Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Gary Roach

Default Film scanner software / hardware.

After review a gazillion scanners I have concluded that the Plustek
OpticFilm 7400 is my best choice for my needs and my budget.
Unfortunately, they don't support Linux. Vuescan doesn't support this
Plustek scanner. Does anyone know of a software solution to this
problem or know of a scanner for less than about $250 that has 48 bit
color, will actually resolve better than 3000dpi, has dust
removal, has a Dmax >= 3.6. and has multiple scan capability to
improve contrast.

I just finished a disastrous round with all in one printer and don't
want to get into another one with film scanners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary R.

PS :

1. The HP Workforce Pro 8600 with downloaded files from HP works great.

2. The package gscan2pdf has some minor bugs but is a fantastic PDF
generator.

3. Stay away from Epson.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 9/20/2012 6:16 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
> After review a gazillion scanners I have concluded that the Plustek
> OpticFilm 7400 is my best choice for my needs and my budget.
> Unfortunately, they don't support Linux. Vuescan doesn't support this
> Plustek scanner. Does anyone know of a software solution to this problem
> or know of a scanner for less than about $250 that has 48 bit color,
> will *actually* resolve better than 3000dpi, has dust removal, has a
> Dmax >= 3.6. and has multiple scan capability to improve contrast.
>
> I just finished a disastrous round with all in one printer and don't
> want to get into another one with film scanners.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

In the storage space we have this axiom:
Your options are performance, reliability, and low cost. Pick any two.

The instruction to pick two recognizes the fact that the 3 together are
impossible, while any two are possible.

You've created yourself a set of conflicting requirements. As with the
storage axiom, if you want all the features, including operation with
Linux, you simply have to spend more, or pay the same amount, and forgo
some features to get Linux compatibility.

It is that simple. Of course, you already know this. Maybe you simply
needed to hear it from a 3rd party.

--
Stan

Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 04:16:30PM -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> After review a gazillion scanners I have concluded that the Plustek
> OpticFilm 7400 is my best choice for my needs and my budget.
> Unfortunately, they don't support Linux. Vuescan doesn't support
> this Plustek scanner. Does anyone know of a software solution to
> this problem or know of a scanner for less than about $250 that has
> 48 bit color, will *actually* resolve better than 3000dpi, has dust
> removal, has a Dmax >= 3.6. and has multiple scan capability to
> improve contrast.
>
> I just finished a disastrous round with all in one printer and don't
> want to get into another one with film scanners.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gary R.
>
> PS :
> 1. The HP Workforce Pro 8600 with downloaded files from HP works great.
> 2. The package gscan2pdf has some minor bugs but is a fantastic PDF
> generator.
> 3. Stay away from Epson.

What format are you working with? If you find something for 4x5 that
doesn't require re mortgaging the house, let me know.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,