Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   enter BIOS menu (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/705824-enter-bios-menu.html)

Lisi 09-20-2012 03:32 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thursday 20 September 2012 16:10:15 lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during boot I entered the F10 it came into the
>
> Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility
>
> with the
>
> System BIOS 786D7 v01.02
>
> I felt a bit frustrated after trying the possible keys like F1, ESC, Del.
>
> Any suggestions? Please.

What's the problem?

What were you trying to achieve?

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209201632.15672.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201209201632.15672.lisi.reisz@gmail.com

lina 09-20-2012 03:38 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
>
> I am not sure if I understand your problem.
>
> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>
> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>
> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when you are
> used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>
> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
> manufacturer.

Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#N163

It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,

but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.

I wish to EnableIntel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
in BIOS


Best regards,
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 505B388A.5040306@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/505B388A.5040306@gmail.com

Camaleón 09-20-2012 03:43 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 23:10:15 +0800, lina wrote:

> during boot I entered the F10 it came into the
>
> Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility

(...)

Congratulations, you are inside your BIOS menu ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/k3fdi9$ocp$11@ger.gmane.org

Lisi 09-20-2012 03:49 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thursday 20 September 2012 16:38:50 lina wrote:
> > On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
> >
> > That _is_ the BIOS menu.
> >
> > What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when
> > you are used to Award BIOS or something like that.
> >
> > The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
> > manufacturer.
>
> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&c
>c=us#N163
>
> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,

Both figure 2 and figure 3 look fine to me. Figure 2 is straightforward and
Figure 3 suggests pressing any key to continue. Did you try?

Those examples specifically are how to find out the version of the BIOS that
is in use on your computer, but I see no problem in using other settings.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209201649.35606.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201209201649.35606.lisi.reisz@gmail.com

lina 09-20-2012 03:54 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thursday 20,September,2012 11:49 PM, Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2012 16:38:50 lina wrote:
>>> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>>>
>>> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>>>
>>> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when
>>> you are used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>>>
>>> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
>>> manufacturer.
>>
>> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&c
>> c=us#N163
>>
>> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>
> Both figure 2 and figure 3 look fine to me. Figure 2 is straightforward and
> Figure 3 suggests pressing any key to continue. Did you try?
>
> Those examples specifically are how to find out the version of the BIOS that
> is in use on your computer, but I see no problem in using other settings.

I tried every options there, no one leads me to the BIOS setup,

I am so confused, Thanks.



>
> Lisi
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 505B3C27.1010207@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/505B3C27.1010207@gmail.com

Hartwig Atrops 09-20-2012 03:55 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
Hi.

On Thursday 20 September 2012 17:38:50 lina wrote:
> > I am not sure if I understand your problem.
> >
> > On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
> >
> > That _is_ the BIOS menu.
> >
> > What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when
> > you are used to Award BIOS or something like that.
> >
> > The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
> > manufacturer.
>
> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&c
>c=us#N163
>
> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>
> but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.

I've seen an HP with a BIOS like Figure 1 - many years ago. Design has
changed.

> I wish to EnableIntel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
> in BIOS

No idea, my HP's are too old for that.

Regards,

Hartwig


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209201755.54554.Hartwig.Atrops@arcor.de">http://lists.debian.org/201209201755.54554.Hartwig.Atrops@arcor.de

Kelly Clowers 09-20-2012 03:55 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure if I understand your problem.
>>
>> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>>
>> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>>
>> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when you are
>> used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>>
>> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
>> manufacturer.
>
> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#N163
>
> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>
> but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.
>
> I wish to Enable Intel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
> in BIOS

Well, you can't enable both of them! It looks to me like the bios you
mentioned goes with Intel processors, so of course VT-x is what you
want. It looks like many of these BIOSes have the VT-x option under a
tab relating to security. Check there and see what you can find.


