Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Lisi

Default SOLVED and thank you was: Drivers for ethernet chip on the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard.

On Thursday 20 September 2012 22:42:10 Brian wrote:
> On Thu 20 Sep 2012 at 20:58:51 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Device
> > [1969:1083] (rev c0) Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device [1458:e000]
> > Kernel driver in use: atl1c
>
> [1969:1083] is what we would expect as a device identifier. So that's
> ok.
>
> The kernel driver is loaded; lsmod also indicates the same. That's ok.
>
> Firmware has been mentioned as something which is needed. What does
>
> /sbin/modinfo atl1c
>
> say? I can see no sign in the output relating to firmware.
>
> So everything seems good to go. Except it doesn't. Let us see what the
> output of 'ifconfig -a' is. Also, are you using Network Manager? Give
> us a peek at your /etc/network/interfaces file, please.

Somewhere in all the questions and my attempts to answer them, it is now
working. (As a result perhaps of the modprobe?)

A massive thank you to all of you.

And no, I never use Network Manager. If I want a manager for my network, I
use wicd. But only for laptops, which have to be able to work in lots of
different places.

Lisi