.
>
> Please use the tools installed on your system.
>
> man apt-get
> autoremove
> autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
> installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no
> longer needed.
>
> Also see autoclean for less destructive alternative.

Could you please elaborate?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 22 sep 12, 12:41:34, Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:

> "It's not going to destroy your system[2], but I wouldn't run the
> sequence
>
> apt-get autoremove && apt-get clean
>
> from a cronjob " -> So I should leave these packages there and leave
> running these commands?

I would suggest you use 'apt-mark' to keep what packages you need and
then 'autoremove' the rest.

If in doubt about a particular package read the long description
carefully (apt-cache show <package>) and ask here if you don't
understand something.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Gábor Hársfalvi

2012/9/22 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Sb, 22 sep 12, 10:45:40, Wayne Topa wrote:
>> The apt-get man page describes that quite well.
>>
>> Please use the tools installed on your system.
>>
>> man apt-get
>> autoremove
>> autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
>> installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no
>> longer needed.
>>
>> Also see autoclean for less destructive alternative.
>
> Could you please elaborate?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --

I run the autoremove and I reinstall packages which I need again so
this question not question now...

Thanks everybody...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, Gábor.

You wrote:

> I run the autoremove and I reinstall packages which I need again so
> this question not question now.

Or You could simply mark them as being manually installed.

Sthu.