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAFoWM=-ig3GthY-1gmQdgyxoqonw5LG9ekDq6Zuy4kxPv6Ld+g@mail.gmail.com

lina 09-20-2012 04:02 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thursday 20,September,2012 11:55 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure if I understand your problem.
>>>
>>> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>>>
>>> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>>>
>>> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when you are
>>> used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>>>
>>> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
>>> manufacturer.
>>
>> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#N163
>>
>> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>>
>> but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.
>>
>> I wish to Enable Intel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
>> in BIOS
>
> Well, you can't enable both of them! It looks to me like the bios you
> mentioned goes with Intel processors, so of course VT-x is what you
> want. It looks like many of these BIOSes have the VT-x option under a
> tab relating to security. Check there and see what you can find.

Yes, under the Security --> OS security I found the

Intel Virtualization Techology --> changed from disable to able.

I was quite silly, in the past I reboot more than 20 times.

Thanks again,

>
>
> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 505B3DFA.7000603@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/505B3DFA.7000603@gmail.com

Kelly Clowers 09-20-2012 04:11 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20,September,2012 11:55 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I am not sure if I understand your problem.
>>>>
>>>> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>>>>
>>>> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>>>>
>>>> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when you are
>>>> used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>>>>
>>>> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
>>>> manufacturer.
>>>
>>> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>>>
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#N163
>>>
>>> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>>>
>>> but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.
>>>
>>> I wish to Enable Intel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
>>> in BIOS
>>
>> Well, you can't enable both of them! It looks to me like the bios you
>> mentioned goes with Intel processors, so of course VT-x is what you
>> want. It looks like many of these BIOSes have the VT-x option under a
>> tab relating to security. Check there and see what you can find.
>
> Yes, under the Security --> OS security I found the
>
> Intel Virtualization Techology --> changed from disable to able.
>
> I was quite silly, in the past I reboot more than 20 times.

Well, it was a good thing I googled around, I would never have
expected it to be under "security" (though in retrospect I can see
why, though I still don't agree).


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAFoWM=-nkUkN8+ThWJ2bYQ53KHZvLCbb-qeq7bu+V0ev8mVkgA@mail.gmail.com

lina 09-20-2012 04:17 PM

enter BIOS menu
 
On Friday 21,September,2012 12:11 AM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 20,September,2012 11:55 PM, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I am not sure if I understand your problem.
>>>>>
>>>>> On (my) HP PC F10 starts the HP Setup Utility, as you wrote.
>>>>>
>>>>> That _is_ the BIOS menu.
>>>>>
>>>>> What do you expect? This BIOS menu looks a little bit different - when you are
>>>>> used to Award BIOS or something like that.
>>>>>
>>>>> The key used to enter the BIOS Setup differes depending on the BIOS
>>>>> manufacturer.
>>>>
>>>> Seriously?! There is none BIOS setup.
>>>>
>>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us#N163
>>>>
>>>> It more like Figure 2 and Figure 3,
>>>>
>>>> but not like Figure 1 or others BIOS menu.
>>>>
>>>> I wish to Enable Intel VT-x and AMD-V virtualization hardware extensions
>>>> in BIOS
>>>
>>> Well, you can't enable both of them! It looks to me like the bios you
>>> mentioned goes with Intel processors, so of course VT-x is what you
>>> want. It looks like many of these BIOSes have the VT-x option under a
>>> tab relating to security. Check there and see what you can find.
>>
>> Yes, under the Security --> OS security I found the
>>
>> Intel Virtualization Techology --> changed from disable to able.
>>
>> I was quite silly, in the past I reboot more than 20 times.
>
> Well, it was a good thing I googled around, I would never have
> expected it to be under "security" (though in retrospect I can see
> why, though I still don't agree).

Finally the virtualbox problem


... This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU ...

was solved by this.

If without google-ing, I barely know the connections between above
message with the enable Intel Virtualization Techology.

Thanks again,

>
>
> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 505B4189.5030808@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/505B4189.5030808@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.