Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Drivers for ethernet chip on the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard.

On Jo, 20 sep 12, 16:42:11, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 20 Sep 2012 at 16:27:12 +0100, Lisi wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions as to what else I could try?
>
> I suppose we could look at the specs for your motherboard to get an idea
> of what the chipset is but you're going to tell us after doing 'lspci'.

Just for the archives: the -nn option for lspci is very useful to
identify devices

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Brian

On Thu 20 Sep 2012 at 19:50:34 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Jo, 20 sep 12, 16:42:11, Brian wrote:
> >
> > I suppose we could look at the specs for your motherboard to get an idea
> > of what the chipset is but you're going to tell us after doing 'lspci'.
>
> Just for the archives: the -nn option for lspci is very useful to
> identify devices

I'd expect someone to read the manual before executing a (possibly)
unknown command and choose options which would maximise the information
to be provided.

But you are correct; -nn does give more useful information. -knn adds
driver detail which, in this case, is desirable.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 20 sep 12, 16:27:12, Lisi wrote:

> Any suggestions as to what else I could try?

Anything interesting in the logs/dmesg?

Based on the info you provided in other messages it seems like the
correct module is 'atl1c'. Try 'modprobe atl1c' and see if you get some
interesting output, possibly only in the logs.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Brian

On Thu 20 Sep 2012 at 21:25:10 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Jo, 20 sep 12, 16:27:12, Lisi wrote:
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what else I could try?
>
> Anything interesting in the logs/dmesg?
>
> Based on the info you provided in other messages it seems like the
> correct module is 'atl1c'. Try 'modprobe atl1c' and see if you get some
> interesting output, possibly only in the logs.

How about

lsmod | grep atl1c

before doing that?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 20 September 2012 18:12:50 Brian wrote:
> But you are correct; -nn does give more useful information. -knn adds
> driver detail which, in this case, is desirable.

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Device
[1969:1083] (rev c0)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device [1458:e000]
Kernel driver in use: atl1c
03:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge
[8086:244e] (rev 30)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [10ec:8139] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [10ec:8139]
Kernel driver in use: 8139too

The Realtek is indeed working, it is the one I am using.

The Atheros is not. I had discovered both that the driver needed was the
atl1c and that it ought to be in the kernel, but had assumed that I had made
a mistake somewhere because it is not working in Debian, although it worked
with Ubuntu 12.04 remix live CD. I didn't think of quizzing Ubuntu's kernel.

If the correct driver is in use, why does it not work in Squeeze?

Lisi

Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Stephan Seitz

If the correct driver is in use, why does it not work in Squeeze?

Does dmesg show anything about missing firmware files? The driver is
loaded but it can’t maybe initialise the device without firmware which
may not be installed because it is non-free.

Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 20 September 2012 21:10:24 Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 08:58:51PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> >If the correct driver is in use, why does it not work in Squeeze?
>
> Does dmesg show anything about missing firmware files? The driver is
> loaded but it can’t maybe initialise the device without firmware which
> may not be installed because it is non-free.
>
> Stephan

Yes, I thought exactly that, but have no idea how to find said firmware.
Which is where we came in, I'm afraid.

I can only find one line that refers at all to the Atheros:

[ 1.284753] atl1c 0000:02:00.0: version 1.0.1.0-NAPI

Thanks for the input.

Lisi

Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 20 September 2012 19:25:10 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 20 sep 12, 16:27:12, Lisi wrote:
> > Any suggestions as to what else I could try?
>
> Anything interesting in the logs/dmesg?
>
> Based on the info you provided in other messages it seems like the
> correct module is 'atl1c'. Try 'modprobe atl1c' and see if you get some
> interesting output, possibly only in the logs.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrei

Thanks, Andrei.

root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# modprobe atl1c
root@Tux-II:/home/lisi#

[ 1.284753] atl1c 0000:02:00.0: version 1.0.1.0-NAPI

Nothing else that I could see.

Lisi

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 20 September 2012 20:20:06 Brian wrote:
> > Based on the info you provided in other messages it seems like the
> > correct module is 'atl1c'. Try 'modprobe atl1c' and see if you get some
> > interesting output, possibly only in the logs.
>
> How about
>
> * *lsmod *| grep atl1c
>
> before doing that?

lisi@Tux-II:~$ lsmod | grep atl1c
atl1c 31785 0
lisi@Tux-II:~$

Thanks,
Lisi

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2012 21:10:24 Stephan Seitz wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 08:58:51PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
>> >If the correct driver is in use, why does it not work in Squeeze?
>>
>> Does dmesg show anything about missing firmware files? The driver is
>> loaded but it can’t maybe initialise the device without firmware which
>> may not be installed because it is non-free.
>>
>> Stephan
>
> Yes, I thought exactly that, but have no idea how to find said firmware.
> Which is where we came in, I'm afraid.
>
> I can only find one line that refers at all to the Atheros:
>
> [ 1.284753] atl1c 0000:02:00.0: version 1.0.1.0-NAPI

I do not think it needs firmware. I verified in source that in the 3.2
kernel, the atl1c driver includes the hardware ID 1083. The related
driver atl1e does not, so it is not that. At least through 3.4, atl1c
is marked experimental...

What do you get with "ifconfig -a"?

I see references to doing:
echo "1969 1083" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/atl1c/new_id

But I think that would apply for cases where the atl1c driver did not
yet include that hardware ID and this version does...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers